View RSS Feed

Another_Big_Guy

Completely Out Of Character

Rate this Entry
Hello again people, I have decided to write up another blog about a topic that has bothered me for so long so I thought I would do it since I have some free time on my hands.

My last blog which I wrote the other day was about fans hardly ever being listened to but that was the least of my thoughts compared to this one. The topic in question is the lack of "larger than life" characters in the wrestling world nowadays. Characters and people who everyone knows of and easily recognises and can get behind, I just don't think it happens much anymore.

My example for this and I hate to be another person stuck in the attitude are but that era had a long list of characters to this date people still remember for their big persona's etc. The obvious ones are ofcourse The Rock, Stone Cold, HHH, Bret Hart, Undertaker, Kane, Kurt Angle, Mr Mcmahon (AE vince was way better), mick foley and every persona of his, HBK, DX, the APA, etc the list goes on. These were characters we enjoyed seeing week in week out, we latched on to these people and to this day still do despite how some are watered down or not wrestling anymore.

The same goes for old school guys, like Ric Flair, Harley Race, Hulk Hogan, the von erich's, andre the giant and once again the list goes on. All these days I have listed have stood the test of time, some not so good and we all know who they are. I guess my point is today's crop of young guys etc while talented just don't have persona's we can latch on to nor care about. How many times can we see a guy with a normal guy with a normal name with a tiny quirk? Its boring and goes hand in hand with the lack of new main eventers. If it isnt that example its a rehash of an old gimmick and most of time the guy who had the gimmick first did it way better.

I won't lump the likes of cm punk, daniel bryan, austin aries etc in the crop of big persona's because its all the same "im the best in the world" gimmick and quite frankly while they can wrestle better than anyone its still boring, they just seem like reqular guys. I personally want to see characters created that are so out of this world where the guy portraying them lives the character outside the ring, like the old days. I mean where are new characters in the mold of the likes of taker, kane, mankind etc? Have we become so bored and cynical that when a character turns up we mock it because its different or comes across as silly?...

I miss the days were big heel characters were legitemately hated the second their mouth opened, did heel moves in the ring and just came off as a complete !@#$hole. Its annoying today when wwe and tna try to make big heels yet people cheer them anyway and the ones made face get booed. Everyone raves about the shoot heard around the world last year and the evolution of punk, has anything changed since then? I for one havent seen anything...

Look at a guy like HHH for example; he is one of the few who can go heel and be hated to death and back again be loved dearly. I remember the evolution days and wanting to see his arse get kicked every damn week, thats how strong his character was. Same with JBL, while he wasnt the best in the ring his character was brilliant and recognisable and quite frankly one of the best heels this last decade. Jericho as well has remained consistent and fresh over the years and his character hasnt suffered.

I personally just cannot care for a good majority of today's roster because I'm not given a reason to, they come across as just "guys" to me, not big characters sadly. Look at boogeyman, he couldnt wrestle and was a bit silly but he was a larger than life character and the guy playing him obviously had fun doing it. Its that kind of dedication I don't see anymore, sure some guys can talk and wrestle buts its nothing if we as fans have no reason to latch on to them. Cody Rhodes I enjoy because of his old school heritage and how he carries himself in and out of the ring. When was the last time anyone seen a character that made such an impact that they had to tune in to see what they would do next or who they were?

I guess my final point would be that while todays guys can talk and wrestle most don't have decent gimmicks or characters we can latch on to and care about. How can we call them "entertainer's" when most hardly ever entertain? Some do, most don't. Where are the guys with recognisible catch phrases" taunts? mannerisms? moves to some extent that get the crowd fired up and red hot?...

Maybe I am being petty or indeed cynical too but thats just how I feel. I'm a big fan of old school wrestling and the wrestlers it gave us. While the likes of Flair is now completely off his head every day I still enjoying him carry on in the ring but anyway. I do look forward to everyones thoughts on this whether you agree or not, thanks for reading.

Cheers

Submit "Completely Out Of Character" to Digg Submit "Completely Out Of Character" to del.icio.us Submit "Completely Out Of Character" to StumbleUpon Submit "Completely Out Of Character" to Google

Comments

Allow me to beg your indulgence for just one second. His name is Damien Sandow and his duty is to usher in the new era of enlightenment, that you the ignorant masses so clamor for.

You're welcome.
    Allow me to beg your indulgence for just one second. His name is Damien Sandow and his duty is to usher in the new era of enlightenment, that you the ignorant masses so clamor for.

You're welcome.
    ^^^ Funny. I was going to do something similiar with Dean Ambrose, but this was just perfect
    I think CM punk qualified during the SES storyline and for a while after his big promo.

I've always been one to prefer the more realistic gimmicks but I think we're missing a character with that supernatural/out-there tinge (undertaker, early kane, boogeyman, arguably the brood)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage
    I think CM punk qualified during the SES storyline and for a while after his big promo.

I've always been one to prefer the more realistic gimmicks but I think we're missing a character with that supernatural/out-there tinge (undertaker, early kane, boogeyman, arguably the brood)
    Can't wait till ascension makes their debut on Raw or Smackdown

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.