View RSS Feed

wrestlingfan66513

Blog Wars Olympic Tournament: Top 5 Stables (2002-2012)

Rate this Entry
Welcome to the start of a very special Olympic themed Blog Wars. In honor of the Olympics, I am holding a special Team USA vs Team UK tournament. It will be 4 US users (chosen by the captain, me) against 4 UK users (chosen by their captain VanHooliganX). And might I say we have some big names on here. Today it will be Team UK's Destruction taking on Blog Wars very own founder to kick off the event. Now because of the seriousness of the event, we have selected a panal of 5 fair and balanced judges to pick the winners. Now here is the list!

Top 5 Stables from 2002-2012

Criteria: Impact of Stable, Titles, Their careers after the stable, Crowd Reaction

wrestlingfan66513

Now opening is tough, but someone has to do it. Hopefully I don't let my team down and pull out a win but Destruction is a more than worthy opponent. With that said, USA USA USA.

5. Nexus (WWE)

Notable Members: Wade Barrett, CM Punk, David Otunga, Heath Slater, Justin Gabriel, Skip Sheffield, Darren Young, Michael Tarver, Husky Harris, Mason Ryan, Michael MiGillicutty

After NXT, we thought we had seen the last of most of the rookies until the end of Raw. The group made an impactful debut taking out anyone they could with Daniel Bryan being fired for being to brutal. This went on for a while with the group dominating Raw and Cena with it's numbers. Eventually, they split up into the New Nexus under Punk and the Corre under Barrett and ultimatelty both groups dissolved.

While the effects of the group is undeniable, most of the members look to have a pretty good career. CM Punk is the #2 babyface now, Barrett is rumored to be in for a big push on his return, Prime Time Players look like they are here to stay, Ryback is on a role, and etc.

However, they are #5 because of the lack of titles and they lost a lot of fire after the first few months.

4. Generation Next (ROH)

Notable Members:
Austin Aries, Alex Shelly, Jack Evans, Matt Sydal, Roderick Strong

At ROH's Generation Next show (an event dedicated to the up and comers on the roster in matches voted for by the fans); Aries, Shelly, Evans and Strong stopped a triple threat tag team match from happening and trashed the ballets. They went on to win a tag match against Special K, Shelley won a singles match agaist Hydro and an 8 man tag match against the Briscoes, Jimmy Rave, and John Walters on that same night.

Aries would later go on to ending Samoa Joe's 21 month world title reign and the group had a tag title reign, even defending them in Japan to bring the tag titles prestige. Shelley would be kicked out as Aries became leader and was replaced by Matt Sydal (Evan Bourne). The group had amazing feuds with the Second City Saints, the Embassy, and Ricky Steamboat. They broke up after they said they achieved their goal as the top stars in ROH.

They all went on to amazing singles and tag careers in a variety of different organizations, but the lack of mainstream recognition at that time is why the are #4.

3. Fortune

Notable Members:
Ric Flair, AJ Styles, Kaz, Daniels, Bobby Roode, James Storm, Dougless Williams, Matt Morgan

TNA's version of the Four Horseman. With Ric Flair behind them, AJ had the TV Title, Beer Money further cemented themselves as TNA's greatest tag team with a win over the Guns, and Kaz and Williams dominated the X Division and Storm captured the World Title right before the stable ended. The group made a huge impact by taking out the ECW Originals on Impact making an immeadiate impact. From there they continued to rise to stardom in TNA. Eventually the group broke away from Flair and to prove they could be successful on their own. What made this group stand out was that they were Homegrown TNA talent.

They are #3 due to the fact that the top 2 stables took success a step further.

2. Main Event Mafia

Notable Members:
Kurt Angle, Sting, Scott Steiner, Booker T, Kevin Nash, Sharmell, Karen Angle

While most of the groups have been young talent out for respect; MEM was a group of decorated legends out for respect by taking out the younger talent. They captured all the mens titles in TNA while dominating the roster. Some moments from this stable include the beatdown of Christian Cage, Sting's win in the Ultimate Sacrifice fatal four way, and the Sting and Kurts feud.

