View RSS Feed

TheLegendaryIcon

"The Man" of The Future

Rate this Entry
John Cena, born April 23, 1977 can't stay the face of the WWE forever and the time is coming for the torch to be passed. The question is of course, who will become the face of the WWE after Cena? Who are even the list of candidates? For the sake of realism and even brevity I will only be including guys currently on the WWE roster or higher profile on the FCW roster who are at least 5 years younger than John Cena. Though this won't just be a look at the future face of the company, but perhaps of the future of the company in general.

Hulk Hogan, Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Steve Austin, The Rock, Triple H

John Cena's Stats - 6'1, 251lbs

Shawn Michaels: 6'1, 225lbs (Smallest)
Bret Hart: 6'1, 234lbs
Stone Cold: 6'2, 252lbs
Triple H: 6'4, 255lbs
The Rock: 6'5, 260lbs
Hulk Hogan: 6'7, 302lbs (Largest)
* Denotes Vince's hand picked guys AKA "The Man"

Note: Swapped Bret Hart for Undertaker as it turns out Taker was supposedly more of a "fluke" than having been hand picked.

Range: 6'1-6'10, 225lbs-302lbs
Averages: 6'3, 254lbs
(Closest to Average: Stone Cold & Triple H)

Damien Sandow (August 3, 1982 - 6'4, 243lbs)
Sandow simply put, doesn't have the look or the gimmick to become the face of the company. Though he definitely ALMOST has the build which can make him a candidate. Looking back at his work in FCW however, he's a hell of a heel and quite merciless in-ring. In addition, he's juuust over 5 years younger than Cena which all makes him physicality aside, out of the running. Though major kudos to him with his heel promos.

Ted Dibiase (November 8, 1982 - 6'3, 214lbs)
Currently out with an ankle injury, Dibiase is "Meh." Seriously, people want to like him but his in-ring and gimmick are boring as watching a Ryback match with Heath Slater. He has the look, but would need to bulk up another 40lbs or so before he's in the range of the other guys. Of course, the boring in-ring may not effect him as much... just look at Cena.

Derrick Bateman (March 18, 1983 - 6'2, 222lbs)
This guy suffers from the same problem that DiBiase does. He's very generic and forgettable. His promos like the one the other night remind me of Cena's promos before he found at least a bit of dark place again. It's just all around "Meh," at least from what I've seen.

Heath Slater (July 15, 1983 - 6'2, 216lbs)
Read the above about his match with Ryback? Nobody takes the McDonalds kid here seriously and won't so long as he's simply squash fodder. The future I see at this point for Heath Slater looks less like Cena and more like Slam Master J. Though who knows? Maybe someday a few years from now he'll end up the new Shawn Michaels... Dear god ROTFL, I can't believe I just said that either.

Curt Hawkins (April 20, 1985 - 6'2, 223lbs)
Hawkins hasn't really done anything since he was teaming with Rack Ryder as Edge's flunkies except find another tag team with Tyler Reks. The guy reminds me too much of Paul Burchill now. His mic work is also pretty much non-existant.

Zack Ryder (May 14, 1985 - 6'2, 214lbs)
Ryder has juuust eeked his way into stardom by being, essentially, an internet buffoon and making his hair his gimmick. He can only go as far as the people can bring him, but then that seems to have worked for The People's Champion/The Most Electrifying Man In Sports Entertainment. Though physically this kid is about on the same level as Shawn Michaels and doesn't seem to have nearly the same heart.

Drew McIntyre (June 6, 1985 - 6'5, 254lbs)
Brought into the company as Vinnie Mac's "Chosen One" as a vicious heel, McIntyre pretty much burned out after his first few months and a feud with Teddy Long. Other than that, he seems to have all the qualifications, but can he play well as a face? The answer to that question is doubtful as they made him a pseudo-face recently and he clearly does better work as a heel.

Cody Rhodes (June 30, 1985 - 6'1, 215lbs)
This is the guy most would predict becoming the "new Cena". He's got the lineage, the gimmick, the in-ring talent, and even the heart. But look at his stats. Rhodes has the same problem that Ryder has in being very much physically like Shawn Michaels. Unless Rhodes were to bulk up, he would miss being pushed as a Cena replacement and perhaps find his fame much in the same underdog spirit of HBK. In fact, his physical stats at present are lower than HBK's!

