View RSS Feed

Music My Savior

Are We Spoiling Ourselves?

Rate this Entry
Before you read this you should know that I'm an extremely objective person. I have no alignment to any form of entertainment, person or company.

I was reading a few articles today that spoke about the WWF Attitude Era and the comparison with the current WWE product and I found myself inspired to write a Blog - something I have never done in my life.

The topic I choose for my debut? What is ruining the WWE today.

I'm not going to dare speak personally for anyone else out there but I will for me. I watched the WWF AE during it's entire run and enjoyed it more than I've enjoyed wrestling in the past few years. Is that because the product was better? Possibly. Is that because the current product is PG? It could well be. But do you know what I really think ruined the WWE for me today?

Two things really;

A. I grew up and B. I started to read websites like this. Now I know you're going to groan and say, well, if you don't want to be spoiled then don't read the site and you have a point - except I'm not here to debate that. What I'm here to say is that my choice of reading these websites has ruined wrestling for myself. I remember back during the Attitude Era when I didn't read these websites and every single show had me entertained. I have fond memories of Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock, The Undertaker, Triple H and Degeneration X like everyone else. Do you know what the difference was? I didn't know what was likely going to happen on RAW. I didn't know when someone's contract was running out or when they got suspended. I didn't know when someone got fired or the likely ending to the matches that were going to happen.

Now I do.

Now I read this website every single day, every single week and I read the spoilers. I know what's going to happen in bits and pieces, I know who's coming back, I know who's leaving and all this knowledge, in total truth, ruins my experience. Now I'm not going to say that I'm never coming back here again because that's not what this blog is about. I'm always going to read the spoiler sites, I'm always going to know because that kind of curiosity is human nature - especially mine. If you're going to tell me I can know the ending of Supernatural Series 8 before it even starts, I'm going to tell you hell yeah, spill.

The truth is that it would probably ruin my entertainment in the long run and that's MY doing. Do I think the WWF did a few things that were stupid and not so entertaining? Of course they did. Do I think the WWE do things that are stupid and not so entertaining? Of course they do. I don't think it's the product all the time, I think it's at least a 50/50 split.

Can you imagine how much more fun RAW or Smackdown might be if you didn't know all the details you do going in? Wouldn't it be more entertaining to not know? I honestly think it's quite possible that it would - at least for me. Alas, that's the conundrum. Would I rather be entertained without knowledge, or would I rather know? Hell, some things are predictable - look at Big Show getting fired and coming back, who didn't call that? I know I did and I certainly didn't read it here.

Whilst people are spending their time debating whether or not the WWE are the problem, to which when you look at storylines like Cole/King, you know they can be, why aren't we wondering if we're doing what the title actually says and spoiling ourselves.

As for growing up, I think that ties in to what the WWE can get away with doing without me being aware of it. Common sense dicates that with age, I likely grow wiser. The more I learn, the more I know and when they try to tell me that Daniel Bryan is a no-one from nothing indpendents, I'm bound to look sideways.

So tell me, is it just the WWE? It is just a case of the AE being better than the PG or do we ourselves spoil our own entertainment, week in, week out?

Submit "Are We Spoiling Ourselves?" to Digg Submit "Are We Spoiling Ourselves?" to del.icio.us Submit "Are We Spoiling Ourselves?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Are We Spoiling Ourselves?" to Google

Updated 05-30-2012 at 08:10 AM by Music My Savior (Typos)

Categories
Thoughts and Opinions

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    we do spoil ourselves but it also saves us time not to watch shows or matches that last like 2 minutes so we can just skip them does take the excitement out of it but oh well.
    very interesting read. And I have to pretty much agree on all fronts. These sites definitely ruin things. If things were like this in 1997, we would have known about the Montreal screwjob two weeks before it happened. LOL
    I still enjoy the payperviews and try to watch them live but because I live in the UK raw is on 1am meaning I can't watch it so I read the spoilers and watch raw on YouTube later. As for Smackdown, I find curiosity always gets the better of me. Personally I think the Wwe should ask the Bbc for some advice on stopping things getting leaked (take The Apprentice for example - nothing gets leaked).
    Callum just record RAW and watch it in the moring when you wake up.
    Quote Originally Posted by DK Wrestling Savior
    very interesting read. And I have to pretty much agree on all fronts. These sites definitely ruin things. If things were like this in 1997, we would have known about the Montreal screwjob two weeks before it happened. LOL
    Lol no we wouldn't...that was kept between a number of people, no way it would have leaked.
    Thanks for the comments guys. I myself am guilty of spoiling myself as well and even though I think it would be better if I didn't, I suppose I can't help myself.
    I liked the read and felt that you have some valid points...

Whilst people are spending their time debating whether or not the WWE are the problem, to which when you look at storylines like Cole/King, you know they can be, why aren't we wondering if we're doing what the title actually says and spoiling ourselves.

This is where my problem lies. I find that most people would rather blame the E Universe for not turning out a damn perfect product, than to admit the fault that they IWC has gotten the best of them. It's so much easier to put all the weight on the company for not entertaining us, rather than to admit and correct our problem in that we buy into the negativity, hype, or overall sense of value the IWC puts into these shows. It's no longer a show that we look for the moments of gold (Punk/Danielson or Punk/Jericho) but we rather focus on the things we can find fault in and bitch about (Brodus Clay, Ryback, Ziggler not being champ, Rhodes not being in the main event, etc.) My opinion, but I did enjoy your first blog my friend
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.