View RSS Feed

AStarIsBorn

Blast from the Past: The Invasion Angle

Rate this Entry
Hey guys, coming back with my second blog here. I was sitting here trying to figure out what I could write about and I thought I would review the angle that was going on when I became a fan of wrestling.

The Invasion angle could have been the biggest and baddest storyline that wrestling could have ever seen. Wrestling fans experienced the Monday Night Wars for years and always sat and wondered, "What would it be like seeing these companies go head to head?" Looking back now, I would have been the exact same way! We could have seen Triple H and Stone Cold against Sting and Kevin Nash or Harlam Heat vs the Brothers of Destruction.

The angle started out big with Shane purchasing WCW out from under Vinny Mac and Stephanie bought ECW and paired up with devilish Paul Heyman. The wrestling world was completely marking out at the possibilities that we had. Unfortunately, the names that we wanted to see were not apart of this angle at all. Ric Flair and Sting werent there. The NWO stayed away until after the angle. WWE was missing Benoit, Guerrero, and Triple H. Don't get me wrong, WCW and ECW brought some awesome talent to the scene like Booker T, Lance Storm, RVD, and more, but we didnt get to see the matchups that we were all dying to see.

Invasion was the first PPV i ever saw as a wrestling fan. I thought it was an absolutely awesome show, but looking back, it was weak. RVD and Jeff Hardy and the 10 man tag were the highlights of the show. I remember being so excited when Austin's music hit and the crowd errupted. Then Austin shocked the WWE by turning on his partners and defecting to the Alliance which i understand gave them the star power that they were lacking at the time.

For the remaining time of the angle, it was the same bullshit over and over. Raw and Smackdown was all about who was going to defect tonight and matches between WWE's midcard and WCW/ECW's midcard. The Rock returned from Hollywood to win the WCW Championship from Booker t at Summerslam. Kurt Angle brought the WWE title back home in a great match in his hometown at Unforgiven against Austin, but shocked the WWE just a big after by defecting to the Alliance. Little things like that just doesn't make sense looking back. Why have him turn on WWE and then a month or two later he turns on WCW at Survivor Series allowing WWE to be the running production, which was the end of the angle. Starting the same way it ended, although this 10 man tag was an elimination.

As interesting as the angle was at the time as an 11 year old kid, I could see the disappointment people had with the angle. All of WCW's big dogs came in after the angle was finished while WWE regained a lot of their star power after the angle as well. I suppose the wrestling world could handle all of the world's top wrestlers being in the spotlight at once!

Thanks for reading guys, let me know what you think!

Submit "Blast from the Past: The Invasion Angle" to Digg Submit "Blast from the Past: The Invasion Angle" to del.icio.us Submit "Blast from the Past: The Invasion Angle" to StumbleUpon Submit "Blast from the Past: The Invasion Angle" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Yeah I always thought it would have been epic if Vince would have swallowed his ego and kept WCW Nitro, Thunder and all their ppvs alive with Shame running the separate shows.

And have Heyman follow suit with ECW.

They could have had angles with other companies stars appearing at rival shows.

Then at wrestlemania have a joint card with WWE, WCW and ECW stars.

I don't think Vince will ever have another opportunity to pull off something like this. They wasted it.

But nope, Vince dissected, jobbed, humiliated and put the WWE guys over. Like putting WCW and ECW wasn't enough.
    Updated 05-12-2012 at 01:29 AM by Playboy Stevie V
    Coincidence that i talked about this in WBC...but yh completely agree with you, good blog
    Good blog. I believe they should have kept the buying of WCW a secret for longer and when the stars from each show started appearing on the other show it would have given it more of an invasion feel.
    Great read. I always thought the Invasion angle was doomed once it was announced that Shane and Stephanie Mcmahon were the owners of The Alliance (WCW and ECW). At the end of the day, this was more about Vince vs his kids than an actual invasion of WCW and ECW. That's pretty much why it was considered a flop of an angle. I'll admit, as a mark for the shows, I loved the Invasion angle but looking back at the shows, it was a disappointment for sure.

If WWE would have just waited until 2002 once they had Triple H, Ric Flair, Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit, and the NWO to start the Invasion angle, than the Invasion angle would have been big but since they didn'thave those guys, all we got was a watered down WCW/ECW vs WWE storyline which had WWE dominating for the most part.
    I Loved The Invasion Angle, But I Think They Could've Done It Better. Vince Should've Kept Nitro & Thunder Runing, And Kept The PPV. He Would've Double His Money. They Could've Kept Some Of The Wcw Stars And Have Them Compete With The One's He Did Keeep Against WWE, It would've Been Better As Well If Triplel H, Chris Benoit & Others Didn't Get Injured When They Did.
    I think your Blog was very short and didn't really cover much of the angle but your complaints are very valid but what alot of people don't know is that it wasn't The WWE's fault. I'm not saying The WWE wouldn't mess it up anyway but The WWE purchased WCW under very short notice and they already had alot of storylines in progress. Also The WWE's plan was to Run Nitro and WCW as a totally separate company but the problem is The contract WWE signed with USA network says that WWE can not put other New WWE programing on a different network, So they could not put there WCW programing on a different cable network cause WWE programing was exclusive to USA and all their sister networks and USA/NBC was not interested in putting another prime time wrestling show... Then the Next plan was to change Smackdown to Nitro and pretend WCW bought WCWs time sloth on UPN or what ever network they were on but UPN said that the WWE signed a contract to put WWE programing on their network and they didn't approve the brand change and they were worried about not having key names on their show such as Steve Austin, The Rock, Undertaker and Kane..... So it was impossible for WWE to go thru with the Original plans of making WCW its own separate brand and running WCW House shows and TV shows.

Now on the talent... at the time in 2001, WCWs talent were well past their prime and WCW booking destroyed their impact. Guys like Hogan who was good for a few nostalgic matches and moments, Flair who was in terrible shape and wouldn't be much of a in ring player against guys like Taker, Rock, HHH and Austin.... Plus most of WCW had huge guaranteed contracts, So Guys like Nash, Hogan, Goldberg, Sting were getting 3 to 5 million dollars a year to sit at home and do nothing. So why would they come to WWE and work 200 days a year for half of that money?..... Guys like Flair and Mysterio were also getting half a million or a million a year to sit at home so WWE didnt think it was worth buying their contracts considering WCW talent worked alot less dates then WWE, So additional dates would have to be negotiated.

So the Reason the WCW invasion Angle didn't work is cause of many factors that were out of the WWE's hands.... WWE didnt plan on buying WCW it kinda fell in their lap and they were in the middle of many huge storylines, Wrestlemania 17, Austin vs Rock, Austins heel turn, HHH and Austins teaming and eventual feud. So when HHH got injured they pulled the trigger on the half ass invasion Angle.
    Updated 05-12-2012 at 02:11 PM by THE_CRIPPLER
    Thanks for taking my title!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.