Dean Ambrose (December 7, 1985 - 6'4, 225lbs)
This guy is great in the ring and almost has the physical stats to pull it off. There are two problems here however... Jon Moxley is a sick man and he's currently in FCW. Though the latter isn't a real problem, the former makes him a candidate to be an anti-hero unless completely repackaged. Though this guy is awesome, his promos, look, and in-ring remind me of a younger CM Punk. While I don't forsee Ambrose being "the man", I see him becoming our next great anti-hero.

At least 10 years younger than Cena...

Trent Barreta (March 30, 1987 - 6'1, 203)
When you look at Barreta, you have to wonder why he hasn't been released. The answer is that he's a young guy and his in-ring is great. Don't believe me? Find a match of his that isn't a squash match. If nothing else when I watch his match, it's like watching that young Jeff Hardy that hasn't discovered TLC yet.

Bray Wyatt
/ Husky Harris (May 23, 1987 - 6'3, 300lbs)
NXT did a number on his gimmick, just as it did with Ryback. If he can overcome that speedbump, Bray could be a decent competitor later on as since returning to FCW his ring work and gimmick have gotten better. Though given his physique, he'll never be "the man".

Richie Steamboat (July 7, 1987 - 6'2, 220lbs)
Richie Steamboat is shaping up to be everything you'd expect from a future friendly rival to Cody Rhodes. While that might not seem like a huge compliment, it is gigantic and I believe either he or Steamboat will become "the man" down the road. He's got the lineage, the skill, the look, and physique with just a bit more effort to become "the man."

Submit ""The Man" of The Future" to Digg Submit ""The Man" of The Future" to del.icio.us Submit ""The Man" of The Future" to StumbleUpon Submit ""The Man" of The Future" to Google

Updated 05-12-2012 at 06:00 PM by TheLegendaryIcon

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    What a fabulous blog. In a perfect world, Dibiase would be the next guy. He's my favorite. I also really really really like Husky Harris & Dean Ambrose. Heath Slater is also my boy.

Also just to throw this out there, Darren Young and Titus O'Neil has to be the worst tag team ever and the biggest ripoff of Cryme Tyme ever. PLEASE BRING SHAD BACK AND BRING CRYME TYME BACK ON THE SCENE
    BTW, you should continue blogging, I really enjoyed this man, very refreshing bro.
    What a fabulous blog! Stupendous! Magnificent! Knox is just a fucking ass kisser trying to get that cyber butthole.
    i disagree about curt hawkins mic skills being non-existant the only difference between hawkins & ryder is hawkins got send back to fcw and his youtube show didn't get retweeted by stars lik the miz etc. his midcard mafia got canned while it was quite entertaining everything hawkins did got pulled away curt hawkins is very talented he's just stuck in the tag team scene he and ryder should have feuded singles oh well at least we got to see that entertaining match at last superstars
    To be fair to Hawkins, I have enjoyed his work on Superstars quite a bit. I have little recollection of him on the mic or cutting a promo at any point aside from little backstage vignettes that lead to nowhere. I would say that Hawkins is probably the best guy in either of the tag teams he's been in.

It seems like WWE has this obsession with pushing one known tag team member over the other. I knew the midcard mafia existed and got canned by the 'E. So now I'm thinking that Hawkins is getting Christian-ed or Matt Hardy-ed while they push Ryder, only because he can sell merch to kids who think he's "cool" and falls more-so into the PG show expectations. It's just sad because Hawkins' in-ring beats the absolute crap at times out of anything I've seen Ryder do.
    Quote Originally Posted by filamentalfart2
    What a fabulous blog! Stupendous! Magnificent! Knox is just a fucking ass kisser trying to get that cyber butthole.
    Thanks, hope that makes you feel better.
    Cody Rhodes , Dolph Ziggler { who you didn't mention } and Heath Slater have alot of potential in WWE . I can see these men main eventing in the not so near future
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.