View RSS Feed

Renevious

MITB Doesn't Earn Interest

Rating: 2 votes, 3.50 average.
What's up everybody, Renevious here again. I hope all of you are doing well and thanks in advance for reading. This is probably going to be one of my shorter blogs, but I can't promise anything. We'll just have to see where the muses take me. Anyway, I'm here to talk about why I feel that Money in the Bank needs to go away.

If you go back and look at my old blogs, I'm sure you'll find the one where I talk about how we have too many pay per views throughout the year. This has been a problem for a long time, and I don't think the suits in Connecticut realize just how much damage it does to the product. Some of the biggest complaints we have as fans are that there's not enough buildup for big matches and that feuds/storylines are just not original and are too short. One of the biggest contributors to this problem is that they feel the need to shove an overpriced pay per view down our throats a minimum of once every month. And just like Isaac Newton said, every event must have a main event (I'm paraphrasing). So, for the sake of upping the quantity, we have to sacrifice quality. But, that blog has already been written. I'm here to talk specifically about why MITB was once a cool idea, but now it's time to let that dead dog lie.

As we all remember, MITB started out as a gimmick match that took place during Wrestlemania 21. Then it eventually became its own pay per view event. Not to mention, there were years where we had a MITB match at Wrestlemania in addition to the two matches that took place at the actual MITB pay per view. In other words, we've had plenty of these matches since it began. Now, I have to admit that when it first started I thought it was an awesome idea. It was like winning the Royal Rumble but getting to use that title shot whenever you wanted. It was actually exciting to know that we had a #1 contender on deck at all times. This brought an additional element to the title picture that wasn't ever there before. But then shit went to hell.

First of all, out of all of the MITB briefcases that have ever been cashed in, RVD was the only one to ever do it like a man. And that was what I thought it was supposed to be about. You had the briefcase. You decided when you wanted to cash it in. You scheduled the match. And presto, you're in the title picture. Unfortunately, WWE decided that they wanted to adopt more of the "Hardcore Championship" rules approach to the whole thing. This led to the MITB briefcase being there to use only right after the existing champ just got his ass whipped and was already half dead. If he could so much as get to his feet, he was about to get pwned and lose his belt. Now, I understand and accept the fact that if the briefcase is truly to be cashed in whenever a superstar wishes, then this situation does make sense. But come on guys, that shit is cheap. It's just another way to make the title change hands way too easily and cheapen the championship. Plus, it makes the person cashing it in look more like a coward and less like a world champion. Which bring me to my other major point...

Having a 100% success rate for Money in the Bank briefcase holders takes all the fun and excitement out of it. Ever since they decided to give the winner of the Royal Rumble a title shot at Wrestlemania, it's been a crap shoot whether or not that individual would actually win the belt when his moment came. That made it interesting. This has been completely lost on MITB. It has passed the point of no return. There have been too many successful turns with the briefcase, and it's too late to change it now. So that leaves us with two choices. We can either keep it going the way it is, and we'll all just know for a fact that whoever holds the briefcase will soon be champion. Or, someone can buck the trend and not be successful for once. But the problem with that is after all the consecutive wins, whoever becomes the first loser will have forever have his career tarnished by that one defining moment. No one deserves that. The Undertaker is known for never losing at Wrestlemania. This person will forever be known as the first guy to win MITB and not get the job done. You can't come back from that. Even if he was shunned to TNA, that shit would probably follow him down there. Just imagine the crowd chants that would come of this.

So in closing, I choose option C. Let's just lay this gimmick to rest. It had a good run, but it was what it was: a gimmick. And gimmicks aren't meant for the long haul. Let's pull the plug on this one before it gets out of hand and just move on. RIP MITB 2005 - (hopefully) 2012. Anyway, I know it was a lot longer than I thought it was going to be, but thanks so much for sticking til the end. Until next time, God Bless.

Submit "MITB Doesn't Earn Interest" to Digg Submit "MITB Doesn't Earn Interest" to del.icio.us Submit "MITB Doesn't Earn Interest" to StumbleUpon Submit "MITB Doesn't Earn Interest" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by davieoooo
    I think they should stick with it at Wrestlemania and scrap the PPV. To me it seemed more important aswell being on the biggest show of the year, it added more excitement to Wrestlemania and fans knew they were in for a great match.
    I agree with this, loose the PPV. Make it the WM equivilent of the the RR winner.

For example the RR winner gtes his WM shot, the winner of the MiTB has the next 10 months to cash it in before the next RR.

But also, it should be done the RVD way. Man up and get some credibility, or, only use it for heels to take the low route.
    Ren-

I have to agree that the MITB Gimmick match itself is good. The booking of the winner has been horrible. I see your point of whoever loses being tarnished...Only if it's a younger superstar (Wade Barrett for example). However, if Cena was to cash it in (even without turning heel) and lose, it would not tarnish what legacy he would leave. I think the same could be said for Randy Orton at this point in his career. Honestly, the best would be for Big Show to do it. Have him cash it in at WM and add another to the list of Big Show Blunder moments on the Grandest Stage of them All! This would not hurt his legacy as the biggest giant of all. Hell, if Mayweather couldn't tarnish that legacy, MITB's first failure wouldn't be jack.

I agree PPVs are out of control and this is one that could definitely be removed and not missed... So long as the MITB matches remain. Perhaps Raw gets theirs at Summer Slam and SmackDown gets theirs at Survivor Series. Spread them out a bit ya know.

Either way, good take on a topic I have thought about myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by akbar
    Very Intriguing thought, unless Superman does it in a manly way and challenges the champion to a honorable match.
    Personally I don't see Cena going heel. So I agree with your point, when you say he'd challenge in an honorable way. Yet in the same run, imagine the heat Cena would get, cashing in on Punk later on that night. The crowd would flip.
    Quote Originally Posted by PhEonYx
    Personally I don't see Cena going heel. So I agree with your point, when you say he'd challenge in an honorable way. Yet in the same run, imagine the heat Cena would get, cashing in on Punk later on that night. The crowd would flip.
    That would be epic !
    I actually root for someone to be the first to lose the match after cashing in the briefcase the coward's way. I don't think it would hurt anyone's career. Just will make that person work two times as hard and win the title at Wrestlemania. That's 200 times bigger than winning a briefcase!!!
    It's not going to be 100% success rate forever and it does not take the fun and excitement away because everyone still thinks someone will lose every year.It wont ruin the career it could make one if a face loses and he gets really pissed and turns heel. Also don't make a blog again thanks.
    Thanks for the idea Renevious. I do not think it should die down, cause it has excitement to it. The people who cash it in just need style. I mean I get enthralled when someone runs out to cash it in, but it would be even more amazing if that person lost.
    You are right people should loose sometimes that way it is more unpredictable who will win like the RR. Althought it does cheapen the championship, it helps young stars get a chance to be in the limelight of things.
    And yes, people should cash it in more cleanly. God bless
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.