View RSS Feed

The Resh

My response to "An Attitude Era fan...Who came back."

Rating: 11 votes, 3.82 average.
This started out as a comment, but the blog I was commenting on pissed me off so much that my comment basically ended up being longer than the blog itself, so I felt no one would bother reading so I made it into it's own blog.

And my comment was....

I have to disagree completely with you on Cena owning Shamrock, Severn or Blackman. Unless you are going on mic skills, and mic skills alone. Those guys could perform in the ring way better than Cena. And the fact that you said Cena owns Austin (Austin at almost any point in his career) is laughable at best. Even if you want to go by crowd support. Take ANY Cena pop in ANY situation, then go back to the "Invasion" angle when WWF was getting whooped in the ring and everyone wanted the "old Stone Cold" back and he came back from the bar whooping ass with a pool cue. Once the glass shattered the crowd went absolutely nuts. The closest pop to that is when The Rock was introduced as the host of WM27. And even in the ring, Austin could work in the ring better than Cena.

And McMahon/Helmsley promos that last forever and go nowhere?(See any Johnny Ace promo from today). Vinnie Mac could heel circles around Johnny Ace if he was passing out $100 bills to the entire crowd. I challenge you to name one faction in current WWE better than DX. And the fact that you ended your blog stating that the belts are all now meaningless made your entire rant to be exactly like you say those belts are now, meaningless. How can you say PG era is better than Attitude era when you claim the prize they are all fighting for has less meaning these days? And yes, Cena could whoop Chyna, that was a bit pointless to say. Yes, the Attitude Era had some dumb shit happen, but the PG era surpasses them in the dumb shit category by leaps and bounds(anonymous Raw GM, anyone? Lawler vs. Cole?). How many times did a 100 lbs female dominate Chyna in the ring? Because it used to happen every week with Kelly Kelly and Beth Phoenix in this era, when it is quite obvious to everyone in the crowd, fan of KK or not, that it was absolutely absurd.

Please, PLEASE, name one single moment in the PG era that made your jaw drop and say "What the fuck? WOW!" like when Undertaker threw Mankind off the cell. Or when NAOs threw Cactus Jack and Terry Funk off the stage in the dumpster.

I agree that there are plenty of matches these days, but back then, there were as well. You're going to tell me Owen Hart couldn't go in the ring? Really going to tell me Shamrock couldn't go? Although Bryan and Punk are talented wrestlers, Kurt Angle is hands down the best technical wrestler to ever step foot in a WWF ring. What tag team today could handle the New Age Outlaws? The APA? The Brothers of Destruction? The Dudley Boyz? The Hardy Boyz? Edge & Christian? What heel faction now is better than The Corporation? The Ministry of Darkness?

And when you say the Attitude Era would have killed for a Kofi Kingston? You act like he is being shot to the moon in this era. He gets put in random tag teams that make no sense, the piss poor excuse for tag belts get put on partner of the time, they have a boring reign, then it's done. I like Kofi, and wish they would do him more justice. He is by far the most athletic superstar in the company today, but don't go saying the AE would have killed for him when the PG is only 1 step above burying him.

Yes! better than What? Really? If you listen on Raw, the Yes! chants are dying down a bit unless Bryan is out there doing it himself. What? still happens damn near every raw, and in case you haven't noticed, Austin is never there. WHAT? I SAID AUSTIN IS NEVER THERE!

It's also funny to me that you say the AE was full of catch phrases to get a pop, then you continue to say they would kill to have a guy who every single time he is out claims he is "the most must see wwe superstar of all time" and that "I'm the Miz, and I'm AAAAWWWEEESSSSOMMME!" Again, I like the Miz, but that sure as hell seems like a catch phrase to me, and that's the bottom line.

Stone Cold never did what he thought was good for WWF? How about turning what the WWF made a stale boring character, into the Texas Rattlesnake with one of the most legendary promos of all time. In case you missed it "Austin 3:16 says I just whipped your ass!" Yea, he may have left because of a disagreement on where the creative direction was headed, but your boy Cena is all about standing up for what you believe in, at least his character is.

