View RSS Feed

Mr.Turtle

Classic Matches #1: Kurt Angle & Chris Benoit vs Edge & Rey Mysterio

Rate this Entry
Hey guys, Mr.Turtle here again after a long while. Schools been a bit time consuming and i'm in my final year of exams. But I've managed to find time to come up with a new concept. This concept is fairly basic, I review a popular match from past years and describe the follow up, aftermath and give an opinion on it (as well as a video/s of the match for your own pleasure). This is a trial run so your comments on how I can improve would be very much appreciated. But anyway . . .

Let's get on with the match . .

Kurt Angle & Chris Benoit vs Edge & Rey Mysterio, No Mercy 2002

Build up:
This match was, of course, the finals of the inaugural Tag Team Championship tournament on the Smackdown brand. This being part of the brief, but brilliant, Smackdown six era most matches were of a good to decent quality. The main three tag teams of the tournament were the wrestlers that made up the Smackdown six, who put on great matches weekly, Los Guerrero's, Angle & Benoit, and Edge & Mysterio were seen as the front runners of the tournament and it was proven when Edge & Rey guaranteed their place in the final as the Guerrero's and Angle/Benoit were placed against each other in the semi-final.

One of the main aspects of the build-up to this match was whether or not Angle and Benoit could work cohesively as a tag team, because of their competitive nature. It would seem as though they couldn't, but with (then GM) Stephanie McMahon's threat to suspend them without pay for the year, they soon got working together (well, sorta). This then led to the semi-finals match between Angle/Benoit and the Guerrero's, where Benoit hinted at turning on Angle by using the steel chair, but he quickly swerved and attacked the Guerrero's earning him and Angle a place in the finals.

The Match:
This then led to the match to the PPV match to crown the first Tag Team Champions:

Opinion:
If you just saw (or have seen) the match you know it's simply fantastic and an almost scary diffidence to the matches put on by tag teams today. The reason for this is due to the fact that the tag team division is an afterthought to Vince, with tag teams made up of brothers/jobbers/or mid-carders which creative have nothing for (see: Kingston, Kofi and Truth, R). It truly is a shame, because matches like these should really be shown to Vince in an attempt to make him realize that the tag team division can be of use. It really frustrates me when 10 years ago from this darn good match, that the crowd was into, the tag team division is rarely featured on PPV and is usually performed without any interest/care from the crowd.

Overall, the match was a near-perfect blend of psychology/intensity/and tag-teaming that nearly gets close to hitting the mark in terms of me rating it *****. But, notice the fact that I put near, the reason for this is that something is missing for me that is just stopping it getting 5 stars. I'm not sure what it is, but something is needed to get the top score. As a result, i'll leave it at ****3/4.

Aftermath:
Edge & Rey would win the titles soon after in a 2/3 falls match before the Los Guerrero's got in on the action at survivor series (and won) in a match that didn't (or couldn't) live up to standards. Angle won the WWE title at Armageddon leading to a great match between him and Benoit at the Royal Rumble. Angle won and moved on to feud with Brock, whilst Edge got injured; Rey moved to the crusierweights; and Benoit became an upper-midcarder before winning the rumble. And thus the Smackdown six era was over. In my opinion, a WWE brand hasn't been that good (on a weekly basis) since the era (although the Summer of Punk 2 could argue that) and it's a shame, if not a little scary, that WWE have been unable to reach (or match) that peak in 10 years.

If you could please leave comments on your opinions they'd be much appreciated and if there's a match you'd recommend, please feel free to say and I may or may not use it .

But anyway guys thanks for reading my blog and i'll ,hopefully, do classic matches #2 in about a weeks time.

Submit "Classic Matches #1: Kurt Angle & Chris Benoit vs Edge & Rey Mysterio" to Digg Submit "Classic Matches #1: Kurt Angle & Chris Benoit vs Edge & Rey Mysterio" to del.icio.us Submit "Classic Matches #1: Kurt Angle & Chris Benoit vs Edge & Rey Mysterio" to StumbleUpon Submit "Classic Matches #1: Kurt Angle & Chris Benoit vs Edge & Rey Mysterio" to Google

Updated 03-30-2012 at 04:24 PM by Mr.Turtle

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

in my opinion this is the greatest normal 2 on 2 tag team match the wwe has ever had this match and the hell in a cell is the only reason im getting the dvd of no mercy 2002 and takes away the horrid taste that the triple h and kane storyline left
    Quote Originally Posted by LMPunker
    in my opinion this is the greatest normal 2 on 2 tag team match the wwe has ever had this match and the hell in a cell is the only reason im getting the dvd of no mercy 2002 and takes away the horrid taste that the triple h and Kane storyline left
    I have the DVD and it's good (minus the Katie Vick storyline), certainly worth a look for this match alone.
    Damn, thanks for posting this match. I forgot how great this match was.
    Quote Originally Posted by stinger13
    Damn, thanks for posting this match. I forgot how great this match was.
    No problem

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.