View RSS Feed

Darkside Ron Garvin

What if? (Bruiser Brody)

Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
Bruiser Brody died on July 18, 1988 due to a stab wound given to him by Jose Gonzales (Invader 1) while wrestling an event for World Wrestling Council (A promotion started by Carlos Colón, father of Carlito and Primo. Uncle to Epico). Brody bled to death on an operating table in Puerto Rico. Jose Gonzalez was acquitted on all counts of the crime after Colon testified on his behalf. No American wrestler was able to make it to the trial to testify on Brody’s behalf.

This is a story that has always interested me, but I am not going to divulge into the actual controversy that surrounded the case. This blog is geared towards this. What if Bruiser Brody hadn’t gone to Puerto Rico that night, and instead returned to wrestle for the NWA or AWA? (I eliminate Brody from being part of the WWWF because he was indeed blackballed by Vince Sr. after a backstage fist-fight with Gorilla Monsoon) I’d like to think that this man could have had a great deal in the swing of how the history of the wrestling industry turned out. He was a brilliant “beast” who could not only tell stories in the ring working with talent, but also could intimidate you while you watched him cut promos on television. He was the Undertaker before Mark Calaway became the Undertaker. I like to think of it this way. If in the late 80s to early 90s, Hogan had the WWF, Flair had the NWA, and Brody had the AWA, there would be a vast change in how the business would be today. The three men were definitely unique draws (you might not have heard of Brody, but the man could draw pretty solid crowds and garnered a 5 star rating on his Dec 8th, 1984 match with Stan Hansen vs. the Funks) and it would have been an interesting perspective.

Better yet, if you know anything about Brody, then imagine what would have happened if Heyman acquired him during the 93-01 run of the original ECW. Cactus Jack and Bruiser Brody vs. The Dudleyz. Bruiser Brody vs. Tommy Dreamer. To have a veteran who knew the business inside and out… To have a veteran that wouldn’t “work” for Lex Luger because Luger didn’t respect the business enough to “sell” for stars at the time… To have another veteran that made hardcore wrestling an actual STORY instead of just violence. He might have been the guiding hand that could have helped get over many more stars. Terry Funk is a Hall of Famer that helped to make ECW what it was. Now imagine what could have happened if he had the help of Bruiser Brody.

Brody was the last of a dying breed in that he was a “territory” guy. He was able to travel throughout the entire US to Canada to Japan to Mexico and even to the place of his untimely death in Puerto Rico. He was welcomed where he wanted to roam because they knew if they booked Brody, people would come to see him. The man’s influence is written all over those who watched him wrestle. From those trying to be Hardcore, to those Big Men who were insane but tried to play normal. Brody might not be someone the common wrestling fan of today would know, but what if July 16th, 1988 never happened? Could the same statement still be made?

Okay, so the only blogs I have done so far have been the "How to Regain" series. After reading blogs as normal, I thought of one that I am not sure anyone has written on the site before, but I have to write this one specific entry. Not for recognition from the likes of my peers, but rather to enhance an idea that I have pondered about when dealing with many superstars that have been forgotten to the pages of wrestling history books. I doubt this will turn into another series, but this is a concept that could very well be one… However, I would it much rather be carried on by other bloggers who remember the wrestlers of the past and think about “What If”

If you’ve enjoyed this blog, read this following article.
http://deadspin.com/bruiser-brody/
I also employ you to do some research into who Bruiser Brody was. He might have been blackballed from the WWWF but the man definitely etched in blood a place in the annuals of the Wrestling Industry.

Submit "What if? (Bruiser Brody)" to Digg Submit "What if? (Bruiser Brody)" to del.icio.us Submit "What if? (Bruiser Brody)" to StumbleUpon Submit "What if? (Bruiser Brody)" to Google

Comments

I don't think Brody was The Undertaker before the Undertaker. I'm not too famlier with Brodys work but I know enough about Brody to know that he wouldn't be a main stay in Crockett Promotions or WWF.