You're really going to say that Austin and Undertaker didn't have chemistry in the ring? That statement made me want to vomit on my laptop, the only thing holding me back from doing it was the thought of having to type this response on my phone.

And you can stop requesting that we all GO BACK AND WATCH, because WE DO! I regularly am on YouTube watching old matches. And I NEVER finish and say, man, that was...what did you say...Matches were often chaotic spot rests, sporadic offence, odd psychology or none at all, talent often seemed lost in the ring, sluggish and relying on gimmick matches to crutch the contest. Really, no gimmick matches these days? Hmm, I guess Kane and Cena weren't just in an ambulance match, Punk and Jericho in a Chicago street fight, they never have MITB matches. And it's not like they now have entire PPVs named after these so-called gimmick matches of the AE. I guess I dreamt watching the Hell in a Cell PPV, I guess I should lay off the weed if I'm dreaming up entire PPVs.

I hope I'm not the only one that laughed when you were bitching about Kurt Angle being slapped around by a guy yammering on about "ruthless aggression" maybe him not wearing jorts kind of threw you off and you didn't recognize him, but, THAT WAS CENA! You know, the guy you basically labeled the best ever in all caps and bold letters.

MATCHES ARE BETTER... don't be fooled. Ten years ago, raws matches were largely shit and two minutes long. Did you not just watch Raw last night? The US champ was squashed in less than a minute, and Sheamus dismantled Otunga just as quickly.

Your blog, was at best, a pile of hot steamy garbage. Your blog was worse than you claim the matches were back then. Maybe it was lacking some catch phrases for cheap pops.

I was, like you claim to be, a fan of the Attitude Era. A REAL fan of the Attitude Era. Not just someone who saw a Raw once, then King of the Ring a year later while flipping threw the channels and decided to start watching. I watched religiously every week. Watched every Raw, PPV, even the weekend highlight shows. I'm a fan of todays product as well. But if I miss a Raw on accident, or even a Smackdown(mostly on purpose) I don't get upset. I watch NXT and Superstars online. I check this website more times than I can count every day. No matter how bad, corny, or down right laughable this product gets, I defend my fanhood to the very end against anyone who wants to give me shit about it. But I've sat back, gritted my teeth and bit my tongue while people on here try to downplay the Attitude Era. I guess your blog was the straw that finally broke this camels back. You turned Stunning Steve into Stone Cold Steve Austin if you want to relate it to wrestling.

Let the debates end here. Punk and Bryan, love them both. But they can both put on wrestling clinics until Bryan wants a burger and Punk needs a beer. I'll gladly watch it because I love pure wrestling. But this era will never be the Attitude Era. Blame it on internet spoilers, social media, WWF being WWE, the company going public, Linda wanting to play politician, whatever you want. The Attitude Era was better.

I'll end with this. The Attitude Era is the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be and that's the bottom line if you smell what The Resh cookin' and may it rest in peace. And for those of you who are not down with that, I've got 2 words for ya...SUCK IT! HAVE A NICE DAY!

Submit "My response to "An Attitude Era fan...Who came back."" to Digg Submit "My response to "An Attitude Era fan...Who came back."" to del.icio.us Submit "My response to "An Attitude Era fan...Who came back."" to StumbleUpon Submit "My response to "An Attitude Era fan...Who came back."" to Google

Comments

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    we have a feud ladies and gentlemen i'm enjoying this
    This is a great blog but HELL NO!! the pg era ain't nothing like the AE sure the AE had some boring shit but they didn't do it for 8 F'n years putting The Rock & Stone Cold on top for that long like they do with Cena. And Please people stop saying John Cena is in character because he is not a character he wants to be himself in wrestling entertainment he says it all the time in his promos that's the reason he doesn't turn heel because of his fans who buy his ugly ass merchandise and the make a wish that's Why.
    Let me rephrase what I said THIS WAS A F***** AWESOME BLOG you just ripped the other guys blog into pieces because I absolutely 110% agree with everything you said
    Thank You Thank You THANK YOU!!!!
    You really said everything that I was going to say. I was gonna reply with a blog of my own titled "A TRUE Attitude Era Fan... Who Returned" It was obvious that that person was trying to piss people off with that blog. I bussed out laughing at number 5 when the guy started the John Cena rant and said that Cena was better than Dan Severn, Austin, and the rest of the wrestlers he mentioned. I can truly say that YOUare indeed a TRUE Attitude Era Original like myself. Great Blog and way to represent those of us who were there through the best times of wrestling and actually enjoy the art/sport of wrestling.
    Hi all.

