View RSS Feed

D.D. Hobbs

Daniel Bryan's Future is Recognizing his Past

Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
Daniel Bryan has a tough decision to make. Where will Daniel Bryan fit into WWE history? Not professional wrestling history, mind you, but WWE history. We already know his place in wrestling purists hearts. He is one of us. He's a backyard wrestler who has made it to the top almost as far as it goes. Almost... The WWE is a difficult beast to conquer. He has won championships, had memorable matches, and attracted a large following but he isn't quite as high as he could go.

A lot of it depends on the fans. The fans...the same ones who booed Goldberg and Brock Lesner out of the building. The same ones who chant “Albert”. Reminding Lord Tensai every match that he is just one of many gimmicks and they aren't going to play along with it. Can Daniel Bryan keep himself relevant and entertaining enough to keep the fans wanting more?

I think it would be beneficial for both sides if the WWE allowed Daniel Bryan to show off his credentials. The casual observer has no idea what Daniel Bryan has been through. I believe that if the rest of his career was spoken of more highly, the fanbase would grow to respect him enormously. While this is difficult because of the WWE not acknowledging other companies, they are really missing the boat on this. In this current state of the WWE, everybody talks about that one thing with each superstar over and over again. CM Punk is straight edge. Lord Tensai was a star in Japan. Randy Orton hears voices in his head. And Daniel Bryan is...a vegan?

I restrain myself from going in detail on Daniel Bryan's career as most of those who read this will probably be somewhat familiar with it. To keep it short for those that don't...

Major Championships Held

APW Worldwide Internet Championship
ASW World Heavy Middleweight Championship
ECWA Tag Team Championship
NWA Canadian Junior Heavyweight Championship
FIP Heavyweight Championship
IWA Puerto Rico Heavyweight Championship
MCW Southern Light Heavyweight Championship
MCW Southern Tag Team Championship
NWA Southern Junior Heavyweight Championship
IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship
PWG World Championship
GHC Junior Heavyweight Championship
ROH Pure Championship
ROH World Championship
TWA Tag Team Championship
wXw World Heavyweight Championship
WSW Heavyweight Championship
WWE World Heavyweight Championship
WWE United States Championship

Pro Wrestling Report Independent Wrestler of the Year (2006)
Wrestling Observer Newsletter's Best Technical Wrestler (2005-2011)
Wrestling Observer Newsletter's Match of the Year (vs. Takeshi Morishima, 2007)
Wrestling Observer Newsletter's Most Outstanding Wrestler (2006-2010)
Wrestling Observer Newsletter's Wrestler of the Decade (2000-2009)

Imagine Daniel Bryan telling CM Punk that in their “independent days” he was always number two to him. Imagine him telling John Cena that he has no idea what it means to put his blood and sweat into his boss' company. Imagine him telling the Rock that it's easy to get over with 25,000 fans...try to get over in a high school gymnasium with 100 people who don't know your name. Fans would go nuts!! It is hard to say whether he would be booed or cheered. Either way, there would be a reaction.

The WWE likes it when they can create a superstar. But they LOVE it when the superstar creates themselves. Stone Cold Steve Austin was pretty much just Steve Williams. Bret Hart was Bret Hart. Daniel Bryan needs to be Bryan Danielson from Aberdeen, Washington. Not the guy who was on NXT or the former member of the Nexus. But the hard-working, world renowned, leader of modern technical wrestling.

This wouldn't just be a stepping stone for Daniel Bryan. It would be a stepping stone for the entire company. The WWE shows zero humility towards anything else. “Nothing is better than the WWE and therefore we won't even mention it...case closed.” Now...here is this guy that is a poster-child for independent wrestling. A man who used to be called “the American Dragon” without having to make a million T-shirts reminding everybody who he was. A guy that any wrestling company would want to have in a heartbeat and he has chosen to conquer the biggest mountain of them all. You want to speak of bringing legitimacy to the company...how about someone that would almost prefer to play for the another team?

When it all comes down to it, Daniel Bryan needs to be better than the WWE to succeed. I guess, for the most part, that would make him a heel. But that is exactly the kind of heel we want. A heel who hates the company he works for. He hates his competition. But...he loves his fans. That's the kind of guy the WWE needs in this climate of reality television. A piece of art.

Submit "Daniel Bryan's Future is Recognizing his Past" to Digg Submit "Daniel Bryan's Future is Recognizing his Past" to del.icio.us Submit "Daniel Bryan's Future is Recognizing his Past" to StumbleUpon Submit "Daniel Bryan's Future is Recognizing his Past" to Google

Updated 05-29-2012 at 03:43 AM by D.D. Hobbs

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

that was a fantastic friggin' blog.

all the points were fantastic and well written. The idea of DBD getting in the grill of punk, cena and rocky. is just sublime. I get goosebumps just thinking about it.

Top notch.
    Wow... Just wow Hobbs. That's good stuff. I have been thinking this way for quite some time... and you know what would cap it off?... If they gave him final countdown again for his entrance theme!
    Good Stuff. I especially enjoyed the fact that you didn't go on and on about "Yes!". You told it from where he actually came from and where he needs to go...and not just simmer in his "Yes" cult following like he is now.
    Updated 05-29-2012 at 12:11 PM by DK Wrestling Savior
    Love it, Love it, Love it...

Alot of people on this site like to think they are good bookers but really they should stick to writing blogs. However This is the best idea for a wrestler I've read on this site.
    Well Done.
    great blog! i think this is the first blog i read and its awesome!! i agree with everything
    Agreed. Great read.
    Also, it could just be me, but I'm starting to get really worried about this name he's currently got. He's on his way to cementing his legacy & a it'd be a shame if fans refer to him as "Daniel Bryan" from now on. That's so stupid! I don't want "Daniel Bryan" to be on TV 5 years from today.

I want BRYAN DANIELSON.
    Awesome blog. If people love Daniel Bryan as he is now, no way they wouldn't go crazy for Bryan Danielson. I miss that ferocity he used to show - a vicious technical monster who dissected his victims with precision, not the "Yes man" we see now. Bring him back - and let him show the world what it means to be truly amazing.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.