View RSS Feed

Herman Toliver

The Top Ten Most Unbelievable Match Endings!

Rate this Entry
Disclaimer: This list is not all-inclusive and does not include matches prior to the 1990s. So if you're a real 'old-head' or a 'PGer' this list may or may not be for you.

10. Bret hart vs. Shawn Michaels (Wrestlemania 10)

After years of the ultimate debate of who was actually better, I still don't think the question was answered even after this match. These two made an hour seem like twenty minutes with how good this match was. In the end, however, after over an hour of contest, HBK hits SCM to the best there ever was winning his first WWF Championship. The reason so unbelievable? Because Bret actually was the better WRESTLER while Shawn was the better SHOWMAN. To this day I still think Bret was cheated out of the title that night.

9. Mr. Perfect vs. Ric Flair (Career Match 1993 on RAW)

Back then we didn't know much about behind-the-scenes contract deals and so on and so forth. So we took everything we saw on TV at face value. I was totally behind Mr. Perfect here but it was bittersweet to see the Nature Boy leave WWF as he was so full of character and really added alot to the overall product. But i was also glad to see him go kick the Hollywood Blondes' asses in WCW a year later.

8. Goldberg vs. Hulk Hogan (WCW Nitro 1998)

You're not a wrestling fan if you're not familiar with this match. Why it was so unbelievable? Because Hogan actually AGREED to let it happen. You can't tell me you weren't on your feet that night rooting ole' Bill on.

7. CM Punk vs. John Cena

Even I have to admit that I didn't see that one coming. I honestly thought CM Punk was gone for good and that Vince was just cashing in on his departure. But it was quite the shock to that all unfold and to this day remains as perhaps the most elecric title change in the past ten years.

6. Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart (Wrestlemania 10)

Who would've guessed that little Owen would've opened Wrestlemania with perhaps one of the best technical matches in Wrestlemania history against his brother...and actually WIN? Even I have to admit, Owen impressed the hell outta me with this match and served as the catapult for the remainder of his career. Although Bret went on to win the WWF title later that evening, it was prime storytelling that just isn't done anywhere near this degree anymore.

5. Bret Hart vs. Jerry 'The King' Lawler

Okay, so this is for some of you 90s wrestling fans. You can't tell me that you didn't hate Jerry Lawler with every fiber of your being! You couldn't tell me that you didn't want to see Bret Hart beat the shit out of the King! Jerry Lawler reminded me of a loudmouth who I went to school with during that time period and maybe that's why this match holds such a dear place in my heart, but overall this feud was EXTREMELY well done and the months of making us wait until their confrontation only made it better. While Bret lost the match by DQ by not relinquishing the Sharpshooter, the fact that the King won still made the referee's decision infamous even to this day. Screw Michael Cole's win over the King. It isn't anywhere near as much of a travesty as King's victory over Bret Hart was.

4. Shelton Benjamin vs. Shawn Michaels (2007 RAW)

This match sits atop most other matches in my mind as a display of sheer, unmititgated talent between two of the WWE's finest at the time. I look at this match and often wonder how WWE could have justified letting a man of Shelton Benjamin's ability to go unused and even released?? It just doesn't make sense. But I digress...the ending to this match was as picture-perfect as you will ever see and if you don't know what I'm talking about, I suggest you youtube it because Shelton Benjamin proved that was the finest talent in the WWE at that time and probably ever since.

3. Sting vs. Hulk Hogan (Starrcade 1997)

I never said this list included the "best" match finishes. I have to consider this feud as the best built up match in wrestling history. I'm sure several would agree that the 18 month buildup of this match was unprecedented and WCW did a superior job in establishing "good" vs. "evil" when it came to this match. Sadly, that's all the positive I can say about this match because once the bell rang it became one of the shittiest displays of in-ring competition and storytelling I've ever seen. it hurts me to my heart to write this, but this was probably the most disappointing match I've ever seen. If you've never seen it, you owe it to yourself not to watch and just keep the possiblity of what could've been alive in your mind.

2. Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels (Survivor Series 1997)

Quite possibly the most infamous match-ending in wrestling history, I'm not going to belabor what happened as we all know. I don't think too many people would disagree with this being number two. Some would argue it deserves to be number one and I wouldn't debate that either. But something else sticks out in my mind as number one...

