View RSS Feed

Vertigo

The Short Comings of WWE

Rating: 5 votes, 3.60 average.
Ok so before I get to the big reveal here are some questions you should ask yourself:

1. Do you watch RAW and/or Smackdown every week? Every other week? As often as possible?

2. Do you pay for the ppvs thinking or knowing they will be crap? Did they prove you wrong?

3. Do you buy Smackdown vs RAW games every year knowing you'll only play it a few weeks and thinking it will suck?

4. Do you agree that the current product the WWE has become absolutely stupid and it was much better 5 years ago or 10 years ago?

If your answer to at least 2 of these questions was yes then I have some bad news for you. One of the major reasons why the WWE delivers so much garbage every week is because of you.

Now this isn't some uneducated guess or desire to point the finger at someone, I actually have a master's degree in telecomunications and am currently employed in a TV station and if there's something I understand is the politics behind scenes.

The WWE is like any other business and tv show, they want to make money. You've all read how Vince freaks out the weeks that ratings drop and this is because ratings mean money, the more people that watch the more money he makes. The WWE turned PG a few years ago and it was not due to Linda's political campagign, it was a business move planned out carefully to sell more merchandise. In other words think of it this way the WWE turns PG catering to children, children love toys and beg their parents for all the John Cena crap that comes out, they have no concept on money but can often get their parents to buy more than the fan in his 20's and 30's will buy. They will ask for the ppv and the John Cena shirts, action figures, posters, dvds and whatever else the WWE comes out with.

At the same time the WWE counts with the support of the old school fans. These are the people who watched the WWE in the days it was actually interesting and not catering to the kids and idiots. These loyal fans keep watching week after week waiting patiently for the WWE to go back to the way it used to be, hoping for storylines to be a little interesting and never giving up hope. I'm not saying that this hope is wrong but let's be honest Vince McMahon neither knows nor cares what we think, he wants to make the most money and he's doing it.

As tough as it may seem there are only 3 things that would force the WWE to go back to their old ways instead of giving us dumber storylines every week (John Cena shows up on tv alot for someone who doesn't work in WWE anymore and Juan Cena wtf?) and these are for a great number of fans to stop watching the show, stop buying ppvs and stop buying merchandise. Watching the show gives them ratings which means money and buying ppvs and merchandise is literally giving them your money.

I realize alot of you won't believe it, others will believe it and won't agree and probably most will believe it and agree but do nothing about it. I'm very aware that one person not watching won't make a difference or 5 or 10 or 100 so many of you will feel like you can't make a difference, but let me help you understand 2 things to end this:

1. The WWE is there for entertainment but not for YOUR entertainment. Meaning that entertainment is their goal but they really don't care how much you enjoy it as long as they keep getting your money. If it's not broken why fix it?

2. Even if you don't mean it and wish it was different the WWE is the way it is now and if you continue to support them you're just as much to blame as they are. I know you're not writters for the WWE, I know you don't want it to be this way and think you could do better and odds are alot of you could, but you won't get a chance to so rather than complain about it why not do your small part to change it? Who knows maybe if enough people do their part the WWE will realize that they're losing ratings and money and they'll do what it takes to keep their business going even if it means changing the focus group to which they cater or coming up with stories that don't insult our intelligence.

Submit "The Short Comings of WWE" to Digg Submit "The Short Comings of WWE" to del.icio.us Submit "The Short Comings of WWE" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Short Comings of WWE" to Google

Updated 11-30-2010 at 08:39 PM by Frank

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    AMEN!.....these current stars need to study The rock , stone cold , shawn micheals All the guys that made impact in wrestling
    Dude you said it best and really you don't even need a degree of any kind to see it. It's common efin sense...if your customers never challenge you to improve your product then you can rest on your laruals instead of maintaining quality.
    Updated 12-02-2010 at 10:28 AM by Xpacfan
    Quote Originally Posted by Rassling_Fan
    Another example is Nintendo. The 64 and Gamecube, which were heavily allying on their fanbase, were last place in the gaming market. The Wii targeted the demographic not used to gaming, alienating their fanbase, and became a bigger success then the last two generations and more successful then the High Definition opponents.
    This tells me everything I need to know about how you look at things. The Wii and the WWE are in the same exact boat! The Wii only caters to casual gamers and is just cashing in on the short term success...but the problem with catering to casual gamers is, well they're casual. Your fad or gimmick can only hold their attention but for so long and that is why it is stupid to completly cater your gaming platform to a group of fans whose loyality you won't maintain. Now that the XBOX 360 and PS3 has replicated the same technology, expect their sells to sky rocket because: 1. They are now just as affordable as the Wii and 2. They cater to EVERYONE now (causal and hardcore gamers alike). The Wii no longer has any core compentancies that separates it from the rest of its competitors in the gaming market and will soon be forced to release a new platform altogether to compete.

