View RSS Feed

K2Jelly

The Top 3 Most Underutilized WWE Low Card Talent

Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Before I begin, I would like to point out that this blog features my opinion on the most underutilized low card talent. If popular favorites like Cody Rhodes, Dolph Ziggler or Jack Swagger don't appear in this blog, that's b/c they aren't low card talent.

I'm talking about people who either job on a regular basis and can only be found on Superstars and/or barely featured on RAW and/or Smackdown.

So now that that's been cleared up, let's start off this list with my #3 pick.

#3 - Alex Riley

I seriously have no idea...NO IDEA why this guy isn't holding a singles
championship right now. You know what? Scratch that. Why is this guy not showing up on television on a regular basis? I mean, c'mon. Didn't you all see the reaction he got after he broke away from The Miz. The support behind this guy was red hot and he has all the tools to put him over with the crowd. Charisma, looks, mic skills and wrestling skills. Sure, he didn't have a real edge to him or anything but if creative gave him something to work with, after The Miz, like a new feud or a tag team formation, then he would have been great. I don't get how one sandbag on Swagger's Gutwrench Powerbomb lands him in the doghouse. Even on NXT or Superstars, this guy gets the best pop of the night most of the time. It's a shame that someone who had everything go for him has everything taken away from him like that when he has the crowd in the palm of his hand.

#2 - Heath Slater

I'm probably going to get hanged for this but I like Heath Slater. I'm serious. Very serious. I've been a Slater fan since he was in NXT Season 1 and there were two things about him that caught my eye: his wrestling and most of all, his mic skills. Now granted, I'm not completely blown away by his wrestling, although he utilizes pretty impressive maneuvers, his mic skills are what really made me a fan. He's one of the only people in the WWE, in my mind, who puts emotion into his words. He doesn't necessarily need to shout or make faces to get his point across. He's just a natural when he talks. Just listen to what he has to say about Sin Cara and his wrestling after he loses to him and tell me you're not impressed:

Overall, you've got a guy who can move well in the ring and who has the best mic skills out of all of the low card talent, which separates him from the humdrum of those who can only "do their talking in the ring". If there's one thing for sure, "The One-Man Southern Rock Band" deserves some time in the limelight and a run with a mid card title.

#1 - Curt Hawkins

If I were to list the men with the best wrestling skills in the WWE right now, Hawkins would only be behind Bryan, Ziggler, Kidd, Swagger and Jericho(in no particular order). I have no idea why this guy is teaming up with someone as bad as Tyler Reks. A lot of people may like them but I only think that's because they've been together for so long and people are used to them working together. But for me, he deserves more. Much more. When I look at him, I see shades of Edge in him. I think a little bit has to do with him working beside him back in last 2007 to about mid 2008 but I think most of it is due to how good he is on the mic and how he acts as a heel. He's good at what he does, when he needs to be manipulative, when he needs to cheat or when he needs to be a badass and get what he wants by force. I seriously wouldn't mind if he were to be given a world title shot, any time soon, because he's such a natural at what he does. He'd need to have some main event exposure first but I still say it would work. In short, get this guy off of NXT or Superstars and give him some time to shine on RAW or Smackdown because out of all the low card talent on the roster, he's the most ready and the most deserving.

HONORABLE MENTIONS: Tyson Kidd, Trent Baretta, Drew McIntyre, David Otunga, Darren Young & Hunico

Well, that's that. I hope you enjoyed my blog and if you have any comments or concerns about my list, feel free to post them below.

Submit "The Top 3  Most Underutilized WWE Low Card Talent" to Digg Submit "The Top 3  Most Underutilized WWE Low Card Talent" to del.icio.us Submit "The Top 3  Most Underutilized WWE Low Card Talent" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Top 3  Most Underutilized WWE Low Card Talent" to Google

Updated 06-13-2012 at 10:06 PM by K2Jelly

Categories
Thoughts and Opinions

Comments

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    A-Ry is just WAY too forgettable. He's like if you took Ryder and Miz and shoved them together to get some kind of modern day Dibiase level of forgettable and frankly bland. It isn't just the gimmick or lack there-of, but also his in-ring isn't the best from what I've seen.

