View RSS Feed

Callum

Fav 5: Matches of the year so far!

Rate this Entry
We’re quickly approaching the midpoint of the year and with that said I’ll begin this blog which focuses on my 5 favourite matches of the years so far.

Honourable Mention: Nxt - Tyson Kidd vs Michael Mcgillicutty
I really enjoyed their feud and wished they were given a pay per view match. They had a 3 great technical matches. For those who haven't seen any of them, I recommend you watch them all when you have some time.

5. Extreme Rules – Brock Lesnar vs John Cena
This match was great. It had something a lot of matches have been lacking. A sense of realism. It was a great brawl and I’m definitely looking forward to more Brock Lesnar matches in the future. You could argue that it was just Lesnar beating up Cena for 20 mins but personally I enjoyed it nonetheless.
(Im not some massive Cena hater, I actually wanted him to win for once).

4. Extreme Rules – Sheamus vs Daniel Bryan
What a way to make up for the 18 second match at wrestlemania! Great match were we got to witness Bryan as the cunning heel and Sheamus as a better version of Cena (for now). This match really helped in getting Bryan over and it also cemented Sheamus as a champion.

3. Over the Limit – Cm Punk vs Daniel Bryan
I’m sure this is most people’s no. 1 choice but if you read my last blog you know I like a good story. The 2 matches above this told a story within the match which is why this is only no. 3; I’m not saying Punk and Bryan can’t tell a good story there just wasn’t enough build up (4 weeks is just about right). Technically this match was amazing from start to finish and I hope for a rematch at No Way Out which will incorporate an element of story (and be main event) because for me at least an article on wwe.com isn’t enough for me to want to invest myself in the feud.

2. Extreme Rules – Cm Punk vs Chris Jericho

I couldn’t decide whether this should be no. 1 or not but either way it was a great match which should be used as a template for PG extreme rules matches in the future. It told a great story and was definitely the best personal feud in a long time.

1. Wrestlemania 28 - The Undertaker vs Triple H
I loved this match! It had me on the edge of my seat from start to finish. It told a great story throughout and HBK definitely added to it. The action was great and I thought the streak was over several times throughout the bout. If that was takers retirement match then what a way to go out although I hope he's back for one more match with Kane. So far this definitely has my vote for Match of the Year although there’s plenty of time for that to change.

Thanks for reading as always. I wanted to do something different in my blog from the usual twitter/diva/tag team/review blogs. If this is well received then I’ll consider making this a series with other topics being top 5 breakout stars so far/top 5 moments as well as other topics. Anyway be sure to leave your favourite match of the year so far below!

The Matches

Submit "Fav 5: Matches of the year so far!" to Digg Submit "Fav 5: Matches of the year so far!" to del.icio.us Submit "Fav 5: Matches of the year so far!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Fav 5: Matches of the year so far!" to Google

Updated 05-21-2012 at 03:12 PM by Callum

Categories
Thoughts and Opinions

Comments

Quality picks here. I didnt see the last 2 PPV matches you listed but I heard Great things about them, I will wait for DVD or WWE/24 7 to check them out... What a PPV Extreme Rules must of been to have 3 of the 5 matches of the year so far on it.
    I know you just rated WWE matches, and I'm not sure if you included TNA or ROH in your possible choices but you should really watch Davey Richards vs Michael Elgin from Showdown In The Sun Day 2 if you haven't seen it already. I can't praise that match enough.
    Great list bro. I have to say though, CM Punk vs Daniel Bryan should be #1 or at least #2.
    My 5 fav matches so far 2012
    5.Elimination Chamber Bryan vs Santino vs Barrett vs Rhodes vs Show vs Khali
    4.Extreme Rules Lesnar vs Cena
    3.Fatal 4-way Sheamus vs Orton vs Jericho vs Del Rio
    2.Street Fight Jericho vs Punk
    1.Rock vs Cena
    I agree with your number 1 pick, but I have not had a chance to watch the Punk vs Daniel Bryan match or the Punk vs Jericho match at ER. Your other picks are great matches too btw. I am really looking forward to watching the Punk vs Daniel Bryan match and now I am really looking forward to the Punk vs Jericho match at ER. One question about the ER match between Punk vs Jericho, how does it compare to their match at Wrestlemania?
    I 100% argee with you're list.
    I actually thought the Punk-Jericho match at WM was better than the ER rules match - but I wouldnt argue if both of those matches were in this top 5 list. Both were exceptional. Taker-HHH from WM would be my #1 as well. So overall - great list! only change I'd make is inserting Punk-Jericho from WM as #2 and dropping Punk-Jericho from ER down to #4 (I'm not a fan of Sheamus or Daniel Bryan so their ER match didnt do anything more for me than their WR match lol).

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.