View RSS Feed

Wrestling_Deluxe_08

Wrestling's Achilles Heel: Creating New Superstars

Rating: 5 votes, 2.60 average.
This is another blog that I will be writing off the fly. As usual, I do ask that you leave comments about what you've read afterwards. Don't hold back either.

So the hot topic everyone is talking about in the IWC is the The Miz cashing in his Money in the Bank and becoming world champion last RAW. Personally, I am VERY happy he won the championship. For the last year or so, the Miz has silenced all his critics and risen from mid-carder nobody to main event highlight. He busts his ass off to make the most out of every single event, segment, promo, and match he is involved in and it has paid off for the better. Do you guys remember how this guy looked years ago? I can almost assume nobody thought he would ever win the world title. When he broke up with JoMo in 2008, we all thought Morrison was going to be the one to win the title and Miz was going to fade into midcard hell. Looking back on it now, I am astonished at the massive improvement he has made. If there ever was a Most Improved Wrestler of the Decade award, the Miz would win it hands down.

Of course whenever there is praise, criticism is not too far behind it. Amongst the people who are happy with his win, there are those people who say The Miz 'won the title way too early' and that he 'did not get a proper build-up towards the championship' and does not deserve it. So the purpose of this blog is to defend why I think people like the Miz DO deserve to be world champion and also expose what I believe to be the Achilles heel of the main stream wrestling nowadays. So let’s get to it.

===============================================

First and foremost, let's be real for a minute. This generation of wrestling is weak in so many aspects. To argue against that would mean you would have to explain low PPV buy rates, low enthusiastic crowds at shows, the wrestlers leaving the business, the corny segments on the shows, and other stuff. Good luck. I will admit that the quality of wrestling nowadays is a lot better than how it was in the 80s and 90s, but the overall aura and hype of the sport of wrestling has decreased dramatically. Now some can say that this has to do with the lack of main eventers since HBK, Y2J, Undertaker, and HHH have left. However, I think what is really killing the product of mainstream wrestling for both WWE and TNA is their inability to properly build up new stars. Now ask yourself. What exactly constitutes as a proper build up? Well, here is a list of things a wrestler needs to obtain a proper build up and be considered credible from my perspective.

-- Credible victories over credible wrestlers (No DQ wins)
-- Good amount of time in promos to get their personalities across
-- A record of consistently good matches (low botch rate)
-- A credible title run (4-6 months)
-- The ability to sell a feud or a segment and make it worth watching

Over the last 4 years, I can only recall seven wrestlers that have met just about all of these aspects. CM Punk, Shelton Benjamin, Kofi Kingston, John Morrison, Ken (Kennedy) Anderson, MVP, Christian, and The Miz. All of these wrestlers have covered the qualities above to some extent. Do they cover them all perfectly? No. But they cover them well enough to be considered credible, IMO. Any one of these men can walk out to an audience and get some kind of a reaction out of them. Now let me ask you this? Out of all those men above, who do you see beating John Cena, Triple H, Undertaker, or Randy Orton fair and square? If you ask me, I would say almost none of them. Guess what? That is a problem. When Stone Cold Steven Austin was coming up in the mid 1990s, he was kicking the asses of people like Jake The Snake Roberts, Mankind, and Bret Hart. So when it came time for him to face people like The Undertaker or HBK, you had no doubt in your mind he could take them on. Same goes for the Rock. Although he may not have won all his matches, you at least believed he could beat people like Hulk Hogan, Big Show, Undertaker, and even the unstoppable Brock Lesnar. Nowadays, when you see John Cena vs. Kofi Kingston on paper, you immediately think Kingston does not stand a chance. Why would anyone take him seriously if they can't see him hanging with the big boys?

You want to know why it is hard to take people like Sheamus so seriously. It is because their build ups are based off of squash matches and not believable pin-fall or submission victories. They need credible wins! Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the character of Sheamus, but I think he was pushed way too soon with little credibility. Yeah, he beat Triple H .... once. Shelton Benjamin beat him twice (or was it three times?) and he didn't even get close to the world title. So how the hell does Sheamus have TWO world title reigns under his name? To make matters worse, he barely got any real wins during both of those reigns. It was mostly filled with fluke wins and DQs and you actually expect me to take him seriously when he can't have a decent title run? Please. This is why I did not include 'holding the world championship' as a quality of a proper build up. I am a firm believer that it is not the title that makes the wrestler, it is the wrestler makes the title.

The divas division has become a joke compared to how it used to be. Remember the days when Trish Stratus, Lita, Molly Holly, Chyna, Ivory, Jacqueline, Torrie Wilson, Stacy Keibler, Ashley, Krystal, and Maria were around? I doubt any men went to go take a bathroom break, did ya'll? That is because they were always involved in some kind of shit. Whether it be a feud, a bikini contest, or a love triangle. Nowadays, the divas don't do shit except have subpar matches and play jobbers to LayCool. I fear to think of where the division would be without Beth Phoenix and Natalya.