Brody was very independent and didn't like to be tied down to a federation, Brody would of probably had a Stan Hansen like Career in Japan, Brody would of also made Some ECW appearances and probably played a Terry funk roll in ECW... I know him and Cactus Jack would of feuded and he might of made a few appearances in WCW but he way past his prime.

Honestly Bruiser was 42 at the time of his death in 88 and he be well past his prime in 1993 and a shell of his former self. I dont think he would of changed Pro Wrestling and I dont think the AWA would give WWF any more competition if Brody was there.... If Brody was a little less independent and let his guard down a bit and stuck with JCP or WWF, I think he would of had some main event programs and maybe even a short NWA title reign. I know he make a ton of money with a Hulk hogan feud but I think after the Hogan feud they just dispose of Brody.

Brody might of not been a great wrestler but he had a unique look, a Great character and he could really get the crowd in his matches for him or against him.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_CRIPPLER
    Brody was very independent and didn't like to be tied down to a federation, Brody would of probably had a Stan Hansen like Career in Japan

If Brody was a little less independent

Brody might of not been a great wrestler but he had a unique look, a Great character and he could really get the crowd in his matches for him or against him.
    Crip -

The Undertaker comment was more of a way to introduce people to the type of character that he was, rather than to say that they were identical. I feel that both men have/had a unique ability to get crowds into their matches and they were both quite talented as in ring story tellers. I know exactly what you mean when speaking of his independence in the wrestling world. This is one of the things I was speaking of when referring to him being a main stay in AWA or ECW rather than the territory roamer he was... A main stay not only from the perspective of an active wrestling character on screen, but also as a man that could help any company he worked for in MANY other ways. If you have yet to watch it, check out this interview with Brody.

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YsWvII5Ljk
    Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlBbQ...feature=relmfu
    Part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5eKV...feature=relmfu

The man had a great mind for the business. I feel as though Funk and Heyman could have benefitted greatly from a man with such insight to the business helping them not only with ring work, but behind the curtain as well. I do agree that he could have very well ended up with a career in Japan because he was very well received, but I also feel that the wrestling industry as a whole could have benefitted from a man who was so vastly known world wide making it into the later part of his career and helping to educate the newer talent that were coming into the business. Sure, Brody might not have been a Lou Thesz, Sammartino, Backlund, or Bockwinkle... But Brody was pretty athletic for a man his size in the late 70s, early 80s. He had a great ability to make crowds invest emotionally into his matches (his battles with Antonio Inoki were quite the spectacle) and I feel that his mind was the greatest attribute the man had to contribute to the industry. Then again, it's something we will never know. It truly is a "What If".

The whole reason I wrote this blog wasn't to put Brody over, but rather pitch the idea to all the other bloggers on this site about writing "What If" blogs of their own. I always enjoy hearing peoples thoughts on "What if Christopher Daniels, AJ Styles, Reckless Youth, etc. actually made it to Nitro before WCW shut down?" or "What if David Von Erich hadn't gone to the All Japan Tour in 84?" I always though it would be a good read to hear from fellow fans in the IWC as to what questions in wrestling history made them think about how it could have played out differently.
    Interesting blog. Brody was an amazing big man in the wrestling ring. He was extremely agile for his size (6', 6" - 283lbs). It was pretty cool to see him throw a dropkick. I actually got to see him wrestle at the Sportatorium in Dallas a couple of times when I was a kid. He was extremely over with the WCCW crowds.

I think you pose an interesting question. I don't think he would nave been able to "carry" a promotion the way Hogan, Sting, or Flair did but I definitely think he would have been able to contribute to any promotion he would work with. In 1993 I don't think he would be past his prime necessarily because he was one of the few wrestlers back in the day that really took care of himself from what I have heard. He would have definitely been on the back side of his career at that point but would be a great name to use in putting the younger guys over.

Brody has always been one of my favorite wrestlers. Unlike Luger he was the total package. (Sorry, couldn't resist) He was good in the ring, on the mic, and in the business. He would have had a lot to contribute to an organization if he had lived. I doubt it would have been ECW... I just don't see him and Heyman co-existing well. Just my opinion. LOL

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.