View RSS Feed

Darkside Ron Garvin

How to Regain a Loyal Fan - (Pt6) Allow me to tell you who/what I like

Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average.

Yes! Yes! YES! Finally the ‘E Universe’ has listened to something outside the merchandising department, Social Media scores, and the Nielsen ratings. It wasn’t about what was the hot ticket item on sale, nor was it about a guy who fit the “typical” mold of what a cookie cut, made for TV “wrestler” was supposed to look like. Danielson was destined for greatness before he stepped foot into a WWE ring. He has it all except that SIZE in which WWE takes so much pride in. We all knew it. I believe that is why we took exception to the 18 second travesty. Though it might not have been the E’s direct plan, we took offense to the attempted burial of a great athlete to a guy who “fit the mold” in the opening match, kicking off the “Grand Daddy of them ALL!”
We as true fans of the industry stood our ground on this one. We claimed “Yes he is ours” “Yes we think he is great” and “YES, we the fans will stand up to what we dislike!”

As fans, we simply forget that we have the power… {Insert clever He-Man joke here}. We helped boost Austin onto the superstar track by showing up with [Austin 3:16] signs scattered throughout arenas. We chanted “Die, Rocky DIE” until The Rock was born out of contempt for us. However, we as fans are also responsible for the current state in which the ‘E Universe’ remains. We gave up as fans because “they weren’t competing for US anymore.” As great as the Monday Night War was for this industry, it ruined so much of what this industry feeds off of. We, the fans, just gave up our opinions on what was good because “there was nowhere else to turn.”

I call bullshit on this. NWATNA was pushed from a PPV only format to having a National Television deal in less than 3 years. We as fans told the networks, “We want this!” until they finally gave it to us. Philadelphia fans know what I mean because we pushed until ECW got Barely Legal on PPV. We got what we wanted because we were RELENTLESS in our quest. We demanded a higher caliber product than what we were seeing and we would be DAMNED before we accepted anything less.

Pessimists of the IWC, listen up. I could care less about the excuses that the Internet Wrestling Community comes up with as to avoid taking responsibility as a fan… That’s right, as a fan of this industry; you have your own responsibilities. “The ‘E Universe’ doesn’t care what we have to say.” Do you honestly know that? Have you actually attempted to contact WWE offices to tell them your feedback? Have you written a message to Cody Rhodes to tell him that you want him in the main event? (Here’s a link for you lazy ones who can’t Google things yourselves.)
https://secure.wwe.com/forms/help/superstar.php
If so, did you do it professionally?
Most business owners wouldn’t open emails entitled “John Cena SUCKS!” nor would their employees respond to hate mail filled with profanity and distasteful suggestions on how a specific character can sodomize themselves. The logical answers for these questions are that the furthest your attempts to make the E Universe aware of your contempt for their product is by going on a website and taking shots in a forum. On occasion, attending a live event and booing John Cena while he wrestles. No cleaver signs with direct (while remaining tasteful) comments of what you want… Or better yet, who you want.

#DeanAmbrose is something I see frequently on Raw and SmackDown! I love it. Fans showing respect, yet still telling what and who they want to see is awesome to witness. Fans making those casual viewers aware of someone they are possible clueless to is what we as fans should be doing. I thank these fans for bringing awareness to the point that he is making his way to the main roster soon. Chants! Catchy, simple to follow chants can work to show the ‘E Universe’ our opinions on a character. Even if I am not a fan of his work, “We want Ry-Der! Woo… Woo… Woo!” gave the guy enough notoriety to be established on the main roster. I recall a SmackDown! event in Abilene, TX (2009) I attended in which I started the chant “Mis-ter Zig-gles” that echoed inside the building, bouncing from fan to fan until it became a roar of unified sound waves. Of course people walked away remembering that they saw Edge, Chris Jericho, and Rey Misterio… but they also remember that chant that rang out among the 2 to 4 thousand in attendance. That is how we told the ‘E Universe’ what we wanted to see. How have you done it?

No, we can’t control angles and storylines. No we can’t tell them directly how to book a show. Yes we can tell them what we like. Yes we can make them aware of whom we want to see. Yes we can turn a 2 star match between CM Punk and Mark Henry into an easy 3 star match, simply by being vocal and in unison when Punk strikes Henry. Our power is that these wrestlers want and NEED these reactions. They dubbed it “Being over with the crowd” for a reason people. They might be employed by the ‘E Universe’, TNA, Ring of Honor, DragonGate, EVOLVE, CZW, or others… But these athletes are working for us.

As always, feel free to comment and I will reply as I can. Have a different opinion? Make your valid points as I always enjoy hearing them. If you feel like you’ve missed the direction of this blog, check out the previous blog archives and catch up a bit on where my opinions are based from(this will also help you understand why I choose the word “loyal”) and what the goal of this series truly is; How to regain loyal fans.

Submit "How to Regain a Loyal Fan - (Pt6) Allow me to tell you who/what I like" to Digg Submit "How to Regain a Loyal Fan - (Pt6) Allow me to tell you who/what I like" to del.icio.us Submit "How to Regain a Loyal Fan - (Pt6) Allow me to tell you who/what I like" to StumbleUpon Submit "How to Regain a Loyal Fan - (Pt6) Allow me to tell you who/what I like" to Google

Comments

Thanks for the link. I emailed Cody Rhodes! Lol.
    I think you're really looking a little too much into the Daniel Bryan thing. i think you should prepare yourself for the fact that he is going to lose to Punk, and you won't see him in the title picture again...
    Quote Originally Posted by DK Wrestling Savior
    I think you're really looking a little too much into the Daniel Bryan thing. i think you should prepare yourself for the fact that he is going to lose to Punk, and you won't see him in the title picture again...
    You seem very sure that you are correct lol, I have a feeling that's not going to happen...
    DK Wrestling Savior
    Honestly, it doesn't matter if Bryan wins or loses at this point. The "YES!" chants speak volumes to how appreciated his character is now. He was taken in and embraced by the E Universe after we witnessed his downfall at WM. At this point in his career, he doesn't need the E Title to be recognized by the E Universe as being the great talent he is. This is where the topic of this specific blog was going towards. "The power that fans have" not that Danielson should be the E Champ. I'm sorry if I didn't explain that in full, but I will do so now.

Fans are powerful enough to change the wrestling business, regardless of what the IWC tells them otherwise.
    True the problem with today is instead of voicing our opinions we simply change the channel

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.