View RSS Feed

alcrissam

What does the WWE want from Hulk Hogan?

Rating: 4 votes, 2.00 average.
I'm looking down at my phone and then i hear something come out of my TV during Raw. I go to my brother and simply say:

"What the fuck? Did i just hear Hulk Hogan come out of his mouth?"

At this point, i was likely to say that WWE just bought TNA and was allowed to mention their wrestlers by name. I knew that was stupid it was just a joke. But with all seriousness, what does WWE want from the Hulkster?! This is the third time i can remember off of the top of my head that he has been mentioned in some way, shape, or form on WWE programming. Let's describe all of the accounts where Hulk Hogan was mentioned in WWE.

1) When the three stooges were on Raw.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K85vLxFKNN0
If you weren't already traumatized and deprived of our precious wrestling, please go watch this garbage. On a side note, this video shows one thing: WHEN THE IWC SPEAKS, ONLY THE IWC LISTENS. Basically, we don't want celebrities, and they throw Will Sasso and the three stooges into our show. What the fuck WWE? The IWC is pretty smart and they are doing your jobs for you! Just listen to us! Who am i kidding, we are just computer screens to them. Anyways back to the point. Real American hits and Sasso comes out doing a Hogan impression. He didn't say Hulk by name so there was no clear sign of a law suit or legal trouble. But to say the least, we were all confused.

2) John Laurinatis calls himself the "Hulk Hogan of Japan."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl9XG2LTtfE
When John Laurinatis came out and kicked the crap out of John Cena, I was honestly surprised. I was expecting an Eric Bishoff where he looks horribly stiff and unathletic and then the wrestlers do backflips like he got destroyed. But this time Johnny Ace looked like he was doing a routine wrestling ambush. Anyways, he gives this speech next week and calls himself the Hulk Hogan, Steve Austin, and The Rock of Japanese wrestling. Im starting to get suspicious because the Hulkster twice?

And then I read this:

3) Hulk Hogan gets his own video on wwe.com
http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/5...hogan-wwe-more
The article on this site talks about the video in the third bullet point. When i read it, i made the decision to refuse to watch it. Why? Because these references aren't supposed to happen. THREE TIMES THE HULKSTER! They are promoting a man who isn't even under contract with them! This whole situation has my mind going insane, but i have a couple of theories as to why Hulk Hogan has been on the WWE for a random reason.

Theory 1: WWE Wants Something From Hogan
From an article written on this site describing the New York Post's interview with Hulk Hogan, he says this about WWE:
"I remember the last time this build-up happened. Vince McMahon had Shawn Michaels dress up as Hulk Hogan with a walker and say ‘You're getting old brother.' Then we came with the NWO idea and I feel the same thing now. (WWE) is banging me on TV again, having The Three Stooges dressing up as me, showing footage of Brock Lesnar beating me last week. They're worried about something."
This isn't entirely my theory, but maybe WWE is worried. The only reason i have this up here is because it is Hogan's own words.

Theory 2: The Ric Flair HOF Deal???
Could this be?! Maybe these references to a TNA talent is because they let WWE use his name and previous gimmick? If this is true, so is another thing: TNA's management is absolutely retarded. Its almost like they said "Wait one legend isn't enough, show off Hulk Hogan a couple of times to promote our show indirectly and then you can have him." Possibly they are trying to promote Hogan in an attempt to promote TNA indirectly because he is the "general manager"? Who knows, this is all stupid anyways.

Theory 3: WWE is Attempting to steal another past star.
The only reason this is a possibility is because the returns of The Rock and Lesnar and Johnny Ace is getting in the ring and the consistently annoying rumors of Stone Cold Steve Austin vs CM Punk are becoming the only interesting stories WWE has to offer. They have no confidence in their young guns. They keep relying on legends and past names to boost themselves. And besides Lesnar's loss at Extreme Rules, the returning legends aren't putting over talent. And if anyone is bad at letting the new guys go over, its definitely the Hulkster.

Unfortunate for us, the IWC must guess and blog about all of the WWE's deepest darkest secrets. And this is one of them. Vince approves every show, so obviously he approves this. We just need to wait and pay attention to the news that will hopefully clear this up. But after seeing all of the signs and reading this, you have to ask yourself: What does the WWE want from Hulk Hogan?

Thanks for Reading guys, comments and personal thoughts always welcome !

Submit "What does the WWE want from Hulk Hogan?" to Digg Submit "What does the WWE want from Hulk Hogan?" to del.icio.us Submit "What does the WWE want from Hulk Hogan?" to StumbleUpon Submit "What does the WWE want from Hulk Hogan?" to Google

Updated 05-11-2012 at 06:21 PM by alcrissam

Categories
Thoughts and Opinions

Comments

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    "And if anyone is bad at letting the new guys go over, its definitely the Hulkster." This is so typically ignorant and incorrect man. First run maybe, but he was still new, supposed to be the best, still did sometimes, and must of been doing something right seeing how much he extremely elevated wrestling. Not the issue though as we're talking older. He put over so many people during his 2nd run it's amazing, more than expected from someone of his status, as one of the biggest he should win alot but even so but he put over a ton of guys and was always losing. These people just don't like Hogan.

