View RSS Feed

Poot-Hair

Who Betta' Than Kanyon: The Moral Debate

Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Hey guys it's the Breezey butting, Ric Flair strutting (receding hairline included), child scaring, mullet wearing Poot-Hair here with yet another sphincter tightening adventure on your computer. Yessss My blogs are more exciting that watching Zach Gowen with one arm tied behind his back climb a ladder to reach his fake leg on a rope. Now that the grand introductions are out of the way, it's time for me to lay another doodoo nugget of knowledge on your heads.

There once was a man that wrestled in the 1990's-early 2000's. This man was trained by the Fabulous Moolah and Afa the Wild Somoan. Throughout his career, which included WCW, WWE, PWG, and TNA, he had managed to hold the tag team belts with with 3 reigns and a U.S. Title Reign. Known as the "Innovator of Offense" he could fly with the Cruiserweights, bang with the Heavyweights, and pretty much out-talk anyone on the roster at any given time. I'm talking about Chris "Kanyon" Klucsarits. I'm also talking about one of the business' first openly homosexual competitor.

Kanyon was on record as saying that he felt that him being homosexual was one of the things that kept him from being a bigger star than he was. He even had a gig on the Indies where he was saying that the reason he was fired from the WWE was because of his sexuality (albeit Kayfabe). It is even speculated by some that one of the reasons Kanyon commited suicide (of many reasons including being bipolar and manic depressive) was because TNA's embrace of Orlando Jordan's sexual preferences, a role he felt that should have been given to him in his prime. I'm not saying this is the reason behind his untimely death, but I am saying it would make sense.

The purpose of this blog today is simple; I want to know if a major Professional Wrestling company will ever allow an openly homosexual male to be in it's organization without backlash and if an openly gay man will ever be allowed to be the Heavyweight Champion. Let me preach on it.

Will a Major Wrestling Company ever allow an openly gay wrestler on its roster without backlash? My answer to this question is yes.....eventually. We all saw what happened with Orlando Jordan in TNA. TNA gave Jordan(an openly bisexual man) a Bisexual gimmick where he would descend from the rafters wrapped in caution tape, and rub all over his competitors in the ring, and suck face with both men and women in between. After a few weeks of this, TNA quickly backtracked on the character and stuck Jordan in a tag team with Eric Young. TNA was catching flak from a TON of people in how they were portraying him, and having a gay character on T.V. in general so it was better for them to just write him off and eventually release him in their minds. This is why is put "without backlash" in the question.

What I'm getting to is nowadays people have become more accepting to gay people, with several states even adopting legislation allowing marriage between two men or two women. Even moreso now than in 2010, when OJ had his time in TNA. Now, in my opinion, would be the perfect time for a major company like WWE to begin to use an openly gay character and push him to the moon. I mean they're already so "socially active" so why not add "gay friendly" to that list as well?

Will a Major Company ever allow an openly gay man as Champion? That answer is a little tricky. I honestly feel that IF WWE, TNA, or RoH were to ever allow a gay man as champion it would be in the very very distant future. Especially given how "politically correct" the WWE has become recently, if they ever did allow a competitor to be their hood-ornament gay marriage would have to be universally accepted enough that there wouldn't be a huge backlash for them doing so. I feel that they'd be a little more open to allowing an openly gay man compete moreso than be "the next John Cena" at this moment in time.

Now with all this said, let me say I am a completely heterosexual male. I have a wonderful wife of 5 years and I have a child on the way due January 20, 2013. I've had this blog in my head for a long while to do, and I have debated doing it due to fear of all the flaming that would occur. I decided of course (as you're reading this) to go ahead and post this blog because I am genuinely interested in hearing your opinions on this subject.

Am I right? Wrong? Full of shit? Pictures of you humping your favorite teddy? Melt in your mouth cookie recipes? Leave all comments below, and please guys, keep it respectful. You can disagree with my opinions and call me an idiot or moron but please don't flame. Let's have a good ol' debate on this! Until next time, peace guys!!

