View RSS Feed

bearkg88

WBC Series #5: WWE and Authority Figures

Rate this Entry

What is up everybody! So last week, The Piper was able to come out victorious, and continues on as champ. His challenger, Sully, is hoping to sweep Piper's legs out from under his feet and claim the title of WBC Series Champ! Who will walk away the winner? Well, it is up to you to decide. Before you vote though, I've got to give you the blogs to read, so here we go! First up, the challenger, Sully!

Sully

Since the birth of Mr McMahon on TV, who would you consider to be the best Authority Figure in WWE's History?
It definitely has to be Vinnie Mac. Vince is the exact definition of an authority figure, and he's shown it time and time again throughout many storylines in WWE.

An authority figure in WWE, is someone who should be respected...but really isn't. Vince has the power to do whatever he wants, and the WWE stars know that. What makes him different than any other authority figure below him? Well other than being the one with the most power, Vince also has the most enemies.

There will also be non-conformists in society. As an authority figure, Vince has had to deal with his fair share of them.

He mainly started his reign of terror, when he created The Corporation. That is when things really started to kick off with the McMahon's, and people really started to hate Vince and what he's been doing on air. After that, Vince proved once again he was at the top of the wrestling empire, when he bought out WCW.

Vince McMahon then, had to go and deal with two men that would be a pain in his ass, for quite some time...the surviving members of D-Generation X. Triple H and HBK tormented the chairman of WWE as much as possible. Vandalizing his high class jet, costing him matches, and even putting his head up the rear end of The Big Show.

Yet after dealing with multi-millionaires, getting blown up, and having his company ripped away from him by his son-in-law, Vince still seems to have the strongest authority position in all of WWE.

Who would you consider the worst?
The biggest reason I consider Vince McMahon one of the bests, is because of how well he is able to do is job. He was able to make enemies, garner heat, and generally appear as a threat to his superstars. He made it clear that not only could he fire their asses, but he could beat the hell out of them as well.

Well, the person who is the worst, would have to be the exact opposite. Someone who has a very generic way of talking, someone who has to have their enemies forced onto them. A man who is lucky to still have a job with WWE.

That's right, Theodore Long. While Vince McMahon has made many enemies over the years, he did it with style. When Teddy Long feuds with one of his superstars, it just looks sloppy. Take Undertaker for example. Back when Teddy screwed Undertaker out of the World Heavy Weight Championship, in a horrible remake of the Montreal Screwjob, Undertaker kidnapped Teddy Long in his limo. I found this segment to be horribly choppy, and somewhat forced.

It's just when Teddy Long DOES screw someone out of a match, he does it so horribly. Vince makes it known that he's screwing the person over, but Teddy...it's seems like he actually thinks he's making the right call. I mean if you're going to be entirely babyface, don't do something a heel GM would do, because then you have to back it up. Long would make a heel move, then fail to backup why he did it.

The Teddy Long character is extremely sloppy, annoying, and bland. The fact that he's so off an on with when he actually does appear is a joke in itself. I can't even think of another authority figure worse than Mr. Tag Team match.

Is the use of authority figures in main storylines(IE, Lauranitus/Cena, HHH as Special Ref in Punk/Cena SS2011, and others), a good thing or a bad thing?
I think a power struggle between a superstar, and a corrupt authority figure can always have the potential to be very interesting. The thing is, the three examples just given were all pretty much in about the same year. It seems like a feud with an authority figure is ALWAYS going on, and that is just making things way too bland.

I think a good angle between an authority figure and someone else can work once a year. More than once a year though, just makes it start to get annoying to have to sit through again.

Which feud/angle would you consider to be the best from the history of Authority Figures?
The Power alliance formed with The Corporation is the one that comes to mind as the best. Not only did it go on for a good while, but it really set the path for a lot of classic feuds that fans look back on.

It took place right in the prime of the infamous Attitude Era, and was also the foundation for what some people to be the greatest feud in WWE history...Stone Cold vs. The Rock

Does having Lauranitus as the figure for both SD and Raw a good thing or bad thing?
I think it's a bad thing. It's obvious that Lauranitus isn't going to stay as the GM for both brands forever. The longer he does stay, the more predictable the ending of this angle will become. I can't think of a way WWE can end this angle without making things look really sloppy in the end.

I think once it's finally over, the only way to truly remove Lauranitus as the General Manager of Smackdown, is to remove him as the Raw General Manager as well. Then WWE has to get two new GMs for both brands. Of course they can always just put Teddy Long back on Smackdown, but who will be the new Raw GM?

They'll probably be forced to put Vickie back up there, yet again...which will only make things even more repetitive.

Definitely a good blog from someone who normally doesn't blog! Will the champ beat him though? We are about to find out!

The Piper

Authority, my worst enemy... Anyway, still in WBC, I defended my title! YES! YES! YES! Okay lets just go into it.

Since the birth of Mr McMahon on TV, who would you consider to be the best Authority Figure in WWE's History?
There have been plenty of good authority figures on T.V., all with their own special elements. The Anonymous GM was enigmatic, and kept the fans wondering who it was. Commissioner Foley brought comedy to the role, but then again, it's Mick Foley. And, of course, there's Vince-Vince is the guy everybody has met in real life: The boss you really want to punch in the face. That is why Vince is the single best authority figure possibly of all time on T.V, it was so damn relatable, every stunner he took was every punch the fans wish they could give their own boss. Vince was the tyrant, the sadistic son-of-a-bitch, and of course, THE BOSS, which is why he is the best authority figure.