Currently, Sting is set to be the first TNA Hall of Famer, Angle is putting over younger guys like Joe, Steiner has gained popularity amoung fans for his twitter rants, Booker T and Nash are under legends contracts for the WWE.

The only thing that hurt this stables chances at being number 1 is this stable...

1. Evolution

Notable Members:
Triple H, Ric Flair, Randy Orton, Batista

Let's face it, no other stable in the last 10 years has been as successful as Evolution and I kind of expected this to be everyone's #1. They dominated the top wrestling show, further cememeted Triple H and Ric Flair' careers as legends, and built up Orton and Batista to become the stars of tomorrow. This team had the looks, the belts and the charisma needed to run Raw during a time with tough competition.

The downfall of the stable came when Randy and Batista moved on to bigger titles and since there can only be one top guy, the group split. Regardless, this was still one of the most impressive stables we have seen in a while.

Destruction

GOD SAVE OUR GRACIOUS QUEEN,
LONG LIVE OUR NOBLE QUEEN,
GOD SAVE THE QUEEN

Hey guys Destruction here representing the great United Kingdom in the Olympic Blog Wars special. Today's topic is the top ten stables in the last ten years. To quote Paul Revere: "The British are Coming, The British are Coming".

Well, I won't waste anymore time with any rubbish insults/jokes, so lets get down to business

5: The Cabinet

Notable Members: John Bradshaw Layfield, Orlando Jordan, The Basham Brothers, Amy Weber, Jillian Hall

Shortly following his WWE Championship victory at The Great American Bash in 2004, John Bradshaw Layfield put together this stable to help him retain the title for over nine months, the longest title reign of the 2000s.

Because of his Cabinet’s help, JBL was able to retain his title against foes like The Undertaker, Kurt Angle and Eddie Guerrero.

The WWE Title was not the only piece of gold that the Cabinet was able to gain as Orlando Jordan won the United States Championship and the Basham Brothers won the Tag Team Championships giving them all the championships on the Smackdown brand at the time.

The group slowly fell apart towards the middle of 2005 when Amy Weber was fired in storyline as JBL’s image consultant and the Basham Brothers were split apart, compliments of the WWE Draft.

While JBL attempted to keep the stable afloat with appointing publicist Jillian Hall, the group fell apart by the following year when Orlando Jordan left the WWE and Jillian was “fired” by JBL following a failed defense of the United States Championship that he had won from Chris Benoit at Wrestlemania 22.

4: Nexus

Notable Members: Wade Barrett, CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, Heath Slater, Justin Gabriel, Darren Young, Skip Sheffield, Michael McGillicutty, Husky Harris, Michael Tarver, David Otunga, John Cena, Mason Ryan

Originally debuted on Raw in 2010, destroying the set of Raw, along with John Cena, CM Punk and Justin Roberts. Originally put together of the 8 NXT season one competitors, their original goal was to gain contracts on Raw, with the exception of Wade Barrett, who had a contract for winning the show, but they moved onto trying to take over the WWE

Daniel Bryan left almost immediately after being fired from the WWE for being too non-PG, the remaining 7 members main evented Summerslam, against seven of the WWE's best superstars.

John Cena (later left after Survivor Series), Michael McGillicutty and Husky Harris was added to the group, before CM Punk took over from Wade Barrett, and renaming the group “The New Nexus” He added Mason Ryan as the bodyguard of the group. Wade Barrett, Justin Gabriel and Heath Slater jumped to form the Corre on Smackdown. From there onwards, the group went mostly downhil, unable to help Punk in his feud against Randy Orton. Although mediocre during their later days, their debut and first few months cemented them as a memorable group for the next few years at least

3. Fortune

Notable Members: Ric Flair, AJ Styles, Kazarian, Bobby Roode, James Storm, Matt Morgan, Douglas Williams, Christopher Daniels, Desmond Wolfe

On the June 17 edition of Impact! Flair announced that he would reform the legendary stable Four Horsemen under the new name Fourtune and compared Styles to his former Four Horsemen partner Arn Anderson, Kazarian to Barry Windham, Roode and Storm to Ole Anderson and Tully Blanchard and Wolfe to Lex Luger. Wolfe later left the group, and were replace by Morgan and Williams.