Submit "Who Betta' Than Kanyon: The Moral Debate" to Digg Submit "Who Betta' Than Kanyon: The Moral Debate" to del.icio.us Submit "Who Betta' Than Kanyon: The Moral Debate" to StumbleUpon Submit "Who Betta' Than Kanyon: The Moral Debate" to Google

Comments

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    No and No. Because Wrestling is a business that caters to the fanbase who bring in the most money. That fanbase "usually" consist of straight males ranging from kids to young adults. And the fact of the matter is most straight males do not want to see Orlando Jordan coming down from the rafters with caution tape squirting lotion on himself (more less with a world title). I think you put a key word in their you said OPENLY gay... I don't agree with the lifestyle and I never will. but my thing is, he was doing just fine with the JBL cabinet gimmick a young cocky arrogant heel, and he had a nice U.S. title run. Why not think of another gimmick like that instead of being "open" and expressing your private life on live t.v.? And I'm not the only one who feels that way because TNA lost alot of veiwers during that segment and as you stated they got ALOT of flak. Anyways thats just my thoughts very good blog BTW
    Updated 08-09-2012 at 01:27 PM by dub
    Whilst Linda McMahon is running for a Republican post, I think they'll definitely in the short term keep away any homosexual gimmick due to her general stance on it. Maybe when the McMahon's wind down, then we might see the chances flow more freely.
    I do think that it might happen in the distant future, but not with a gay gimmick like Jordan. Just a normal gimmick who in the media said he's gay and has a normal gimmick (plus some skills). I, in fact, think that when/if gay marriage is allowed in all the States that WWE will be shoving down our throats that they have the first Gay World Champion to show that they are politically correct.

I personally don't see what is so special about being gay since it's just like falling for blondes but than with your own sex which is why I think it's not a lifestyle. But I will not go further on this cause I don't want a discussion about being gay. :P (I'm straight btw)
    I personally dont lik comparing kanyon to orlando jordan. to me it always seemed like jordan was played for campiness, though to be fair i i had stopped watching tna somewhere after that so i dunno if the gimmick evolved or what.
    Yet again a "spectacular introduction" to a great blog. Despite your blog topics, I always tune in simply to read your "grand intros". Now that I have that out of the way, on to your blog.

Such a touchy topic you've decided to throw up for debate. Nonetheless, your absolutely right IMO. I can't necessarily see "any" company pushing a champion with a "homosexual" gimmick. Yet what with the E' and their anti-bullying /politically correct (doing the "right thing") views on matters, I can easily see them pushing an openly "gay" wrestler. Wether or not that very wrestler would capture "heavyweight gold" is another story.

I will agree with your take on the matter.
    Yet again, great blog bud.
    The WWE tried to do the Billy and Chuck thing about a decade ago. I don't think we will see an over the top character like Orlando Jordan, but a person that has another gimmick, but happens to be gay. Consider for example: Stone Cold, JBL, Hogan, Hall, Nash, Sheamus, etc. None of these guys had any sexuality to their wrestling persona. I could see a guy with a character like that who just happens to be gay in real life. Obviously, being gay in real life wouldn’t work for (or would be more difficult for) characters like Ric Flair, Macho Man, Val Venis, or others that make sexual comments or have relationships with women as part of their gimmick.
    I'm on the fence as far as my opinion but the blog is fabulous. Your very good and I respect your opinions. I would lean towards letting a gay wrestler be Champion if he truly had what it takes.

Professional wrestling is supposed to be the one sport where everything is free game. We've seen WWE capitalize on stereotypes, race and other pushy subjects. Why stop when it comes to pushing a gay wrestler.

In fact, the WWE's World Heavyweight Championship has from from a 5'6'' wrestler to a 7'3'' wrestler. The WHC has sported black, white, Canadian, Mexican, Russian, Irish and plenty others.

If a gay guy truly has what it takes, then push him. But ofcourse this is the Politically correct era so Vince isn't risking anything. Unless Connecticut makes Gay Marriage Legal, then you bet your ass Vince is going to sign the next gay wrestler he sees. Its all politics.

Great blog bro.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.