The same goes with the WWE...kids either grow up or lose interest in something fast. Their PG formula is working right now but just as the Wii's success, it won't last for long. However, unlike the Wii and the causal gamer, its the old school fans who are still contributing to the WWE's successful ratings. It costs a lot over time for a hardcore gamer to keep investing into a shitty platform but doesn't cost anything to tune into a show on a weekly basis in hopes of it eventually becoming better!
    Updated 12-02-2010 at 10:45 AM by Xpacfan
    Quote Originally Posted by laramfan
    With the direction the WWE is going I would not doubt if we soon see Raw on Saturday morning with all CGI superstars.
    LMAO!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xpacfan
    This tells me everything I need to know about how you look at things. The Wii and the WWE are in the same exact boat! The Wii only caters to casual gamers and is just cashing in on the short term success...but the problem with catering to casual gamers is, well they're casual.
    Casual seem to be the new Hardcore of the past.

Your fad or gimmick can only hold their attention but for so long and that is why it is stupid to completly cater your gaming platform to a group of fans whose loyality you won't maintain. Now that the XBOX 360 and PS3 has replicated the same technology, expect their sells to sky rocket because: 1. They are now just as affordable as the Wii
    Let's say you are looking for a new system, but you don't usually play games. The Wii is $200 and comes with two games and a remote. The 360 with Kinnect includes is $300 with one game and a controller. The PS3 with Move is $400 with one game and the Move controller. Which sounds like the better deal.

and 2. They cater to EVERYONE now (causal and hardcore gamers alike).
    And that's where they will fail. The "Hardcore" gamers aren't going to be interested in the casual games they're offering while those who are casual will be turned off by the price point compared to the Wii.

The Wii no longer has any core compentancies that separates it from the rest of its competitors in the gaming market and will soon be forced to release a new platform altogether to compete.
    Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Donkey Kong. They have plenty to offer their core audience. No game on the 360 or PS3 could match the appeal of Mario.

The same goes with the WWE...kids either grow up or lose interest in something fast. Their PG formula is working right now but just as the Wii's success, it won't last for long. However, unlike the Wii and the causal gamer, its the old school fans who are still contributing to the WWE's successful ratings.
    Got proof? I've seen a ton of "I don't watch the WWE anymore" yet their ratings are still on par after the Monday Night Wars ended. Either people are in denial or the new generation are taking over. And weren't you the one who say "I don't watch WWE anymore" on another blog post.

To make money, you have to draw in people. By sticking with your core base, you'll eventually run out of them. Remember when there was only a few gamers? That when Sony was targeting movie goers and sports fans that we thought it was going to be a failure. And now thanks to them the Videogame business was bigger then ever.

And calling something a fad when it is so successful originally but not in repeats, doesn't that sound like the Attitude Era?
    Casual seem to be the new Hardcore of the past.

Let's say you are looking for a new system, but you don't usually play games. The Wii is $200 and comes with two games and a remote. The 360 with Kinnect includes is $300 with one game and a controller. The PS3 with Move is $400 with one game and the Move controller. Which sounds like the better deal.
    That's why if you're smart, you wouldn't buy them all together at the same time. It is the holiday season you know...

And that's where they will fail. The "Hardcore" gamers aren't going to be interested in the casual games they're offering while those who are casual will be turned off by the price point compared to the Wii.
    I swear, what is it with certain people on this site and using logic? Of course the Hardcore gamers aren't going to buy it BUT the casual gamers are...so now you have something that EVERYONE has a reason to buy. You know kind of like how "1 + 1 = 2"

Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Donkey Kong. They have plenty to offer their core audience. No game on the 360 or PS3 could match the appeal of Mario.
    Dude, are you kidding me?! If Nintendo really believed that, they would be resting on their laurels as the WWE is. Those classic franchises don't work on the new generation of casual gamers that Nintendo is going after. They are not going to be as familiar with them as Hardcore gamers are, therefore having no reason to buy the games. This statement shows that you have lost sight of who the actual target audience is!

Got proof? I've seen a ton of "I don't watch the WWE anymore" yet their ratings are still on par after the Monday Night Wars ended. Either people are in denial or the new generation are taking over. And weren't you the one who say "I don't watch WWE anymore" on another blog post.

To make money, you have to draw in people. By sticking with your core base, you'll eventually run out of them. Remember when there was only a few gamers? That when Sony was targeting movie goers and sports fans that we thought it was going to be a failure. And now thanks to them the Videogame business was bigger then ever.

