View RSS Feed

bearkg88

WBC Top 5 Series #10: Top 5 IC Champs Since 2003

Rate this Entry

What is up everybody? After last weeks close call, DK Wrestling Savior walked away as the new winner of the top 5 series. Congrats to DK! Though I can say, this isn't the last we've seen of Playboy Stevie V. This week though, the topic is top 5 Intercontinental Champions since it was reinstated back in 2003. For those that don't remember, in 2002 Kane as the IC Champ faced HHH for the WHC and HHH won, unifying the titles for a short while. Up first, is the champ, DK wrestling Savior!

DK Wrestling Savior

Hey Everyone. The Saviour here defending my newly won titlein the WBC Top 5 Series. I will try do my best to keep the stature of thistitle in the same way that Playboy Stevie V did.

This week’s topic is the Top 5 IC Champions After the 2003Reinstatement. And while there were so many great IC Champions throughouthistory, it’s a good thing that we’re breaking it up into different “eras” soto speak, because of how the business has changed over the years.

I would like to start by having some honorable mentionsof Johnny Nitro/Morrison, Jeff Hardy, ReyMysterio, Dolph Ziggler, and Kofi Kingston.

TOP 5 IC CHAMPIONS (SINCE 2003)
5. CODY RHODES
Since it’s reinstatement in 2003, only two wrestlers have held this prestigious title in a reign lasting beyond 200 days. Cody Rhodes is one of these wrestlers, having the second longest reign at 236 days, or roughly8 months. Many might argue that he should be higher on the list, and I would agreeif not for the fact that during this reign, he virtually never defended thetitle and didn’t take part in too many meaningful feuds. Two of his mostnotable feuds were against Booker T, and Big Show. But 8 months is nothing toshake a stick at, and Cody Rhodes has definitely earned the honor of being onthis list.

4. SHELTON BENJAMIN
Shelton Benjamin has had three reigns throughout thisperiod. His most notable reign came when he won the title on Taboo Tuesday offChris Jericho for his first singles title in WWE. Since winning, he’s hadsuccessful title defenses against Christian and Chris Jericho, among others.His reign still stands as the longest since the title’s reinstatement. SheltonBenjamin is a definite top IC Champion of this era.

3. ROB VAN DAM
The Whole F’n Show is a 6 time IC champion. Three of histitle reigns came in new era. While none of his reigns were exceptionally long,he had epic feuds with Chris Jericho and Randy Orton during his reigns, thelatter even leading to a feud with the Evolution stable. His unorthodox styleand exciting ring work definitely warrant him as a Top 5 new era IC Champion.

2. CHRISTIAN
The current IC champion, and also the first IC champion when the title was reinstated, Captain Charisma himself makes #2 on my list. He had great feuds with Booker T, Shelton Benjamin, Chris Jericho and RVD during his past reigns and now has a potential top notch feud going with Cody Rhodes,which is a feud that involves two guys who could easily be inserted into the World Title picture right now. Cody Rhodes’ and now Christian’s involvement, is giving the IC title a prestigious push in a time when many thought it to be a title of irrelevance. Christian gets my nod.

Number 1 IC Champion of the Reinstatement Era
CHRIS JERICHO
In all fairness, this was a toss up between Christian and Jericho. Jericho gets the nod because his first reign in the new era breaks Jeff Jarrett’s record of IC title reigns. He is currently an unprecedented 9 time IC champion. He had epic battles with Christian and Shelton Benjamin. But what really separates Chris Jericho from the rest is, he is one who would find himself in the discussion of best IC champion of all time, putting him in great company like Mr Perfect, Bret Hart, Jeff Jarrett, Shawn Michaels, and even more legendary figures such as Pat Patterson and Don Muraco. Chris Jericho is in elite status.

There you have it. My first attempt at defending my newlywon title. I hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it.

Take Care Everyone.

All right a good blog from DK. Up next is a new comer to WBC, smellmycooking!

SmellMyCooking

Hi all,

First timer here! I don’t know what makes me more excited: writing this top 5 about a title that is close to my heart or waiting for your responses to it. Let me start by saying that my favourite moment of wrestling history (as well as my favourite match) was seeing The British Bulldog (RIP Davey Boy Smith) defeat Bret Hart here in England for the intercontinental title at Summerslam 1992. Although the title at present certainly has nowhere near the amount of prestige it had back then, recent events are giving me hope for its future.

