View RSS Feed

bearkg88

WBC Series #4: WWE's Main Event Scene

Rate this Entry

What is up everybody! Time for another edition of the main WBC series. Last week, The Piper usurped the champ, Broc, and is now the reigning champ. Can he hold on to the title? We will see. His challenger, is a regular blogger on this site, none other than DK Wrestling Savior! This will definitely be a great match up. This weeks topic, WWE's Main Event Scene. Up first, the champ, The Piper!

The Piper

Still in WBC! I'd like to thank Bearkg for giving me another match for the WBC title, and of course, everybody who voted for me last time. Lets just get into it.

Who do you feel is currently in the main event scene for the WWE?
I belive a main eventer is anybody who fights main eventers, gives main-event quality matches, and looks like a main eventer. Mark Henry has been jumping from title matches to rivalries for 1 year now, but I still concider him a main eventer. Kane has never been in a title match, or a number one contenders match, but I concider him a main eventer because his two feuds since his return have been the two biggest main-eventers in the company, John Cena and Randy Orton, so he is a main eventer. I still cannot concider Lord Tensai a main eventer because all he does is give lackluster matches and beat people in handicapped matches.

Who do you think is most deserving to be in the main event scene?
As soon as I heard this question, the first word that came to my mind is "Miz". IMO, the Miz had the most interesting Title reign in the past two years, and then he starts getting blamed for rediculous things, becomes a jobber, but then wins at Wrestlemania, only to lose to Santino the following month. Another person that comes to mind is Dolph Ziggler, Dolph was on the fast track to becoming a champion, with world title matches at two Royal Rumble pay-per-views in a row, it looked as if Dolph was a for sure champion, but then, just like Miz, Dolph's career slips down the ladder into the enormous arms of Brodus Clay. Of course, though, Drew Mcintyre has always been a favorite for main-event status, but even with the "Chosen One" title, and some amazing matches under his belt, WWE can't open their eyes and smell the glory that is Drew Mcintyre. Drew has the potential to be "The Man" or "The Face" of the WWE, but creative cannot capitalize for idiotic reasons.

Who do you think is the least deserving to be there?
I would say that Lord Tensai is not deserving to be in the main event, but give it about two months (give or take) and he'll be jobbing to Kofi and Santino in the mid-card. CM Punk does not fit the mold of a main-eventer, but he has proven himself as the main eventer. So, we travel to the land of Smackdown to find Alberto Del Rio, who's push was faster than his title reigns. I'm not saying Del Rio is bad, or not deservant of the main event, I'm just saying that he needed more time to get into the main event. Other than Tensai, the main event looks pretty solid right now, so Del Rio is the only one I can find (besides a huge tangent about how bad Orton is) to complain about.

Do you think the fact in the last 3 PPV's, there has been some other match that has main event the PPV, and not either the WWE or WHC Championship matches hurts the titles or do you think it doesn't really matter?
I personaly don't think it matters, these matches that have replaced the titles in the main event have been "company changing", they "defined the landscape" or "changed careers", so it the titles aren't the main event, it should only be because something more groundbreaking is. At Wrestlemania, nobody wanted the World Heavyweight Title match to be the main event, and who could blame them? The WWE championship match was loads better than the main event, but the main event stirs up publicity and has been hyped up for a year, so it should have been, and was, the main event. And even besides that, the titles have been hurt enough for other reasons for it not to really matter.

Who do you feel is on the verge of breaking into the main event scene?
Tough question, the main event is quite separated from the mid-card at the moment, so nobody is really at the verge of getting in the main event, except maybe Cody Rhodes. Rhodes has been switching from main-eventer to mid-carder for a few months, and maybe, in time, he will get a World Title match while he is Intercontinental champion, making him a pure-bread main eventer. But, in the meantime, Cody, just like everybody else, is safe and secure in their own division/status.

Any other thoughts you might like to add
Although the main event matches without titles do make sence in the past cases, WWE needs to cut back, and cut back immensely. Nobody is looking foreward to John vs. Johnny over Punk vs. Bryan at Over The Limit, so maybe booking John vs. an actual wrestler as the match before the WWE title match would suffice. Other than that, the only concerns I have is WWE dropping the ball on legitamate talent like Drew Mcintyre and Dolph Ziggler after a few months, but keeping guys like Cena and Orton in the main event for over 5 years. Things like that are the things that make the fans get bored of the main-event scene.

