View RSS Feed

akbar

Why CM Punk turning heel isn't that big of a deal.

Rate this Entry
So for weeks, the build up to 1000th Raw had been made into a momentous occasion. While it was fun seeing the old faces for a little reunion, something big needed to happen for the show itself to be memoriable and lead into a exciting angle to lay out through out the summer. With much speculation in what this big angle is going to happen, it was WWE champion CM Punk 'turning his back on the fans' attacking The Great One and thus presumably turning heel.
The actual transaction is very popular amongst the fans, Everyone has been craving for Punk to go back to his old self as the complaints for his stale face promos were increasing by the numbers. However the after effect on the whole picture of a heel Punk isn't all that exciting for several reasons.

Let's face it, Everyone wanted to see a Cena heel turn, including me. Taking aside all the consequences to the business like merchendise sales and going against his ethos, A Cena heel turn would've been one of the most shocking things ever. Most fans who don't use the Internet would've never seen it coming and that this moment would've been etched in their heads forever. When these fans grow up and think about memorable Raw moments they'll talk the night the great Cena turned heel, very much like the Hogan heel turn that most wrestling fans saviour.

WWE has opted out of making that risky move and have gone with the safe easy option in turning CM Punk heel. That's the problem with WWE now is that they don't take risks, they stopped Ryders push, they haven't made Ziggler leave Vickie, they never let Cena get beat by Lesner, they teased a new heel but went with the basic Big Show monster character, the list is endless.

So now that Punk turning heel is the major angle WWE have gone with for this summer (along with Brock/HHH), how will it all pan out? Well for starters, the pros of Punk turning heel are that 1) From what we've seen in the past, Punk is an excellent heel. His excellent mic skills allow him to express his comedic wit in an all out rage when degrading an opponent. The innovator of the Pipe Bomb, famous for breaking the 4th wall promos, now Punk will be able to literally whatever he likes and that should bring the Punk everyone first loved. And 2) WWE is in need of a major heel that draws. Jericho was probably the biggest heel but him not winning anything after the hyped up return has turned him abit stagnant, Show is just doing some typical monster punch everyone because I'm a meanie etc, ADR hasn't managed to rise to the occasion. So Punk has got the popularity and measures to be an effective heel.

However what goes against the heel turn is that: How will the fans react to a baddy Punk, the guy is so popular now that if he carries on with the Anti Hero stuff, he can only get more popular. The amount of fans booing him will depend in which direction he decides to take, if it's the ripping apart backstage politics stuff, not caring about anything he says, reminiscent of an Anti-Hero then I'm pretty sure that we'll have a 'Tweener' in our hands. It could be possible that he'll become a cheating type heel which will get heat from fans but somehow I don't see that happening. Whatever the character aspect he takes, it's looking to be a Cena v Punk feud again. Which brings me to my point of the prospect of this being the summer of Punk's heel turn isn't that significant.

Here you have a wrestler who was born to be a heel, return back to his old self. Whereas if you had Cena heel turn, well I've already talked about the impact of that. And I don't want to sound like a moaner going on about I want Cena heel turn, I'm fine with Punk's heel turn but there's nothing that really shocked me about it. I expect to see a Cena v Punk and maybe Big Show at the SummerSlam PPV with Punk probably cutting good promos about Cena overshadowing him while he was champion and Cena doing the usual stuff.
I would like to point out Im a fan of Punk, I wrote a blog about it actually, so this isn't a Punk bashing blog. I'm more complaining about creative not taking bold moves, not being risky. Like Cena winning MITB, it was all too safe. Agree or disagree, this is just the state of mind I'm currently at.

In a bit everyone

Submit "Why CM Punk turning heel isn't that big of a deal." to Digg Submit "Why CM Punk turning heel isn't that big of a deal." to del.icio.us Submit "Why CM Punk turning heel isn't that big of a deal." to StumbleUpon Submit "Why CM Punk turning heel isn't that big of a deal." to Google

Updated 07-28-2012 at 11:42 AM by akbar

Categories
Thoughts and Opinions

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Man...let it go...Tyhey are not going to turn Cena a heel...Everything they have done since The Nexus storyline ending is to put Cena over.

Now after beign defeated by The Rock it was no different, There was none left for Cena but Punk and since they are really, really afraid of push the Cena button, Punk is the only option for No. 1 Heel Role.

Punk tried but he has been watered down, that is a fact, that and the fact that Cena has been given the light of being bigger than The title (which he apparently is, which is one of the worst mistakes WWE is doing) only left Punk's character with two choices, either remain a face who, although gather some interest is never going to surpass the middle, or to become the Heel that if WWE is craving for, since you know, they have killed all other heels in their Cena feuds.

Like Edge once said "I rather be the No. 1 heel than the No. 2 face", better for Punk to go that route, he is very good at pushing people's buttons when he wants it.
    I would rather see ADR win the WWE championship then see Big Show on my screen again but anyway but to the thread. I'm scared that now CM punk is a heel (He is my fave) he might be buried now.
    Quote Originally Posted by ewantu2
    I would rather see ADR win the WWE championship then see Big Show on my screen again but anyway but to the thread. I'm scared that now CM punk is a heel (He is my fave) he might be buried now.
    Yeah, I fear that too.
    Great blog entry!! You made a good point when you said the WWE doesn't like to take risks anymore, that's so true. They just seem content with recycling the same material over and over again. Also I'm skeptical as to how this CM Punk heel turn will work. He's arguably the most popular guy right now and has been for a long time. I don't know if I see the majority of fans booing him and going against him, especially if its Cena he's having a feud with. I think it will be kind of like when Jericho came back, he was a heel but people love him so much and were so happy to see him that he got a ton of cheers. It will be interesting to see what happens and how the universe responds.
    Also are you a Spurs fan??
    Quote Originally Posted by YES! YES! YES!
    Also are you a Spurs fan??
    I should have you burned at the stake.

Gooner till I die.
    I think WWE wanted him and us fans to start booing him for doing that to the Rock. I believe most of us logically would agree it was going to happen. Read reports about what he was posting on twitter asking Rock about his WWE title for the 1000th episode. Not a real surprise. I honestly don't understand why fans would even want top guys like Punk to be friends with Cena or Rock anyways. He has the target on his back with the WWE title. That goes for any top guy unless your a heel of course trying to form a group so you can keep the WWE title, but really they are midcard talent usually in the WWE that forms a stable together with a top guy.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.