Resh thanks for reading my blog, I appreciate that while a lot of the things I wrote would garner disagreement, a few of them were made with tongue in cheek. But I appreciate that you feel very strongly about which era was better and, I read your blog and I take some of your points.

But I would say this; the point I was making was not that the attitude era is inferior to the current product, but that the current product gets a lot of crap and criticism that I think it doesn't deserve. I don't think it's perfect. I don't think the funkasaurus is amazing or anything, but frankly it's nothing we haven't seen before and I don't know why it's shit now but in the past it gets a free pass, just as one example.

No I don't like that the us champ gets buried, in fairness the belt shouldn't be on santino but that's not the point. I acknowledged that the pg era has ruined the titles and that's one area where improvements are needed. So I'm sorry for the confusion - again I know it's not perfect, but the point I'm making is, neither was the product ten years ago and a lot of the same issues were present.

Look, I love wrestling, I loved the 80s, I love the attitude era and I love it now. I don't see why it has to be so tribal, like i like the "wrong" type of wrestling now. I can criticise the attitude era very easily if I look at it with the same cynicism ppl look at wrestling with now.

But I stand by a lot of my comments. In the years I highlighted things were stale and main event matches were embarrassing. In 99 Austin was hurt and a wreck, and I think cena in the ring now beats the shit out of austins work in that time period. And I'm right.

But I still love Austin, I'm not saying cenas career is better than his, but cena gets a lot of shit, and ppl seem to make him the mascot for everything that's wrong with the WWF nowadays, and I wanted to defend him. I'm not a fan per se, but I do admire cenas commitment and the matches he has with a variety of different guys, something Austin couldn't always pull off. And I think he deserves some credit, that's all.

One thing I will concede is yes, jaw dropping moments, you've got a point. Definitely. No one is flying off a cell or through 8 tables or taking 25 chair shots. And I appreciate there are other examples that aren't necessarily purely based on how badly a performer is willing to genuinely risk his body, but another point of mine was that the attitude is riddled with the "holy shit" moments. The tent pole moments that we all remember, and while I adore the guys that did those things, if you take them away and the freedom to do those kinds of stunts in the ring- as the current performers have suffered from, then I think the attitude era would have been chopped down considerably and pretty exposed. And I'm right.

But lest we forget, the fact that horrible things have happened to pro wrestlers and others around them in the last ten years, and things had to change - there is a gd reason why wrestling now is PG, why some moves are now banned, why you can't take weapon shots to the head and why the WWF is trying to clean up its image, so there's good reason why things should be the way they are, and I truly believe performers today do incredibly well despite these restrictions and I think the focus is back on wrestling rather than "holy shit" spots and ├╝ber violence - though I did love those elements in the day.

But the PG era has had its share of amazing moments - but matches as a whole, rather than, say, Shane McMahon falling 80ft off the Titan tron (the rest of the match was very meh btw). Things like the title match last Sunday, or taker v michaels, rick flairs "last match" etc I think deserve "jaw dropping" status.

And yes CM PUnks promos last year did bring me back into wrestling, bret and shawn in the same ring face to face a couple of years ago stands out to me also. Though I concede these moments are few and far between.

Again I loved the attitude era, but please don't put it on this pedestal, it had a wealth of room 101 problems, and my blog was intended to defend today's product which consequently I believe, unfairly gets ripped on when in fact, considering its restrictions and mass demographic, is a damn respectable product.

Now remember I havent caught everything from the last 5-6 years so my perspective is a bit limited, it may be had I endured through the late 00s that I'd be as sick as the rest of you. But I'm not. So I shared.

Anyway I don't want a feud because frankly we're obviously both passionate fans that watch the same show so, if we still disagree then, respect.