And calling something a fad when it is so successful originally but not in repeats, doesn't that sound like the Attitude Era?
    I don't watch it any more but I still know what goes on. Who's in denial about what? If anyone is in denial, its you! You would have to be to have been watching the product for so long and not say that it has gone down hill in any way, shape, or form.

By sticking to the core base, you'll run out of them? What in the hell are you talking about? Microsoft and Sony has stuck with the core base and has yet to run out! Nintendo just decided to go a different route to make more money short term. I highly doubt they were stupid enough to put all their eggs into one basket assuming that the Wii was really the future of video games. If so, they've hit the perverbal "glass ceiling" and has what's coming to them.

Fads are successful by definition, smart guy. If they weren't, people wouldn't catch on. Fads a simply temporary...the Wii nor the present day WWE are setting any industry standards.
    Updated 12-02-2010 at 03:51 PM by Xpacfan
    Quote Originally Posted by Xpacfan
    That's why if you're smart, you wouldn't buy them all together at the same time. It is the holiday season you know...
    As mentioned, if you are not experienced with gaming. So they won't be as wise about everything.

I swear, what is it with certain people on this site and using logic? Of course the Hardcore gamers aren't going to buy it BUT the casual gamers are...so now you have something that EVERYONE has a reason to buy. You know kind of like how "1 + 1 = 2"
    Again, why buy two separate components to get waggle physics when the Wii offers it in one for much cheaper. And by now focusing on the casual gamers, the 360 and PS3 are neglecting the "Hardcore" base. That's why people stated that Nintendo won E3 this year.

Dude, are you kidding me?! If Nintendo really believed that, they would be resting on their laurels as the WWE is. Those classic franchises don't work on the new generation of casual gamers that Nintendo is going after. They are not going to be as familiar with them as Hardcore gamers are, therefore having no reason to buy the games. This statement shows that you have lost sight of who the actual target audience is!
    New Super Mario Brothers Wii, Super Mario Galaxy 1-2, Metroid: Other M, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Donkey Kong Country Returns, a remake of Goldeneye, The 3DS with Kid Icarus, Paper Mario and Star Fox coming soon. Heck, Epic Mickey is drawing both crowds. They do work for both the hardcore gamers and casual gamers because they can be picked up and played by anyone, no matter the age, gender or whatever.

I don't watch it any more but I still know what goes on. Who's in denial about what? If anyone is in denial, its you! You would have to be to have been watching the product for so long and not say that it has gone down hill in any way, shape, or form.
    I'm not saying it's great. It won't be as successful as the Attitude Era, but it's not the worse thing in the world of Wrestling (That will be TNA).

By sticking to the core base, you'll run out of them? What in the hell are you talking about? Microsoft and Sony has stuck with the core base and has yet to run out! Nintendo just decided to go a different route to make more money short term. I highly doubt they were stupid enough to put all their eggs into one basket assuming that the Wii was really the future of video games. If so, they've hit the perverbal "glass ceiling" and has what's coming to them.
    This part is strickly for wrestling because a consoles life span is very short. At most, 10 years. So they could rely on core bases (despite the lack of originality on games released).

Fads are successful by definition, smart guy. If they weren't, people wouldn't catch on. Fads a simply temporary...the Wii nor the present day WWE are setting any industry standards.
    The Wii is Nintendo. Nintendo pretty much owned your childhood if you were a gamer. And simply focusing on the Waggle physics means you're totally ignoring their main titles that they're bringing (which don't include waggle physics) or their library of classic SNES, NES and such games available to buy all over again online. Or also the DS with it's touch screen that is so out selling the more powerful PSP that their commercials are trying to target I-Phone games.

So while bad mouthing the WWE, you're ignoring some of their positives. For example, as boring as the main event scene is (which is debatable especially since the Miz is now champion) in the WWE: ALL THEIR STARS WERE MADE BY THEM! Edge, Kane, Cena, Orton, they weren't around other big organizations. Or the fact they have BRYAN FRIKKIN DANIELSON! Who can pull out a great match with anyone, even Ted Dibiase Jr, and gets one of the biggest pops for it! Or despite using them poorly, they actually PAY their females. Or at least they try to keep Kayfabe instead of pretending to be shooting. Or how about the fact they were the first to stop head shots? The fact they are willing to pay for rehab for their old wrestlers, which included Hall numerous times? The fact they're trying to push and create new talent?

TNA has a lot more problems with WWE to the point I literally stopped watching them. I only follow them through results and reviews online. WWE hasn't reached that point as their problems are minor especially if you can stop being a smark for the entire time.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.