Slater... eh.. All he's good for is running his mouth and jobbing. He makes Yoshi Tatsu look like a Japanese Rey Mysterio. Hell, he made Ryback look like Goldberg. He makes Trent Barretta look like Jeff Hardy. I don't see him being FEed, but I see his spot in the company being one where he's there to get other guys over. For now. That isn't a totally bad thing, because frankly if any care to remember the early days of The Ayatollah of Rock n' Rolla, he jobbed with the best of them and his gimmick was shit quite frankly. Slater will get his time, but it's a couple years off unless he leaves or has pissed somebody in a position of power off.

Hawkins is definitely under-utilized and I wish they could get a feud going between him and Ryder. The former tag team angle is always a decent draw, sadly they don't have the brothers angle like the Hardys and Steiners did.
    i actually agree with you tyson is good and michael mcgillicutty and justin gabriel and johnny curtis are all great competitors but the mic work is still a bit awful tyson is improving but he's got nothing on curt hawkins hawkins should have had a us title feud RIGHT AWAY when ryder won it not just one tag team match with his former partner that's bullshit and not having ryder get squashed and losing the us title in a angle that included cena and eve come on.
    great blog
    I like the list. Three really great talents. If it were my list it would have to be a top 5 with Kidd at the top and maybe michael mcgillicutty or Hunico chucked in there. The sad part is I could come up with a top 15 list which is ridiculous. Fair enough there are a few underutilized guys but it is crazy to have that many.
    Quote Originally Posted by Y2JLionsault
    I like the list. Three really great talents. If it were my list it would have to be a top 5 with Kidd at the top and maybe michael mcgillicutty or Hunico chucked in there. The sad part is I could come up with a top 15 list which is ridiculous. Fair enough there are a few underutilized guys but it is crazy to have that many.
    See, I was originally going to do a Top 5 list but it if you look at all the mid card talent and main event talent, who aren't getting booked the right way, wanting a push out of a huge horde of low card talent is a bit of a stretch so if I was going to make such a list, it would only be three who I would view to be relevant and ready enough to make it amongst either the rest of the mid carders or the main event scene.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyboy7777777
    i actually agree with you tyson is good and michael mcgillicutty and justin gabriel and johnny curtis are all great competitors but the mic work is still a bit awful tyson is improving but he's got nothing on curt hawkins hawkins should have had a us title feud RIGHT AWAY when ryder won it not just one tag team match with his former partner that's bullshit and not having ryder get squashed and losing the us title in a angle that included cena and eve come on.
    great blog
    Wow. It's like you read my mind!

Not only were you able to figure out why I didn't add Gabriel, Kidd, Curtis or McGillicutty to the list but you eve managed to know what sort of feud I wanted Hawkins to be in once Ryder won the title.
    I don't see the problem. Riley and Slater are young and new: they have to earn their spot. Go watch HHH's hog pen match, they made him eat more shit than either Riley or Slater have done.

Riley had a DUI, in believe. They could'nt punish him at the time, because the Miz-angle was in play, but I think he's taking / took some doghouse-time for that. And to add: him turning on the Miz got a pop, but I'm not sure the pop was for Riley: Miz had decent heat at the time. Anyone that destroyed him would have got a pop.

Slater should just bide his time. He's been on tv recently, and they did choose him for the Flo Rida-segments. I believe that when they put you on with a celebrity, they trust you. I don't think he'll ever make it big, but he'll be around for a while.

Hawkins is a jobber and always will be a jobber. To small, not quick enough, older then most lowcarders. He's not bad, but he's not good. He's making money in WWE, that should be enough.
    IMO Tyson Kidd is the most underutilized talent from the roster.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.