1. Sting, Macho Man, and Lex Luger vs. The Outsiders and a Mystery Partner (Bash at the Beach 1995)

So I'm watching this at home as this was the first ppv event I was allowed to order. I was only 14 at the time, had no job, and no way to pay the $39.95 price tag. I was not allowed to call the WCW hotline at 1-900-909-9900 and listen to the post-match interviews. So I did the only thing I could've done. I ordered the ppv anyway against my parents instructions and decided to suffer the consequences later on because I WANTED to see who the third guy was going to be in the Outsiders' corner.

So I've sat through the rest of the ppv which wasn't all that great and they finally get to the main event. It's largely a handicap match all the way to the end as Hall and Nash get tossed around by WCW. And then i see him...my hero...my all-time favorite wrestler ever. The Immortal one himself comes down the aisle in what I'm sure would be the evening factor that would swing the tide back in favor of WCW! Hogan is in the ring and pretends to help Macho Man up and then the big bang happens all over again as Hogan drops his leg across Savage's throat. The rest is as they say...history. For the first time I was completely lost for words at a wrestling match. From that time, nothing ever left me speechless again, but that, to me was the most unbelievable ending to a wrestling match. Honestly, I'm still in shock.

Submit "The Top Ten Most Unbelievable Match Endings!" to Digg Submit "The Top Ten Most Unbelievable Match Endings!" to del.icio.us Submit "The Top Ten Most Unbelievable Match Endings!" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Top Ten Most Unbelievable Match Endings!" to Google

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I really enjoyed this blog. You brought up some "Wow, remember that" moments. I'm glad you didn't fill it with all stuff from the last year.

I never in a million years expected Lex Luger to take the title from Hollywood Hogan on Nitro. If I were doing this list, I probably would have listed that one as well.

I love the HBK/Shelton Benjamin ending.

And finally, YES. I absolutely despised Jerry The King Lawler in his feud with Bret Hart.

Great Stuff.
    My brother was at the Nitro at Joe Louis Arena when Luger beat Hogan as I watched on TV at home. That was awesome!

It's a shame that WCW screwed up 2 of your top 10 moments. Sting vs. Hogan most people know about how Nick Patrick screwed up the count and gave Hogan a legit win that Bret Hart reversed.

However, go on youtube and watch Goldberg vs. Hogan again. Hogan gives Goldberg TWO leg drops without doing his signature stuff before hand or even the big boot. Then Curt Hennig comes out to celebrate the win so the cameras go to him with DDP and Karl Malone following.

This completely distracts the crowd's attention from the match and almost everyone misses Goldberg kick out! That should have been a giant pop! I would have had Hennig come down a bit earlier by himself and then have Hogan nail the big boot and leg drop. Goldberg kicks out and DDP and Karl Malone then come out as Hennig goes to try and interfere and Malone nails the diamond cutter on Hennig. Then the rest of the match plays out like it did spear, jackhammer boom.
    Dude, great blog but i must make one correction - Bret didnt wrestle HBK at WM10. Bret actually wrestled Owen in the match opener and lost, and defeated Yokozuna in the main event to win the Championship. HBK faced Razor Ramon in their first ladder match (for the IC title) and lost. The iron Man match didnt happen until WM 12...

Just sayin...
    good blog, thought the lesnar vs big show breaking the ring should have been mentioned. but everything else deserved to be here.
    also forgot to mention while the Big Show was in WCW, Hogan knocked him off the roof of a building some 4-or-7 stories high.
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantHaystacks
    Dude, great blog but i must make one correction - Bret didnt wrestle HBK at WM10. Bret actually wrestled Owen in the match opener and lost, and defeated Yokozuna in the main event to win the Championship. HBK faced Razor Ramon in their first ladder match (for the IC title) and lost. The iron Man match didnt happen until WM 12...

Just sayin...
    Yeah you're absolutely right about that. Totally my bad. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by cinamon toast krunk
    good blog, thought the lesnar vs big show breaking the ring should have been mentioned. but everything else deserved to be here.
    Yeah good point. Guess that one skipped my mind. Thanks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.