View RSS Feed

Renevious

The Lost Gems, Vol. 4: Marty Jannetty

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
What's up everybody? Renevious here. I know it's been a couple months since I've posted a blog that wasn't part of the WBC competition, so this is a bit overdue. I just want to start as always by thanking everyone who reads my material. I really do appreciate your time and especially appreciate your comments. With all that being said, I'd like to talk about the most underrated superstar in the history of this business. The Lost Rocker Himself, Marty Jannetty.

Now, you probably all already know just judging by my avatar that I'm a pretty big Marty Jannetty mark, but it goes a bit further than that. This guy has been one of my favorite wrestlers ever since I was a kid back in the 80's. This is also something I had been wanting to write about for quite a while, but for whatever reason I just didn't feel the time was right. Then wwe.com went ahead and posted an article on who they felt were the most underrated superstars of all time. It was a pretty decent article, and I definitely recommend checking it out. But, of course there was no mention of Marty Jannetty anywhere, so I figured the world needs to know and the time is now.

For years and years now, the name alone of Marty Jannetty has been a running punchline. It has become so synonymous with the business, that it is now more or less the official term for that tag team partner who amounts to nothing and gets forgotten about when the other partner achieves great success. And for too long have I stood idly by and allowed this to happen, but no more dammit! The record must be set straight. Marty Jannetty had more talent and potential than almost anyone on the entire WWF roster at the time of the Rockers' split in '91/'92.

Now granted, in 1992 there was not much out there for a 5'11" 220 pound guy in the main event scene. Hell, at the time guys like Macho Man and Ric Flair were still considered small. The world just wasn't quite ready for smaller, more athletic superstars to be the face of the company. We have the great Bret Hart to thank for that. But if you go back and watch the old Rockers matches, you'll see what I'm talking about. There was something special there, and its name wasn't Shawn Michaels. Shawn may have had more of the look that they could plaster on a t-shirt, but back then it was apparent who was the more skilled in the ring. Now before all you fans go and tear me apart for selling short HBK's in-ring abilities, that's not what I'm saying. Shawn Michaels did become a phenomenon as one of the best in-ring competitors of all time, but he wasn't always that way. You could definitely see that in the early days, Marty was the one who was carrying those matches and making them as exciting as they were. He didn't do it alone (it was an obvious team effort), but he was absolutely the general in the ring.

You can go back to their old AWA days and see how ahead of his time Marty was. And you can go back to the feud they had with each other after the Rockers split to see how great the two of them could work. They had some amazing matches for the Intercontinental Title back then. Unfortunately, that was about the peak of Jannetty's career. He stayed around here and there for years, and he's actually still wrestling to this day. It's just a shame that he never achieved the level of success that I know he was capable of. With all that being said, I can't skip the obvious personal demons Marty Jannetty has battled throughout his career. I'm not going to go into any details, but let's just say it's nothing out of the ordinary for a superstar in the business. So as disappointing as it is to know that this great talent was never utilized to his potential, I know that he was also his own worst enemy.

There are far too many stories in the archives of pro wrestling that end in death and tragedy. Thankfully, this was not one of those stories. This is just a tale that I wish would've gone a little differently, because there's no telling how far Marty Jannetty could've gone. I'm not saying that he was the best ever and was passed over. I'm simply saying that if you compare the amount of talent and potential he had versus the way his name is regarded today, then my friends you have the formula for the most underrated wrestler of all time.

You may not agree with my stance on this issue, and that's fine. All I want this blog to do is pay respect to a superstar that I feel never got his fair share. And if I get just one person reading this to think about Marty Jannetty in a way other than the punchline that he is almost always regarded, then this was a success.

As always, thanks to everyone for reading. God Bless.

Submit "The Lost Gems, Vol. 4: Marty Jannetty" to Digg Submit "The Lost Gems, Vol. 4: Marty Jannetty" to del.icio.us Submit "The Lost Gems, Vol. 4: Marty Jannetty" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Lost Gems, Vol. 4: Marty Jannetty" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I respect yosur stance he had talent but its just the way it is. For every marty there is a shawn. For every edge and christan theres a gangrel. For every sprit squad there is a zigzag. Unfortunately he is just the most famous example therefore he will always be will always be the poster child for ex tag partners.
    I enjoyed reading this, I always liked watching Marty growing up.

A few things strike me.
    I think it is fair to say that Janetty's own attitude and 'personal' habits impeeded his progress at various times in his career. I also thought it was strange that (either by his own design or a desire from bookers) he never changed his look, he was always a Rocker even when working for WCW.

I always thought it would've made a great angle to have him tease a feud re-start with Shawn during the Shawn/Diesel period only to turn heel and join up with them. Given free reign I think he'd have made a great heel I-C Champ.

I honestly think the thing that held him back the most was that Michaels didn't like him, during the mid 90s that could kill the most promising of careers. Just ask Vader.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.