Sorry for the long reply. I did enjoy your blog and will be reading yours in future.

P.s I didn't say Austin never did what was right for business, the man worked until his body fell apart, and I'll always love and respect the man for it. But he didn't build that golden era on his own and more than once he's flipped the finger at the WWF and went home and fucked things up. My point was I don't think cenas ever fucked the WWF, or the fans out of a dream match because of his ego. I'm not saying austins evil or anything. Just that cena should get credit for that.

Right I'm done... Also I'm well aware ruthless aggression man was cena. I'm a wrestling geek for gods sake. But I am allowed to site certain things as reasons I lost interest and still appreciate the man today

All my love,

Sundaycall x
    @Sundaycall Why should people give Cena credit cuz he's a hard worker, he does ton of wishes and because his wrestling entertainment is exciting LOL!!. As much as I always disliked Cena the only think I give him credit is for what he does for the children outside the WWE but it seems to me whatever it is he does outside he brings it in Wrestling Entertainment so all the lil one's can see he's a SuperHero, Buy his ugly ass merchandise, Kiss there asses while he cuts a promo and let them cheer when he gets the victory or make them cry when he loses so you see John Cena is not a wrestling character he use to be back in the day but only for 4 yrs early in his career and from there his make a wish status made him be himself in Wrestling Entertainment.

You don't think John Cena didn't f*** up the WWE of course he did he made millions and millions of people stop watching WWE and trust me if you go up to any random person and asked them who is John Cena or Cm Punk they would be like WHO?? but if you mention The Rock, Stone Cold, Undertaker, Hulk Hogan and Macho Man people would say Oh!! the Wrestler yeah they were great, So you see Cena did made the WWE was it is today because he is one of those yes men I'll do it for the money Shit!! I would act all nice kiss the lil one's asses Why Cuz there paying me allot of money so you see your respected, hard worker, should be respect "Phony" John Cena is playing his part like a good puppet because he's getting paid for it. NUFF SAID Cuz I've Cena Nuff and his B**** Ass fans except for the sick ones
    Quote Originally Posted by LegendsMadeWrestling
    @Sundaycall Why should people give Cena credit cuz he's a hard worker, he does ton of wishes and because his wrestling entertainment is exciting LOL!!. As much as I always disliked Cena the only think I give him credit is for what he does for the children outside the WWE but it seems to me whatever it is he does outside he brings it in Wrestling Entertainment so all the lil one's can see he's a SuperHero, Buy his ugly ass merchandise, Kiss there asses while he cuts a promo and let them cheer when he gets the victory or make them cry when he loses so you see John Cena is not a wrestling character he use to be back in the day but only for 4 yrs early in his career and from there his make a wish status made him be himself in Wrestling Entertainment.

You don't think John Cena didn't f*** up the WWE of course he did he made millions and millions of people stop watching WWE and trust me if you go up to any random person and asked them who is John Cena or Cm Punk they would be like WHO?? but if you mention The Rock, Stone Cold, Undertaker, Hulk Hogan and Macho Man people would say Oh!! the Wrestler yeah they were great, So you see Cena did made the WWE was it is today because he is one of those yes men I'll do it for the money Shit!! I would act all nice kiss the lil one's asses Why Cuz there paying me allot of money so you see your respected, hard worker, should be respect "Phony" John Cena is playing his part like a good puppet because he's getting paid for it. NUFF SAID Cuz I've Cena Nuff and his B**** Ass fans except for the sick ones
    Huh? Ok. But I said he never fucked the WWF, as in wouldn't play ball, or threw his toys outta the pram and refused wrestle a match or work an angle. I like that, cuz many other wrestlers that ppl off the street could name, have done that. And yes it deserves credit. And yes never taking time off does deserve credit. Yes you might think he single handedly wrecked the WWF but he hasn't lost casual fans by himself and he doesn't right the story lines or promos.

But hey. Keep hating! I just don't know why u givea shit if ppl who aren't fans know the wrestlers names? It doesn't really reflect the product that much. I can't name one ice hockey player, I bet that means it sucks now.

I kid. Peace out.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.