TNA has the exact same problem. They have a roster FULL of credible wrestlers that can create new stars in an instant. Yet, that is all we ever see on TNA. Aside from everyone in Fortune, I haven't seen TNA build any of their home grown talents into the main event. Everyone in the main event are either wrestlers living off their credibility from the WWE (Jeff Hardy, RVD, Victoria (Tara), Mickie James, Katie Burchill, Dreamer, Kurt Angle, Booker T, Ken Anderson, Elijah Burke/D'Angelo Dinero), the same main eventers they've had since 2004, (Jeff Jarrett, AJ Styles, and Abyss), and OLD school legends (Hogan, Sting, Nash, Hall, Steiner, and Flair). To this day, I still can't believe they dropped the ball with Christopher Daniels who I believe could have been an amazing heel world champion. They also bombed on an opportunity to make Samoa Joe a HUGE threat when they started making him lose to all the newcomers. It also bothers me that they have yet to even give Jay Lethal a shot at the world title. That kid is talented beyond reason and gets over easily with his impersonations. Just imagine how big TNA could be if they used their credible wrestlers to boost up their home-grown talents.

Fortunately, there is hope. In this dark generation of wrestling where hardly any new stars are being made, there are glimmers of light shining from people like Wade Barrett, Nexus, AJ Lee, Naomi Knight, Daniel Bryan, "Dashing" Cody Rhodes, Drew McIntyre, The Motor City Machine Guns, Kaval, Dolph Ziggler, and The Miz. Because despite the lack of proper build ups all of these wrestlers have received, they all managed to use their natural born skills to stand out among the rest and work to make themselves into new stars.

Daniel Bryan, Kaval, and Dolph Ziggler are easily the top three competitors you are guaranteed to get a good match from, no matter who they are facing.
AJ Lee and Naomi Knight put on an amazing match up on November 23rd episode of NXT and it put the entire divas division to shame (easily the best divas match of 2010). I can see them both leading the division alongside Beth Phoenix, LayCool, and Natalya. Before long, maybe we will start to care for them again.
MCMGs are easily the greatest tag team alive today. All you got to do is watch them in one match on iMPACT and you'll be convinced.
Wade Barrett and The Miz are two very unique wrestlers who rose to the top through their promo skills. Can you do that? Yes, you can. The Rock did it and look how famous he is. His wrestling came second to his promos. Believe it or not, it is not always about how good you are in the ring. Promos are a vital part of sports entertainment and Miz and Barrett are two of the best at it today.

Let’s be honest. We can't expect any superstar today to get the exact same build up HBK, Stone Cold, or The Rock got back in their days. They were all fortunate enough to grow up during a time when a plethora of legends and veterans were still alive to make them into stars. These stars do not have that luxury, unfortunately. Most of them have either left wrestling or have died. There are still veterans around that can help make stars like Kurt Angle, Y2J (when he returns), Triple H, Team 3D, and others but they are very few in number. In spite of all that, I truly believe that as long as the listed superstars continue to grow and prosper (including the credible wrestlers from earlier), this generation will grow and help revitalize the sport of wrestling for the better.

============================================

So when I witnessed one of the people I consider a shining light in this dark generation of wrestling win the one of the most prestigious titles today, I felt happy as a wrestling fan. I can see the Miz being a great WWE champion, despite how long it is. I am positive he is going to make the most out of this championship run like he has made the most out of everything else he is involved in. So be sure you fasten your seat belts as we enter this new era. The Era of Awesomeness!

Thanks for reading.

Submit "Wrestling's Achilles Heel: Creating New Superstars" to Digg Submit "Wrestling's Achilles Heel: Creating New Superstars" to del.icio.us Submit "Wrestling's Achilles Heel: Creating New Superstars" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wrestling's Achilles Heel: Creating New Superstars" to Google

Updated 11-27-2010 at 01:32 PM by Frank

Categories
Thoughts and Opinions , User News

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I think the Money in the Bank is a problem, creates a bunch of uncredible champions. Just a bunch of "fluke winners" is what they get put over as.

And the Money in the Bank is about the only way we ever see a young star get pushed to the World Title nowadays.

Kofi Kingston is one person who I am firmly behind right now. I would love to see him in a match at Wrestlemania and win the belt in a shocking moment against someone big, kind of like a Shawn Michaels moment.... the boyhood dream has come true! Unfortunately I can't think of the great of a matchup on Smackdown for him... maybe if Edge would turn heel, or perhaps Alberto Del Rio would be the best option if he could win the title at the Royal Rumble or something.
    I think you are partially right on some things, and on others not.

You just about nailed WWE on the head, THOUGH, Shelton was NEVER a good speaker IMO, BUT neither was Batista.
    Morrison SHOULD be a better talker then he is considering he's been in the WWE for almost 7 years.

