View RSS Feed

Renevious

MITB Doesn't Earn Interest

Rate this Entry
What's up everybody, Renevious here again. I hope all of you are doing well and thanks in advance for reading. This is probably going to be one of my shorter blogs, but I can't promise anything. We'll just have to see where the muses take me. Anyway, I'm here to talk about why I feel that Money in the Bank needs to go away.

If you go back and look at my old blogs, I'm sure you'll find the one where I talk about how we have too many pay per views throughout the year. This has been a problem for a long time, and I don't think the suits in Connecticut realize just how much damage it does to the product. Some of the biggest complaints we have as fans are that there's not enough buildup for big matches and that feuds/storylines are just not original and are too short. One of the biggest contributors to this problem is that they feel the need to shove an overpriced pay per view down our throats a minimum of once every month. And just like Isaac Newton said, every event must have a main event (I'm paraphrasing). So, for the sake of upping the quantity, we have to sacrifice quality. But, that blog has already been written. I'm here to talk specifically about why MITB was once a cool idea, but now it's time to let that dead dog lie.

As we all remember, MITB started out as a gimmick match that took place during Wrestlemania 21. Then it eventually became its own pay per view event. Not to mention, there were years where we had a MITB match at Wrestlemania in addition to the two matches that took place at the actual MITB pay per view. In other words, we've had plenty of these matches since it began. Now, I have to admit that when it first started I thought it was an awesome idea. It was like winning the Royal Rumble but getting to use that title shot whenever you wanted. It was actually exciting to know that we had a #1 contender on deck at all times. This brought an additional element to the title picture that wasn't ever there before. But then shit went to hell.

First of all, out of all of the MITB briefcases that have ever been cashed in, RVD was the only one to ever do it like a man. And that was what I thought it was supposed to be about. You had the briefcase. You decided when you wanted to cash it in. You scheduled the match. And presto, you're in the title picture. Unfortunately, WWE decided that they wanted to adopt more of the "Hardcore Championship" rules approach to the whole thing. This led to the MITB briefcase being there to use only right after the existing champ just got his ass whipped and was already half dead. If he could so much as get to his feet, he was about to get pwned and lose his belt. Now, I understand and accept the fact that if the briefcase is truly to be cashed in whenever a superstar wishes, then this situation does make sense. But come on guys, that shit is cheap. It's just another way to make the title change hands way too easily and cheapen the championship. Plus, it makes the person cashing it in look more like a coward and less like a world champion. Which bring me to my other major point...

Having a 100% success rate for Money in the Bank briefcase holders takes all the fun and excitement out of it. Ever since they decided to give the winner of the Royal Rumble a title shot at Wrestlemania, it's been a crap shoot whether or not that individual would actually win the belt when his moment came. That made it interesting. This has been completely lost on MITB. It has passed the point of no return. There have been too many successful turns with the briefcase, and it's too late to change it now. So that leaves us with two choices. We can either keep it going the way it is, and we'll all just know for a fact that whoever holds the briefcase will soon be champion. Or, someone can buck the trend and not be successful for once. But the problem with that is after all the consecutive wins, whoever becomes the first loser will have forever have his career tarnished by that one defining moment. No one deserves that. The Undertaker is known for never losing at Wrestlemania. This person will forever be known as the first guy to win MITB and not get the job done. You can't come back from that. Even if he was shunned to TNA, that shit would probably follow him down there. Just imagine the crowd chants that would come of this.

So in closing, I choose option C. Let's just lay this gimmick to rest. It had a good run, but it was what it was: a gimmick. And gimmicks aren't meant for the long haul. Let's pull the plug on this one before it gets out of hand and just move on. RIP MITB 2005 - (hopefully) 2012. Anyway, I know it was a lot longer than I thought it was going to be, but thanks so much for sticking til the end. Until next time, God Bless.

Submit "MITB Doesn't Earn Interest" to Digg Submit "MITB Doesn't Earn Interest" to del.icio.us Submit "MITB Doesn't Earn Interest" to StumbleUpon Submit "MITB Doesn't Earn Interest" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Enjoyed the blog mate however i have to say that MITB is one of my favourite ppv's of the year. Your point about cashing it in when the champ is half dead after a match is very valid and i suppose as you say it does in a way cheapen the concept, however i was always a fan of when Edge cashed it in in that way. God bless the 'Ultimate Opportunist'.

Once again, an enjoyable read
    Quote Originally Posted by Rated_R(ob)KO
    So, with all of that being said... we know John Cena will win MITB this year for RAW so, he becomes #HEEL??
    Wait, we don't know that yet.
    I love Money in the Bank. The matches have always been good, and they put over young talent (not sure what the deal is with the WWE Championship outing this year though). Plus since they got their own PPV the matches have gone from a twenty-minute scramble to being more drawn out and structured - they've been given a new lease of life in my opinion.

I would disagree with putting them back onto WrestleMania because the PPV incarnation has been successful for the past two years - it's one of my favourite PPVs.

Whilst it has become predictable that the winner will be champion, it tends to give us a good storyline regardless. Daniel Bryan got a great storyline from it, and it took him to bigger and better things - he's now one of four people I watch Raw for (Jericho, Punk and AJ are the other three).

So no, I respectfully disagree with your idea to end Money in the Bank. I do agree that we get too many PPVs a year now, but sadly there is no chance of WWE cutting any of them. If they were going to I would suggest getting rid of Over the Limit and moving Extreme Rules up to May (it gives things from WrestleMania a chance to settle down and new storylines to develop before the next PPV - Backlash never did anything for me, and I only watch ER because it offers up no DQ matches).
    I was thinking about who would win this MITB match. I was thinking Cena because he is supposed to be getting a shot vs Punk at Summerslam, but he isn't going to retain. I doubt that will happen because how negative that would be to become the first to cash in and lose. Def shouldn't be the face of the company. Of the guys in it, Kane, Cena, Jericho, Big Show are the only ones I know at this time. I'd probably give the edge to Big Show because his recent heel turn. Jericho is my sleeper, but since he may be leaving soon.....I find it doubtful for him to win. Cena I already addressed and kane was just in world title matches with Punk recently. Hopefully they put Dolph in this match. He won the world title from Edge and held the belt for like less than 20 minutes on SD. If Dolph is in, hopefully he wins it.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.