Again, thanks for reading, hope to hold my title past one defence this time!

Great blog the Piper! Now, it is time for the challenger, DK!

DK Wrestling Savior

Hey...if this is too long, let me know and I'll trim it.

Hey Everyone. Before I get started, I would like to say that it is an honor to be a part of this great blog series. I thank Bearkg88 for inviting me and I will do my best.

The topic of the WWE main event scene is really sketchy.It’s hard to firmly judge the direction the company is going because of the all the stars of yesterday they keep bringing back. So do we judge the main event by the titles? Do we judge it by who the last match of a PPV is? It’s a windy road so let’s see how we can best navigate it.

Who do you feelis currently in the main event scene for the WWE?
For the sake of skipping the obvious, I’m going to leave the two champs out of this. I’m also going to skip Cena and Lesnar for the same reasons, though I will state that I feel Cena will probably be taking somewhatof a hiatus soon. That would explain the matches with specialized opponents. So the main event picture looks like this. Daniel Bryan in what I feel is his lasthurrah in the title story. After his program with Punk is over, I don’t see him sticking around among the top tier. It is unfortunate, but I think it’s inevitable. Alberto Del Rio, who the WWE just loves for some unknown reason. This fatal four way coming up is probably a way to weasel him in as champ. Chris Jericho for the remainder of his stay, whenever that will be. I can’t imagine much longer. And now it looks as though they’re introducing Randy Orton back into the mix which can be good thing.

Who do you think is most deserving to bein the main event scene?
Now that we’ve seen who’s actually IN, the main event.Let’s talk about who deserves to be there. John Cena’s the face of the company and the number one draw, so we can’t discount him, no matter how much we want to. Randy Orton has reached a point now where his feuds with Barrett and Kane have earned him a spot back in the title picture. He’s taken his break and now, it’s time to revive that. Daniel Bryan, while has no cred and it sort of in the same boat as Jericho…*read below*…I do think he’s in the right spot feuding with CM Punk. I only fear that, with CM Punk on the run he’s on, if Daniel Bryan loses here, where does he go? Sheamus is the World Champ and deservingly so. I don’t like the fatal fourway stipulation for Over the Limit. I think it waters down and already watered down World title.

Who do you think is the least deservingto be there?
The least deserving is very easy for me. First, Chris Jericho. I don’t know where it all went wrong but this return has been brutal.And I’m a big advocator on legitimacy and credit. And even though I know wrestling’s scripted, his losses to CM Punk left him with 0 cred in my book. He can’t say anything that would be legit in any fashion, because he tapped out atWM, and lost the street fight at Extreme Rules. Next is Brock Lesnar. Face it. He’s only here for a year, giving him the title or keeping him at the top of every card I think is a major disservice to those who are here for the long haul…as Cena would put it. I don’t see the point in his return. It’s not like they needed him. Now he’s overshadowing the guys who should be main eventing. Finally, Alberto Del Riooooo. I wish this guy would just go home. He sucks all around. He’s proven to be horrible in the spot light before his injury. Then after 4 months of absence in 2012, he shows up after WM and is already in the title picture. Not sure why. Alberto needs to fall back a bit. Ehhhh, more than a bit.

Do you think the fact in the last 3PPV's, there has been some other match that has main event the PPV, and noteither the WWE or WHC Championship matches hurts the titles or do you think itdoesn't really matter?
I seriously think that the special attraction matchesovershadowing the titles is bad. Being Champ used to mean something. Now, it seems to only mean something if you were champ 10 years ago. I like the long title runs, as we don’t see them too much these days. But it’s really all for not if you’re going to have CM Punk and Jericho take a back seat at Extreme Rules to Brock and Cena. I can understand WM. It’s The Rock. And his home town.I wouldn’t do it again though. The thing is, these titles are gonna be here. the stars from 2000 and 2001 aren’t. And eventually, it’s going to catch up because they’re not creating anyone anymore. What happens ten years from now? Do they bring John Cena back to fight whoever the big star is at the time? I know it’s great now, but unless WWE plans on shutting down in 5 years and calling it an empire, they do need to focus on today, and let yesterday go.