They then broke off in a feud with EV2.0, before joining Immortal. Beer Money picked up the tag titles, Styles the TV Title and Kazarian the X-Division Champion, until February 2nd 2011, when Fortune turned on Immortal, turning face. They later began a feud with them, until the World Title broke up the group, with Roode turning heel, to become the World Champion – when he became the longest reigning TNA champion since it's inception. Despite not being around for as long as other stables, they are still one of TNA's successes.

2. Main Event Mafia

Notable Members: Kurt Angle, Sting, Scott Steiner, Samoa Joe, Booker T, Kevin Nash, Traci Brooks and Sharmell

The goal of the Main Event Mafia was that the older wrestlers demanded the newer ones show respect. Evident by battling the TNA front line, the Mafia at times held every male championship in TNA. Members occasionally joined as a one off, or for a short time, i.e. Kip James and Christian Cage, but the goal was that the MEM wanted respect. Samoa Joe a one off exception, who at King of the Mountain joined forces with Angle, allowing him to become TNA World Championship

This group was at the top of TNA for the time they were together, and with AJ Styles and Jeff Jarrett as main rivals, the quality of matches were decent, however at the same time, it took time, and championships away from the younger generation, unlike my number one choice

1. Evolution

Notable Members: Ric Flair, Triple H, Batista, Randy Orton

Evolution was one of the WWE’s dominant factions during the 2000s and helped launch the careers of Randy Orton and Batista to become future multi-time world champions.
First formed in 2003, the group was the WWE’s own take on the Four Horsemen

The group incorporated Ric Flair’s gimmick of dressing in formal suits when confronting foes and Triple H’s trademark ruthless heel tactics with Flair representing “the past,” Triple H representing the “present” and Orton and Batista representing “the future.”

At its peak in success, Evolution held onto every male-based championship on the Raw brand with Triple H as World Heavyweight Champ, Orton as Intercontinental Champ and Flair and Batista as Tag Team champs.

In storyline, Triple H’s self-centered focus on the World Heavyweight Championship would prove to be the death of this dominant stable as Orton was betrayed by the group when he became World Heavyweight Champ in 2004. Batista turned his back on Triple H after learning of Hunter’s attempts to have Batista leave for Smackdown to compete for John Bradshaw Layfield’s WWE Championship.

------------------------

Now remember judges, I don't want you to (not)vote for me because of my country, so be fair.

But remember, I love you all. More than that WF. He's using you to get votes. Unlike me

Ignore his last bit judges and remember to vote for the best list. If that happens to be me then so be it.

Submit "Blog Wars Olympic Tournament: Top 5 Stables (2002-2012)" to Digg Submit "Blog Wars Olympic Tournament: Top 5 Stables (2002-2012)" to del.icio.us Submit "Blog Wars Olympic Tournament: Top 5 Stables (2002-2012)" to StumbleUpon Submit "Blog Wars Olympic Tournament: Top 5 Stables (2002-2012)" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Awesome work both of you!
    now how is it that I vote?
    Quote Originally Posted by Asherdelampyr
    Awesome work both of you!
    now how is it that I vote?
    Include you vote in you comment. Bold it or underline or make it somehow noticable, this helps for tallying
    Quote Originally Posted by edgor95
    Include you vote in you comment. Bold it or underline or make it somehow noticable, this helps for tallying
    This one is a bit different.
    I gotta go with ​Destruction
    Shoulda went with top 3 because we have had very few stables in the last decade and most of them sucked other than a few such as MEM, Evolution, and Nexus. I have only watched ROH since it came on TV so forgive me for not recognizing theres. Fortune sucked if you ask me. They should have had that stable to begin with and have Flair lead them. Instead they wanted us to boo Flair which is downright stupid.
    Other notables: 3 Live Kru, Planet Jarrett, SES
    wrestlingfan66513 FTW! You both had incredible lists. Having Generation Next part of your list kind of did it for me.

As for @Destruction; I was always a fan of The Cabinet. Hell on both behalves I would have ranked The Cabinet higher than Nexus.

Either way, you both battled it out nicely.

Side Note;

@wrestlingfan66513; Olympic tournament?? Great concept. It would be nice if there were bloggers from the Great White North who could take part!! LOL
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.