View RSS Feed

DK Wrestling Savior

Higher Ratings For TNA...How?

Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
Ok fans. The Saviour here with an odd, 3rd post this week. I'm actually going to blog about a thread from the forum that I found very interesting. And while I was responding, I found my response getting too long and figured I'd make a blog about it.

Now, over the last 4 or 5 weeks, I've been very much in favor of TNA over WWE. They've been putting on better shows and focusing more on wrestling. However, the ratings don't exactly reflect any sort of change in the large gap between the two organizations. There was a report yesterday about Impact's rating and his still hasn't really broken out of the 1.00 range, even though it's putting on excellent quality shows. So, how can this be changed? What are they doing wrong? What should they change? While it's easy to blame Hogan(s), Bischoff, Dixie Carter, etc, there's more to it than that. This blog is going to focus on increasing TNA's audience.

Let's break it down and see, as the thread says, What Will Be TNA's Savior?

1. Bobby Roode Is World Champion This isn't something I would change. I think Bobby Roode needs to be champion for much longer than he already has been. The problem is, anyone who might be tuning into TNA for the first time, would have no clue who Bobby Roode is. TNA needs to market this guy. Get him on talk shows. Get him to appear at highly publicized sporting events. He is very much a Marketable commodity and they should capitalize on it. He needs to really become a known figure throughout the US, and even all of North America. Perhaps a Canadian Tour and a Mexican Tour could help this.

2. Spike TV Is Not the Outlet They Need. I know this cannot change anytime soon, as they just signed a 2 year extension. But Spike TV really prides itself on being a "Man" Station. With shows like MMA Uncensored, 1000 Ways to Die, and Manswers, Spike TV doesn't exactly offer too many options for women and even less options for children. And that's where they're limited. The male 18-34 demographic finds other options, not just wrestling, so they only have a small piece of the pie. They need to draw more women and children to their product. I think that may happen if they were to move to say, FX. Fox has tons of different stations that can help promote. And they usually do. As opposed to NBC where they don't cross promote too often. Basically, you don't see USA shows promoted on NBC, but you do see FX programming promoted on Fox.

3. Get On The Road...Please! I'm repeating myself from an earlier blog from months back, but TNA needs to get on the road. It's annoying just seeing the Impact Zone at this point. Here's what I envision. College Campuses. College kids flock to any type of event that's going on throughout the campus. At a mere $10/ticket, well within a standard college student's budget, they could easily pull in 5000 - 7000 people for an event. And throughout the day, have the wrestlers interacting with the students on campus. Throw in a good cause here and there. A little push toward the importance of education, etc. And start at small campuses. Florida International, Central Florida, Florida A&M, Louisiana Monroe, Georgia Southern, etc. And do it in early fall, when their arenas aren't being booked for basketball. Instant success.

4. Take Part in the Themes of Pop Culture. WCW had some events that coincided with what was happening at the time. They usually themed a Spring Break Nitro that would take place in Daytona Beach. They had the Road Wild PPV that would take place at the Sturgis Bike Ralley, etc. And there's a billion events that take place in America at certain times of the year. Imagine doing a show in New Orleans during Mardi Gras, or a show revolving around America, in DC, near the 4th of July. Cap it off with a huge Firework Display. The opportunities here are endless. And there's probably some cheap pub you can get out of it too.

5. Finally, Piggy Back off of WWE. What I mean by this is, people like familiarity. WWE may own the trademark names of matches like TLC and Money in the Bank, they don't own the style of match itself. All TNA has to do is rename them and do something similar. This would garner interest based on comparison alone. Would a MITB match with Ziggles, Santino, Cody Rhodes, and Kofi Kingston be as good as one with AJ Styles, Jeff Hardy, RVD, and A Double? If they had this match, how many people would tune in, just to check it out? Especially if you decided to give for free, what WWE would make you pay for. And the same goes with TLC. Hell, most of the people who put that match on the map are already with the company.

Well, obviously, a lot needs to change if TNA is ever going to reach that 2.0 + rating and be taken seriously as a threat to the evil empire up north.

I hope you all enjoyed this read. If you have other ideas, please comment and let's hear em.

Thanks for reading. And check out this weeks' Sudden Impact if you haven't already read it.

Submit "Higher Ratings For TNA...How?" to Digg Submit "Higher Ratings For TNA...How?" to del.icio.us Submit "Higher Ratings For TNA...How?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Higher Ratings For TNA...How?" to Google

Tags: tna
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This week's rating will be a big one for TNA. Now that the NBA finals are out of the way and there have been a few weeks for people to adjust to the new time slot it should be the highest for a while. If they can't get above the 1.0 they have been getting then management will be a bit bothered by it but all they can do is continue to try and put out a good product and advertise the product as much as possible. Since the train wreck that was Lockdown I have been enjoying TNA more than WWE too, it has been a good 8-10 weeks for them. If they can put out a decent product for 8-10 months, then we will most likely see an increase in ratings.
    I agree with every point bar 5. TNA is NOT WWE and nor will it ever be. Plus it takes away from the originality of TNA's product. You'd have to sacrifice something to put these matches in. The reason WWE was successful in the 90's? They changed it up and were original. The reason WCW started out successful? They brought in something new, that the American public hadn't seen before (I know they got the idea of the NWO from NJPW). Same goes for ECW. The point is be original, don't rip off other companies' work.

Apart from that great blog and I especially agree with touring different campuses. Great idea!
    Really enjoyed this blog, one of your best. Well done
    I agree with everything except the lat one...TNA has it's own specialities..BFG Series, KOTM match n others.....they should not copy E...

What they should do is MARKETING....

They need to promote their product n feature themselves on a channel which is watched by bigger audience...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahu
    I agree with everything except the lat one...TNA has it's own specialities..BFG Series, KOTM match n others.....they should not copy E...
    I disagree. TNA are just not big enough to use their own innovation to reach out to the mainstream world. Copying some of WWE's idea would get them some attention, and any attention is good attention right now for TNA.
    I do appreciate you thinking so highly of my thread in the forum that you decided to make a blog about it. I'm truly honored. I was in fact going to write a whole blog tonight about just this same subject but you beat me to it!

I agree with your whole blog except number 5. Sahu and B-ri are right on this one. TNA doesn't need to copy WWE right now. They've just now begun to escape that "company that hires WWE's trash and pushes old guys" moniker so if they start ripping off WWE what do you think is going to happen? TNA's most loyal fans, and the IWC is going to rip them to shreds.
    Hey guys. Thanks for the responses. B-Ri, Sahu, and Poot-Hair, I fully agree that they need to keep their original ideas. In my Sudden Impact blog, I talked about how much I love both OFN and BFG Series. I also love Ultimate X. I may have worded it wrong but the point I was trying to make was, don't theme entire PPV's off of what WWE does, but once in a while, throw in a match that is familiar with the larger audiences, and in turn, introduce them to their own concepts. Basically, use WWE's own ideas against them, and then when people tune in, put on one of the best Ultimate X matches in TNA history.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.