Who do you feel is on the verge ofbreaking into the main event scene?
This is difficult because of the trend the WWE is on, but it goes back to my point on who deserves to be there. Cody Rhodes I think is on the brink. He’s ready to splash. I’m actually surprised he’s not in the fatal four way match for the World Title. Maybe they’re building him up for SummerSlam. I also think Dolph Ziggler is getting there. He might not be exactly “on the verge”, but he’s making his way. He just needs to prove that he can stand on his own. I fear a face turn for him because he might become another John Morrison. Be that guy who wins the mid card matches but just falls short when he gets his shot, and never gets into a real feud with the top guys. However, being buried under Vickie is taking away from him. So if he can stand on his own two feet, I think he can work himself in there by year’s end. It’s gotta happen soon though. I wonder how many jaws dropped on that statement. Sadly, there’s not too many others. But that’s another argument all together.

And then finally any other thoughts youmight like to add.
The main event can mean many things. The WWE obviously has to do what they can to maximize the money they make, and bringing back guys like jericho and Brock Lesnar, proves that the confidence level in today’s stars isn’t very high. They have only themselves to blame on the creative end. They didn’t put the effort into building new guys. I think back to the Cena/Punk feud. Cena and McMahon are arguing and McMahon stated he’ll create another superstar, yada yada. I don’t think that statement is true anymore. Idon’t think the capability is there anymore. They been in cruise control for far too long now and what we see is the result of that. I fear that with this trend, by the time guys like Wade Barrett, Kofi Kingston, Ziggler and Rhodes are champs, it’ll be meaningless.

Thanks for reading everyone. Be Safe.

A great blog from DK as well. This should definitely be a close match up! Now it is up to you the reader. Make sure to vote for which blog you agree with more, thought was written better, made the better point! Also, if you are interested in taking part in a future WBC Series or WBC Top 5, shoot me a PM and we can set something up!

Submit "WBC Series #4: WWE's Main Event Scene" to Digg Submit "WBC Series #4: WWE's Main Event Scene" to del.icio.us Submit "WBC Series #4: WWE's Main Event Scene" to StumbleUpon Submit "WBC Series #4: WWE's Main Event Scene" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

DX is just to opinionated...gotta love him for that lol, he gets my vote
    Damn good read...

DK - you had me up until you said this...

Cena and McMahon are arguing and McMahon stated he’ll create another superstar, yada yada. I don’t think that statement is true anymore. I don’t think the capability is there anymore. They been in cruise control for far too long now and what we see is the result of that. I fear that with this trend, by the time guys like Wade Barrett, Kofi Kingston, Ziggler and Rhodes are champs, it’ll be meaningless.
    I don't think that the capability is gone to create stars, nor do I think it will be meaningless when these guys get their shots. In my opinion, I think that when these guys FINALLY get their turn, it will make it that much more meaningful knowing that we have sat on pins and needles waiting for their chance to be there. As bad as things are now, the one thing the E has done well is protect their 'E Championship' from being decimated to the point of being meaningless. Now if we consider the WHC, that's another argument but the fact remains that the E Belt is protected to the degree that it can never be meaningless. I am not sure if that's the direction you were going with by this statement, but that's where it left me at.

All in all, both of you guys have EXCELLENT points of view on this.

Vote goes to Piper for the duke...

By the way - Shane Helms made a statement.... "So both you guys left Christian outta this blog... What's up with that?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkside Ron Garvin
    By the way - Shane Helms made a statement.... "So both you guys left Christian outta this blog... What's up with that?"
    To that, I say Christian's overrated. I know I'm going to catch heat for that, but it's true. It's damn true.

Anyway, both of these blogs were awesome. This is a very hard decision, but I think I'm going to have to go with Piper for this one. I think I can see his distaste for Randy Orton coming through, and that's what tipped the scale in his favor for me. Also, no matter who wins, I hope you're ready for when my name comes back up. Losing on a stupid Divas blog (no offense Bear) was kind of lame, so just know that I'll be back for my title soon. This isn't over.

Good work from both. Take care guys.
    Piper gets my vote. Good job.
    To that, I say Christian's overrated. I know I'm going to catch heat for that, but it's true. It's damn true.
    You might think he's overrated but the man is part of the Main event landscape, regardless of opinions otherwise. Just sayin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkside Ron Garvin
    You might think he's overrated but the man is part of the Main event landscape, regardless of opinions otherwise. Just sayin.
    The question was, "current" main event scene...which Christian is not in. He hasn't been around for months.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.