View RSS Feed

Domkin

The Jericho Situation

Rating: 2 votes, 2.00 average.
The breaking news of Jerichos suspension is both unfortunate for the WWE and sad for us fans. Although the desecration of any nations flag should be considered the most offensive cheap heat a wrestler can get lets put this into a bit of perspective. From the footage I’ve seen of the event Jericho grabs the flag from Punk, crumples it up and then kicks it out of the ring. When you compare that to the evil Iraqi sympathising Sgt.Slaughter burning the American flag in the ring in the early 90s for example it seems minor. The problem lies in the WWE’s current sensitivity to public perception. Ten years ago an improvised incident like this would have been enhanced to get as much heat out of it as possible, nowadays the WWE see it as an embarrassment and a PR nightmare. For this reason they had no choice but to be seen to publicly reprimand Jericho by suspension.

What I hope is that the WWE release a statement that in some way still shows their support for Chris Jericho the performer and disdain for Chris Jericho the character. He is far too good a performer (probably in most peoples top ten list of in ring talent – certainly in mine) and a true ambassador for the business to be effectively retired due to this one off incident. There needs to be more acknowledgement of the fact that it was the character that desecrated the flag and not the performer.
The sensitivity of the WWE to PR situations that upset certain sectors has been very apparent over the past few years. Bryan was sacked and then rehired 6 months later after choking someone with a tie in a Benoit-esque move. And Finlay lost his job after booking The Miz to interrupt the National Anthem, upsetting National Guard representatives.
I appreciate that in order to improve public image and attract a wider audience the WWE has to demonstrate a level of discipline, and I also appreciate that they are looking to expand their ‘Overseas’ tours and can’t afford to upset officials in the prospective countries they are visiting. But I don’t think throwing their performers to the lions is the right answer. An online apology from an out of character Chris Jericho and a donation to a key Brazilian charity could have put this one to bed in my eyes.

So what next for Jericho? Well I’d be surprised to see him return to television before his planned departure for the Fozzy tour in August. The best bet now is to return him in say 6 months with a new (maybe babyface) character. I just genuinely hope that this is not the last stint in the WWE for Chris.

Usual comments, opinions abuse etc welcome and feel free to follow me on Twitter @dmayerl

Submit "The Jericho Situation" to Digg Submit "The Jericho Situation" to del.icio.us Submit "The Jericho Situation" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Jericho Situation" to Google

Comments

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Linda McMahon is running for office that is why he is suspended. The WWE does not want to do anything to make her look bad since she has been associated with the WWE and it could ruin her Senate run. All of you guys are right though. This is NOTHING compared to the ATTITUDE ERA. Yeah, the era people complain about and wish we stop bringing up. Well guess what if this was the attitude era this would be a NON STORY. Such a shame the WWE has become an organization that has fools dancing in the rings with kids.
    This is rediculous.
    Over PG and over PC.
    I just hope Jericho can use the heat.
    I cannot believe Y2J has been suspended for 30 days over an honest error done in the character of playing a heel!
    If common sense prevailed they could have a famous Brazilian wrestler (if there is one?) offer out Jericho the next night and restore Brasils honour but no PC bs has took hold.
    I believe most fans that night would have understand it was done in character as a heel and gone along with the storyline but if not with hindsight understood a honest mistake had been made.
    Jericho man I stand behind you......
    FREE Y2J...
    Jericho deserves to get a 30 day suspension. You can't play the country flag like crap. I recalled Finlay got fired for not watching out for the wrestlers in the house show. So the person who was in charge of the wrestlers for that day should also be suspended or get fired.
    Slaughter never burned the American flag, btw. He was going to but burned a Hulk Rules shirt instead.
    nothing we can do folks, all about respect regardless of entertainment or not. im just shitty that we have to wait for the orton/jericho feud.
    I am glad that finally WWE has suspended someonefor disrespecting other country's flag...or anthem or beliefs..Following are few incidents I never liked in WWE:

1. HBK outting Canbada's flag into his nose
    2. Many wrestlers interrupting Rene Dupree while he was singing French National Anthem
    3. Bigshow disrespecting Gangajal (water of holy River Ganges) in a segment with Khali..n that made me hate Khali also, that f$#% idiot should not have accepted that segment...

n many more which I could not recall....
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.