View RSS Feed

Phillyraines

Evaluating the Top 25 Mic Men List

Rate this Entry
There is a lot of attention to Roddy Piper not being #1 on the list. But...he is #2...ALL TIME! And he is #2 behind the greatest most popular superstar (arguably) in WWE history, Stone Cold Steve Austin. That's pretty good. Would I put Piper as #1 all time...hell yeah. But, I'm not sure it warrants severe complaining that he is #2 behind Austin.

Paul Heyman and Bobby Heenan are way too low. If you have seen the Spectacular Legacy of the AWA DVD (exceptional DVD by the way), Nick Bockwinkle (who would be a on a top 25 talker's list himself for wrestling history). puts Heenan over big time...and rightfully so. So both Heyman and Heenan I would move up.

The Miz, Santino Marella and Rick Rude probably shouldnt be on the list. Rude...maybe. He was a good talker...but top 25 ever in WWE history? I don't know...I could probably come up with 25 guys better than him. The Miz and Santino though...really? I don't think so LOL

CM Punk, John Cena, Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage are too high...CM Punk is GREAT on the mic and my favorite wrestler of the newPG era. He doesn't have enough time in at this level to be as high as he is. Just my opinion, but I wouldnt argue hard against his spot...I'd just drop him slightly. Savage was confusing during lots of interviews/promos. He should be on here...but #11 all time? A little too high he is (says Yoda). Hogan also...a little too high. He was good (much better as a heel in WCW...but I loved him as a kid in the 80s, which of course was his target audience so that works). John Cena is good on the mic - especially when he takes the role he did during his feud with the Rock leading up to WM28. But at times, Cena is very average...not worthy of being #7 all time.

Who is missing? Well Shawn Michaels is probably the most glaring choice. How in the hell could HBK not be on a top 25 talkers list...and the Miz is?? That's a total head scratch right there. You're telling me that in a HBK-Miz feud...the Miz would talk circles around Shawn Michaels? Yeah...again...I don't think so.

Shawn Michaels totally missing from the list and the Miz being on it would be my 2 biggest surprises. I'm surprised Michaels being left over didn't get more attention than Piper being #2. That's a much bigger mistaker for me.

So here's my revised list for the Top 25 WWE Masters of the Mic -

1. Rowdy Roddy Piper - but whining about being #2 behind Stone Cold is a little silly.
2. Stone Cold Steve Austin - Few people got babyface reactions like Austin. From 1996 - 2003 (and any appearances he makes since), his crowd reactions were and are off the charts.
3. The Rock - I wonder if there would have been less complaining if Piper was #2 behind Rock?
4. Chris Jericho - He is everything he says is. Just fantastic on the mic.
5. Bobby Heenan - Watch the AWA and WWE in the 80s - even his announcing in WCW...he deserves top 5 all time.
6. Jake the Snake Roberts - He was good in the ring - he was great on the mic. He is living proof that you don't need to shout to grab the attention of the masses.
7. Ric Flair - He hasn't been a top 10 talker in a long time...but during the better part of 2 1/2 decades, he was top 3.
8. Dusty Rhodes - See comments for Stone Cold, same would apply to Dusty.
9. Shawn Michaels - I have him at #9...WWE excluded him from the list?
10. Paul Heyman - No matter what his role, he has always been must-see when he has a mic in a ring.
11. JBL - His heel mic work during his main event run was great week after week.
12. Vince McMahon - He could be higher too. He'd be #1 if there was a best facial expressions list while talking
13. Edge - I always loved his mic work - from the first time he spoke.
14. Mick Foley - Very deserving rank
15. Billy Graham - For old school fans - he was in a rare class during his era in this area.
16. CM Punk - #16 with a bullet...at the conclusion of his career, he'll be higher than this spot.
17. Randy Savage - I could see argument for him being higher. But really...he was "out there" a bit. RIP
18. Triple H - He constantly improved over his career - never as good as HBK, but very close.
19. Hulk Hogan - #19 is a good spot for him
20. Jesse Ventura - Great on the mic as an active competitor...exceptional as an announcer.
21. Ted Dibease Sr. - Another one that could be higher and you wouldn't get much of an argument out of me.
22. John Cena - I can live with him being #22.
23. Bret Hart - He greatly improved over his career - by the mid 90s, he was solid.
24. Undertaker - Whenever he talks, what little he says, he get's major reactions and pops.
25. Kurt Angle - Heel or Face - during his WWE time...he was always entertaining.

Submit "Evaluating the Top 25 Mic Men List" to Digg Submit "Evaluating the Top 25 Mic Men List" to del.icio.us Submit "Evaluating the Top 25 Mic Men List" to StumbleUpon Submit "Evaluating the Top 25 Mic Men List" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    add the following to the list in no particular order...

nick bockwinkle, jim cornette, classie freddie blassie, captain lou albano, michael ps hayes, david shultz, jj dillon, tully blanchard, scott steiner, bubba rey dudley, the boogey woogie man jimmy valiant, bugsy mcgraw, and the road warriors...
    Updated 05-29-2012 at 08:48 PM by eldoryazdee
    Sorry to argue this but Kane deserves a spot on this list, he is up with Punk for being the best on the mic right now.
    Why is Undertaker on your list? I would also put Cena above Triple H
    Bret Hart couldn't cut a promo to save his life...
    Quote Originally Posted by akbar
    Bret Hart couldn't cut a promo to save his life...

Now I'm first and for most going to say Bret Harts' return a few years back was horrible. Hell, being a Bret Hart mark, I was even discraced. But I will have to agree with Phillyraines, throughout the mid 90's his mic skills did improve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSHSH7FXve4

I'm not saying he deserves to be on the list, but to say he couldn't cut a promo to save his life?? Total b.s IMO.
    Bret's the wrong Hart if you're looking for a speaker, Owen in the top 25 instead?
    Rock is the best ever if you ask me.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.