View RSS Feed

akbar

Why Alberto Del Rio hasn't Worked

Rate this Entry
Alberto Del Rio will get a title shot at MITB against Sheamus, so during his injury, the wrestler that was used to fill in his spot Dolph Ziggler, who was well received. WWE have clearly let us know they have no plans to drop Del Rio yet and considering there's a big chance he might be the champion soon, I think it's worth analysing him.

I'll start by saying I think Alberto Del Rio has the ability to be a good heel, his built nicely, has the reputation, has the smug look and he can carry a match. But his promo skills are shockingly bad, while that is a well known fact, WWE has always had solutions to fix this problem, a valet, a tag team partner and in Del Rio's case, a manager. Ricardo Rodriguez, whose increasing popularity has to a backlash for ADR. Nevertheless you need the main man to get over and that just hasn't happened yet, here's some of the other reasons why:

Firstly his character just isn't working , The gimmick of a rich cocky money man similar to that of Ted Dibiase and JBL seems abit too artificial. Tthis is a gimmick which in the past have done wonders for the heels but for ADR to have it now seems a bit too soon to be used again, Dibiase is regarded as one of the greatest heels with that gimmick and after that WWE shelved it for a new generation of fans to experience when it is time to put on another wrestler. Then about 15 years later JBL had this gimmick in 2004 with somewhat of good run as champion even though I wasn't a fan. After JBL left, it would have been smart to shelve the gimmick for awhile but WWE felt the need to put it on ADR in a speedy push. Similar to the new Spiderman film, they've rebooted it too quickly. So other than having the response WWE was craving (heat from fans for being cocky rich guy, someone they can't relate to), they got instead what every wrestler fears most, No Reaction.

Second point is that ADR can wrestle I know but his style of wrestling might be one of his downfalls which not a lot of people think about, but I'm going to throw my theory in anyways. With ADR's wrestling is that watching from a spectator point of view it comes of as boring. He isn't a HBK doing innovating moves like the Showstopper always did but ADR wrestles from a point of view where only a wrestling purists can really enjoy. His move set involves a lot of grapple moves that holds a wrestler down for about 2 minutes until the opponent breaks out of it by using the power of the fans built up mundane claps. Then a little while after ADR will get into another grapple to hold back and forth, after that, maybe some karate style kicks to spice things up.

Then comes his finisher, a Cross arm bar. My issue with this is that it's a total anti climax of a move, from a little spin twist then to bending the arm backwards. No matter how hard you try The fans nor I will ever be conviced that the move is the Signature move to finish of a match. Just watch an ADR match and wait for the moment he does his finisher, the crowd barely react with the absence of any shock factor. Your trying to tell me, an arm bar can be a wrestlers 'Hadouken'. Change it up, give this guy a new explosive finisher. Maybe borrow one of Sheamus's finisher, who by my counting has 5 really good moves to finish a match and God knows how many his going to come up with. I've always been on the edge with a wrestler having a submission for a finisher and while is worked with some great wrestlers, a normal move is just plain easier to get over with the fans.

It also doesn't help that Del Rio was rushed to the top way too quickly before a lot of the universe can get used to him and give him a fan following. His Royal Rumble win was out of the bloom and after that run failed, they wasted the MITB win on him giving two undeserved, forgettable WWE title runs.
It was all abit forced down our throats and the WWE universe didn't like it.
Every wrestler talks about how ADR is tough in the ring and can kick their asses. His past has allowed him to gain a reputation and is the reason for his current state of main event status. As a former MMA fighter, Del Rio needs to learn from Brock Lesnar and be more aggressive in the ring, this I reckon would be a step forward to make ADR an effective heel.

I wait to see if he wins at MITB as I feel it's time for a heel to have one of the main titles. So maybe if his next title run is booked better and he is given a different gmmick or image, it might turn the tides for Del Rio. Many things are against Del Rio and usually this would signal a 'Future Endavoured' alert, but WWE clearly see some potential in him, so they havn't let him go.

Cheers for reading

In a bit everyone.

Submit "Why Alberto Del Rio hasn't Worked" to Digg Submit "Why Alberto Del Rio hasn't Worked" to del.icio.us Submit "Why Alberto Del Rio hasn't Worked" to StumbleUpon Submit "Why Alberto Del Rio hasn't Worked" to Google

Updated 07-09-2012 at 01:49 PM by akbar

Categories
Thoughts and Opinions

Comments

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The gimmick doesn't work because the money has nothing to do with his character. He doesn't flaunt his money so him coming into the arena in an expensive car doesn't matter. People come in limos all the time, why should he be better. The Destiny part is over. He won and that was that. Now he needs to change something. Someone above said a beard or goatee, that might help. Change the armbar to something else. It's embarrassing when someone who knows how to grapple a little sees that move being used and ADR not even doing it right. He's not even raising his hips a bit to put the move in a little bit right like Brock's Kamura. ADR needs a change.
    The real problem is the guys ego IMO. He is great but so boring. He knew the WWE wanted him so he turned down the first contract they offered him because he did not want to go through FCW and wanted a world title within the first year. The 'E did not accept that but they got desperate and later offered him the contract he wanted. I'm assuming in that contract he also had that he would be a mainevent mainstay. Yeah he is good but so are guys like Tyler Black and Kassius Ohno, yet they are in FCW doing the hard yards, earning their spot. Del Rio annoys me, he should be in the mid card right now earning something.
    If he hasn't worked why he is competing for the main event??
    Quote Originally Posted by Y2JLionsault
    The real problem is the guys ego IMO. He is great but so boring. He knew the WWE wanted him so he turned down the first contract they offered him because he did not want to go through FCW and wanted a world title within the first year. The 'E did not accept that but they got desperate and later offered him the contract he wanted. I'm assuming in that contract he also had that he would be a mainevent mainstay. Yeah he is good but so are guys like Tyler Black and Kassius Ohno, yet they are in FCW doing the hard yards, earning their spot. Del Rio annoys me, he should be in the mid card right now earning something.
    But Del Rio did go through FCW. Sin Cara had not gone through FCW.
    The funniest thing about this is that Del Rio is everything that many fans were asking for in a heel. The WWE gives it to them and people still aren't happy because it isn't a certain person that has the IT factor for a heel...

He let everyone know he was coming in old school fashion which was cool.

He had a catch phrase (which he doesn't even use anymore, but you already knew that.) that wasn't annoying to the point that you wanted to change the channel. Now he says "destiny" and people don't like it? Wasn't Orton saying "destiny" at one point?

Good entrance that suits him and he had feuds that didn't drag ass.

He didn't just jump to the main event, he was tested against others that could go in the ring and most of them were former or current world champions.

A heel that could get it done ALONE, even though he had Ricardo.

He can WRESTLE. Many fans overlook this point and the fact that he has put on good matches.

His arm bar may not SEEM like much, but look at other signatures out there and say that every one of them can be done to everyone on the roster. He also has a kick in the head that he uses.

And he is a BELIEVABLE heel.

ADR is better than the miz 10 times over and is less annoying. ADR is a good heel and this is an example about giving fans what they ask for then turning on it. Hope ADR wins the world title and gets a decent run with it.

Just as Pumpkinhead said... If he hasn't worked why he is competing for the main event??
    Ricardo Rodriquez draws more heat

....But you already knew that.
    I prefer your take on him!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.