View RSS Feed

Dubs

The ability to draw: Its stem and roots

Rate this Entry
In the wondeful world of professional wrestling, we become a fan of those who have the ability to draw our interest into the wrestling product they are working for and also bring in a new era in most aspects of wrestling to make the product fresh. They have the ability to sell out any venue because of the star-power they posses. Often, those drawers were either hand-picked by the bookers/owners or worked hard to to get noticed by creatives. Guys like Lou Thesz, Hulk Hogan, and Stone Cold took wrestling to new heights that wrestling has never been before. Lou Thesz made wrestling national, Hulk Hogan made wrestling mainstream, and Stone Cold made the WWE an edgy and controversial mainstream product known as the Attitude Era.These three men are the pioneers of wrestling who are considered wrestling's biggest drawers of all time.

Today, John Cena is the face of mainstream wrestling. He is WWE's biggest draw and has granted the most wishes for the Make A Wish foundation. He has carried the WWE for 8 years. Whether you love him or hate him, its pretty safe to say that he is the face of today's generation of wrestling.

Even though wrestlers like Lou Thesz, Hulk Hogan, Stone Cold, and John Cena were/draws for their company, they still needed to be marketed and booked correctly. In wrestling, the casual fans want to see someone who can kick ass and take names, winning most of their matches to fit that mold. A top drawer who wins 90% of their matches is more marketable than a top drawer who is still booked as a geek despite being the face of the company. For example, Lou Thesz wrestled all over the world, drawing in big crowds because he won most of his matches in technical bouts. If you are marketable and booked to look like the face of the company, than you will draw interest into those casual fans.

As a top drawer, what you bring to the table means a lot. Us wrestling fans like to see something different. Something that is fresh, entertaining, and something that has never been done before. A perfect example are wrestlers like Hulk Hogan and Stone Cold Steve Austin. What Hulk Hogan brought to the table was something new and entertaining. He brought wrestling into new mainstream heights with his Hulkamania gimmick which was fighting for the people. Hulkamania was also the start of the 2nd Golden era, an era where colorful, entertaining gimmicks like the late great Macho Man Randy Savage and The Ultimate Warrior was made. What Stone Cold brought to the table was edginess and controversy, something the WWE product has never been about. In 1995, WWE was in a great depression of their own. The company lost 20 million dollars due to the lack of drawing interest. That is, until Stone Cold debuted in the WWE after being fired by WCW. Stone Cold debuted as the Ringmasker but after being fed up with the Ringmasker gimmick not getting over as planned, he decided not to have a gimmick. He decided to be himself with the volume turned up. Stone Cold was a Texas redneck who was a tough SOB and didn't care for authority and he added it as his wrestling persona. Once he cut his controversial Austin 3:16 promo at the KOTR 1996 PPV, the WWE audience was introduced to an edgier and more controversial wrestler. His promo changed the business forever by giving us the Attitude Era.

To succeed in professional wrestling and become a top draw, you will need to be put over by other talent, mostly vets of the business. John Cena is a great example. When John Cena first debuted, he had his first match against Kurt Angle which got him over. He would then go one to have feuds with main event workers like The Undertaker, Brock Lesnar, Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, JBL, and The Big Show Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, JBL, and The Big Show to boost him as a main eventer rather than being a strong mid-carder. Working with vets and actually scoring a win over them will put you over big time. Without a win over a wrestling vet, how will be able to move up the rankings? The same thing can be said for Hulk Hogan who was lucky enough to be put over by Andre The Giant to look like a strong main eventer. The same thing can also apply to Stone Cold who was put over by Bret Hart in their Wrestlemania 13 match. Being put over is always an important key to drawing crowds since they want to see the top guys beat the best there is to offer.

Therefore, drawing for your current company is certainly important but its the roots to your ability to draw which is mostly important. Thanks for reading my blog guys. Post your thoughts, feelings, feedback, etc. Just remember guys:

Submit "The ability to draw: Its stem and roots" to Digg Submit "The ability to draw: Its stem and roots" to del.icio.us Submit "The ability to draw: Its stem and roots" to StumbleUpon Submit "The ability to draw: Its stem and roots" to Google

Updated 05-30-2012 at 08:41 PM by Dubs

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Awesome read...on this subject there are so much more things you could talk about, many more aspects that affect draw. If you go into detail of every one of your points you could make blogs out of them actually...just a thought.
    Great blog DUBS but two points from my anal retentive ass

1. Steve Austin was known as the "Ring Master", not the Ring Masker
    2. SCSA didn't go over Hart @ WM13. He lost to him in a submission match. What got him over was the fact that he never tapped to Hart, but instead he passed out "from a loss of blood" which is what helped put him over.

Otherwise, solid blog and I agree with akbar that you could definately take this many MANY other ways (Sammartino and his reign of dominance, Flair putting over Sting and what it did for him career, etc.) but I liked what you gave me in this read

DRG
    @akbar Thanks for the idea man. I'll do these blogs more often. I'm also glad to see you enjoyed it.

@DRG Thanks for the comment on my blog man! I appreciate the feedback as well.
    Updated 05-31-2012 at 06:43 PM by Dubs

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.