Anyway on with the show. A lot of research I have found tends to focus on the amount of days that a superstar has held the title for. I have not taken this into account. My criteria has been based on the following three factors: memorable feuds during a title reign, memorable matches and impact holding the IC title had on the superstars future career. Here we go:

Number 5 Shelton Benjamin
Benjamin makes the list on the sheer quality of his matches during his IC reign. A fantastic athlete who always seemed to bring something new to the ring, Benjamin was often thrown into matches without having any build up or feud. Despite this, his quality in the ring meant that his matches were often the star performances of the night. I can remember the 5 star matches he would put on with Jericho. Unfortunately for Shelton, the title never served as the platform for greatness that I hoped it would. Hopefully, WWE will not make the same mistake with Ziggler.

Number 4 Jeff Hardy
Hardy comes in at number four on the back of some solid feuds coupled with some solid matches. Yes the battles with Jonny Nitro and Umaga were forgettable, but because of Hardy’s risk taking and high flying they at least gave us some excitement at the time. The reason Hardy ranks higher then Shelton is because he was able to take the momentum gained from his IC title reign and run with it, leading to an eventual WWE championship. His whisper in the wind from the top of the cage and swanton from the scaffolding live long in my memory.

Number 3 Cody Rhodes
Cody ranks highly on my list for being able to change my hatred towards him. Two years ago, I could not stand the dashing one and would be frustrated at having to see those chicken legs which were in desperate need of some knee pads. However, his IC reign has transformed this superstar into the darker, sinister character that we see today who has dragged the title up from mediocrity so that it has become worth winning again. I love the fact that he brought back the white classic look and if Cody Rhodes is not a World Champion in the next two years then I will lose all hope for the future of wrestling. He has it all, both in ring and out and I was impressed with the way that he carried a potential banana skin feud with the big show.

Number 2 Chris Jericho
How dare you put the 9 time winner at number 2 I hear you say. My basis for this is that I feel Jericho’s best IC work was done pre 2003 in his feuds and matches with Benoit. By the time he won the title again in October 2003, Jericho was already a megastar who was only holding the IC belt until his turn with the World title came back around. Please don’t get me wrong though, Jericho still wore the belt with the same passion and had some truly great matches with RVD and (repeat soon please) Christian. Had this blog included pre 2003, Jericho would have undoubtedly been at number one.

Number 1 Randy Orton
Controversial but hear me out! Go back to my criteria and remember the Legend Killer, not the boring repetitive viper that we know today. Remember the great story telling and move set during his matches, remember the hardcore match with Foley, remember how barely six months since the title was re-introduced and still viewed as a bit of a joke, Orton began to make us care about the IC belt again. I honestly believe that because Orton had proven himself to be such an amazing IC champion, he was fast tracked and catapulted into main event status quicker than anyone else could dare to dream. If only he could go back to being this man again!

There it is my friends. I look forward to reading your comments.

Submit "WBC Top 5 Series #10: Top 5 IC Champs Since 2003" to Digg Submit "WBC Top 5 Series #10: Top 5 IC Champs Since 2003" to del.icio.us Submit "WBC Top 5 Series #10: Top 5 IC Champs Since 2003" to StumbleUpon Submit "WBC Top 5 Series #10: Top 5 IC Champs Since 2003" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    tough call but I gotta give it to smellmycooking just because he had Orton on the list I would of had him 1 also he was great with the IC belt but I disagree with hardy, still my vote is to smellmycooking but barely both agree with 4 on each list
    For a first timer smellmycooking knows how to write good blog by both, Although i feel Christian should be on the list it's hard to argue with Randy Orton being number 1 so smc's got my vote.
    smellmycooking has my vote, although I'd replace Cody Rhodes with Rob Van Dam on the list
    Updated 06-18-2012 at 01:30 AM by AJ1981
    gud lists...but smellmycooking for putting Randy in it...in teh reinstatement era...Randy is the BEST IC Champion...n his reign was a gr8 one...
    I like both list as well. I'm not gonna be biased Randy Orton is my Favorite Current WWE star at the moment but that's not gonna be why I choose SMELLMYCOOKING. I choose him because yes Randy was a great IC Champ. And he did have Jericho and Hardy. And DK I read your blogs and they are great but you just didn't wow me this. But SMELLMYCOOKING gets my vote
    Smellmycooking wins
    I cannot disagree with anyone who voted. Smellmycookin did a fantastic job. I'm now holding on to hope that I don't get shut out.

thanks for voting everyone. And again, great job smellmycookin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.