Who would you consider the worst?
First thing that comes to mind here is: TONIGHTS MAIN EVENT WILL BE...A TAG TEAM MATCH! Teddy Long overstayed his welcome, he was'nt funny, he was'nt interesting, and most of all, he was'nt entertaining. Teddy takes the worst GM of all time because he wasnt anything special. He was a generic face character who ran a wrestling brand without actually being a wrestler himself, which erks me. Hell, even Vickie Guerrero was better than he was.

Is the use of authority figures in main storylines a good thing or a bad thing?
If done right, a good thing. But WWE screws up so often that I'm gonna say that it's a bad thing now. Cena vs. Laurinitus was the definition of wrong, sure the match had some funny moments, but it was not a wrestling match, nor was it deserving of the main event of the ppv. Triple H vs. CM Punk could have been the perfect way to get Punk super over, but Triple H's massive ego had to beat CM Punk, so again, that one was a bad thing. Triple H as the ref in the Punk/Cena match as SS last year worked, but nobody asked for closure on the subject of "Cena got Screwed" so I guess it kind of worked on one level. But bottom line is: No, GMs/Authority Figures do'nt usually work in storylines against superstars.

Which feud/angle would you consider to be the best from the history of Authority Figures?
The same feud the WWE has been talking about since 1999, Austin vs. Mcmahon. I'm not a Austin fan, but this feud, to paraphrase from my earlier statements: this was relatable, everybody wanted to kick their boss's ass, so Austin did, and instantly became a hero amonst the fans. It's an easy deduction that this has to be the best Superstar vs. Authority figure feud of all time.

Which would you consider the worst?
Anything that WWE has done recently has been pretty bad, the most notable being Johnny vs. John, and Big Show vs. John's voice. WWE just can't do the whole "against authority" thing anymore. Yes, they have GMs that people love to hate, but they don't have the right GMs or matches to make it memorable or exciting for the viewers. John vs. John was less about actually having a wrestling match, or about being entertaining as it was just to set up Big Show's heel turn, which is pathetic for a ppv main event.

Is having Lauranitus as the figure for both SD and Raw a good thing or bad thing?
At the moment, Johnny has'nt even been showing up on Smackdown, it's almost like Eve is the GM of SD and Johnny is the GM of Raw. WWE should only do something like this if they know what they're doing, if they just have Eve fill in as the GM then it's like Johnny is'nt even double GM. For that reason, I'll say that it's a bad thing. If WWE were doing it right, and had John dealing with Raw and SD business full time then I would say that it's a good thing. But no matter what, it's still better than having Teddy around making noise and tag team main events.

Any final thoughts on authority figures you'd like to share.
Not a lot of people will agree with this, but I want the computer back! It was so enigmatic and intriguing, it made me NEED to watch Raw every week to get clues as to who it was. It dealt with every matter that came up on the shows, it was a perfect heel, it was a great booker (I know, kayfabe, bear with me), and it was an amazing mystery, the fact that it just stopped was a travesty, and I think I speak for everybody when I say that WWE needs closure on these matters.

So glad to still be here, thanks for voting last time, and remember to vote for me again! Just Kidding. Like always, thanks for reading

Ok. Another good blog from the champ! Now it is up to you the reader, to vote for who the better blog!

Submit "WBC Series #5: WWE and Authority Figures" to Digg Submit "WBC Series #5: WWE and Authority Figures" to del.icio.us Submit "WBC Series #5: WWE and Authority Figures" to StumbleUpon Submit "WBC Series #5: WWE and Authority Figures" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Damn the piper has pulled it out the bag again...
    I'm going with sully. They both made pretty much the same points but I found sully's better. It also helped that his was first. It was better articulated.

Side note: I think the champs blog should go first. Give him like a champions advantage. Especially when the blogs are so similar.

Side note to piper: the apostrophe comes after the n. ex: wasn't haven't shouldn't weren't etc.
    As much as I love your blogs Piper, I'm going to have to go with Sully on this one. Both blogs were very well-written, and you both conveyed your points very well. However, I just connected a little more with Sully's work. For one, I HATED the computer. There were no real clues as to who it was, because I honestly believe it was just an out for WWE because they didn't even know themselves where they wanted to go with it. It just felt cheap to me. Having the GM as a machine allowed creative to change its tone and motives to match where the story was going. It could be a heel or a face and not have to tarnish any human being's reputation. To me, that was hella lame. So once again, good work by both, but I have to go with Sully. But be on watch, it may not be this week, but when the time comes, the former champ is coming to get his damn title back.
    Both made very compelling arguments. However...

" Not a lot of people will agree with this, but I want the computer back! It was so enigmatic and intriguing, it made me NEED to watch Raw every week to get clues as to who it was. It dealt with every matter that came up on the shows, it was a perfect heel, it was a great booker (I know, kayfabe, bear with me), and it was an amazing mystery, the fact that it just stopped was a travesty, and I think I speak for everybody when I say that WWE needs closure on these matters."

This section lost it for me. The computer GM only served as a platform for Michael Cole's heel character. I don't think they ever had a plan to reveal the identity...and anything that would give us more Michael Cole than we are already forced to deal with, is a negative.

SULLY gets my vote.
    Sully for me, but congrats to both of you for great blogs

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.