As for TNA,
    I think that your 100% wrong about three guys: Kurt Angle, Pope, and Anderson.
    Angle was always great in WWE, I don't remember him having a crappy match, BUT, I think ALOT of his BEST work has come in TNA. I think Angle's two best opponents EVER where: Brock Lesnar and Samoa Joe. Angle has done some AMAZING stuff in TNA. Stealing just about every show he's on. And that IMO isn't living off his title of FORMER WWE CHAMP.
    Anderson and Pope NEVER shined as much as they could have in the WWE. And that's sad because as we have all CLEARLY seen in the past year or so they've been with TNA they BOTH are freaking awesome. NOW GRANTED, I don't think EITHER are ready for TNA champion status, but they are coming close.

BEFORE THE HATE COMES.

In order to be a world champ imo you gotta be able to sell a PPV with ANYBODY, a nobody, a superstar and everybody in between. And to be honest Pope/Anderson match doesn't sound intriguing enough for me to buy the card. BUT THAT'S OK! I think in a little while they both can get there, but when people say Pope or Elijiah Burke I think TNA. When people say Kenneday or Anderson I think (besides former presidents and Matrix) TNA.

ALSO, don't forget Danielson and Kaval are not YOUNG SUPERSTARS. They are NOT rookies, and I don't just mean the fact that they're new to WWE, I mean just in general. Danielson is what? 28 or 29? Kaval I think is already in his 30's? (WAIT PAUSE WIKIPEDIA CHECK)

DANIELSON-29
    Kaval-31

These guys aren't YOUNG. They're not GREEN. These guys know their shit. lol both those guys should've been world champ five years ago. Wrestlemania 21 should've been: Triple H vs. Low-Ki World title JBL vs. Danielson WWE title.

BUT other then that I think your pretty accurate
    Quote Originally Posted by Justdawg08
    I think the Money in the Bank is a problem, creates a bunch of uncredible champions. Just a bunch of "fluke winners" is what they get put over as.

And the Money in the Bank is about the only way we ever see a young star get pushed to the World Title nowadays.

Kofi Kingston is one person who I am firmly behind right now. I would love to see him in a match at Wrestlemania and win the belt in a shocking moment against someone big, kind of like a Shawn Michaels moment.... the boyhood dream has come true! Unfortunately I can't think of the great of a matchup on Smackdown for him... maybe if Edge would turn heel, or perhaps Alberto Del Rio would be the best option if he could win the title at the Royal Rumble or something.
    Glad I'm not the only one who is getting behind Kofi. Ever since he debuted, I've been a big mark of his, because I knew he would become a star one day.
    You want to know why it is hard to take people like Sheamus so seriously. It is because their build ups are based off of squash matches and not believable pin-fall or submission victories.
    The thing is, this is how guys like the Warrior and Goldberg was built. If you noticed their first year you'll see a whole bunch of jobber matches that make up for their wins. The real reason Sheamus isn't taken so seriously is because how he was shown as a champion. Before, he was built as an unstoppable monster. After he was made a coward who was unable to win on his own. I'm sure if he was still the monster he was built to be during that time he would be more credible.
    But see, that kind of stuff works wonders for people like Goldberg, Big Show, Big Zeke, Umaga, and Warrior who have a monstrous presence. They have that look where you believe they can just dominate people. Sheamus does not look all that intimidating, honestly. Well, not at an extinct to where I believe he can dominate almost every single person on the roster. So he'll need something else to make him look dominate. The only thing I can see doing that is him building a record on beating opponents in believable matches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrestling_Deluxe_08
    But see, that kind of stuff works wonders for people like Goldberg, Big Show, Big Zeke, Umaga, and Warrior who have a monstrous presence. They have that look where you believe they can just dominate people.
    It also worked for the Undertaker as a year in the WWE (as the Undertaker) he got a win over Hulk Hogan for the title (because he was undefeated). And considering the gimmick, he wasn't as believable either.

But he was build to be like that and it worked (very well if I must add). In fact, in the 80s to early 90s, wrestlers being built by beating jobbers was how they proved they got over or not. Many worked, others did not.
    I agree with some of the stuff you wrote, like how the up and coming stars of today are not seen as having skill enough to beat a John Cena or HHH. But when I think about it, I didn't think Cena could beat HHH back in the day. But he made him tap... at Wrestlemania!! Cena was pushed along and now people believe that he can't be beat.

I think the only ones having trouble creating new stars is every org not named WWE. WWE has created its own stars from the get go. Now is no different. The other orgs seem to pick up their scraps. When I say the "other orgs", I can really only talk about WCW, ECW, and TNA. The little brother type orgs. WWE is doing no differently than any other time in their history. I don't think the storylines are poor now a days. I think they are entertaining because they brought me back to wrestling after an almost 7 year break from the sport. I had stopped watching wrestling sometime after the WCW buyout and had eventually fallen in love with the UFC. Over the last 3 years, i've grown to love wrestling again because of all the fresh faces that were entertaining.

I think the reason that the ratings have fallen off is because alot of the fans who watched during the attitude era stopped watching. Now WWE has to reach out to a new generation and they are doing that pretty successfully with guys like John Cena and Rey Mysterio getting in parents wallets.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.