Btw they also mentioned him during the VKM-Cena bit where he said something like "I'll just walk onto another persons show and keep doing what i love...brother". Although mainly TNA reference. Plus they show him in video packages alot but that (and others may) likely be due to all the history with the company.
    Updated 05-11-2012 at 01:58 AM by Mattdatm
    He's a WWE legend! They own him and can mention him whenever they want. Or goof on him when they want.
    I'm sure there's no secret agenda going on. Mentioning him merely bridges generational gap with the audience.
    imo
    Maybe, just maybe, this is being done to give a little boost to TNA as part of a deal. This wouldn't be the first time, as Vince used to promote ECW and allow WWE guys to go compete there.

Bottom line, TNA is NOT competition for WWE so Vince isn't going to hurt at all from giving them a little boost by mentioning their stars. RVD is wrestling for the TNA title Sunday, and WWE puts his profile on the main page of WWE.com.

If this is what's going on, it's a win/win. TNA possibly gets some more viewers, and Vince looks golden for helping them. Not to mention WWE helping another company to get more revenue looks good in Linda's senate race.
    Great blog. Enjoyed reading!
    Hulk Hogan is the biggest crossover star the WWE has ever had, period. Yeah Stone Cold was overall bigger but Stone Cold didn't last as long as Hogan did, nor did Stone Cold have mass appeal. The Rock is quite crossover with his big fancy movies, but he's not as classic as Hogan is.

He is in the top 5 in terms of biggest wrestlers ever in all of American wrestling. WWE owns like 2 and a half decades of footage from this guy. If you can pick one wrestler and say that they MADE wrestling, taking it from cult fan fanaticism to mainstream sensation, it's Hogan. Of course they're going to name drop him here and there. It's like trying to teach Japanese history and completely skipping over the atomic bombs... how do you ignore the big elephant in the room?
    Quote Originally Posted by DUBS
    I have to respectfully disagree here. Vince Mcmahon and Hulk Hogan made wrestling what it is today. Hulk Hogan made the WWE mainstream. WWE was never mainstream until Hulk Hogan rose to the top and became the face of WWE. Not to mention the Rock & Wrestling connection which happened because of Hulk Hogan's fame. I don't like the things Hogan says either but you have to admit that Hulk Hogan had a lot to do with wrestling being mainstream. The things Taker, HBK, Bret Hart, HHH, Stone Cold, and The Rock did in wrestling, Hogan did it first. Hulk Hogan is bigger than all of those guys you've mentioned and is often considered the biggest name of professional wrestling. No one has ever reached the heights of Hogan and I doubt anyone will.
    Vince did make wrestling what it is today. Without question stealing all the talent from all the territories to make one great event special. I'm talking about the first Wrestlemania of course. Other wrestlers such as Piper, JYD, and so forth contributed in making wrestlemania what it is. It wasn't just Hulk Hogan. Hulk Hogan was the big piece, but not the only piece. It is like saying a rivalry like Steve Austin vs Vince would have been successful no matter the two who played the part. I don't agree with that at all. You have two parts to a great puzzle which is what makes rivalries great. It wasn't just for Hogan that they tuned in to for WCW and certainly not just for WWE back in the day. It is like saying Andre slam had nothing to do with Hulkamania being so huge. They came to see Hogan beat up Piper. They came to Wrestlemania 3 to see if Hogan could beat the odds and slay the Giant. They didn't only come to see those matches. The main event isn't the only reason you come to the ppv. You come to see the rest of the event as well such as Macho Man vs Flair at Wrestlemania 8 instead of Hogan vs Sid. Or they may have come to see both. WM2 with the NFL players/wrestlers battle Royal, Piper vs Mr.T boxing match, and so forth. You don't think they came to see those. They came just to see Hogan? I don't think that is true at all.

WWE was never ever to the heights that the attitude era took it. It wasn't that big in the early 90s by any means. All the guys I mentioned beat Hogan's WCW.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatOne
    Vince did make wrestling what it is today. Without question stealing all the talent from all the territories to make one great event special. I'm talking about the first Wrestlemania of course. Other wrestlers such as Piper, JYD, and so forth contributed in making wrestlemania what it is. It wasn't just Hulk Hogan. Hulk Hogan was the big piece, but not the only piece. It is like saying a rivalry like Steve Austin vs Vince would have been successful no matter the two who played the part. I don't agree with that at all. You have two parts to a great puzzle which is what makes rivalries great. It wasn't just for Hogan that they tuned in to for WCW and certainly not just for WWE back in the day. It is like saying Andre slam had nothing to do with Hulkamania being so huge. They came to see Hogan beat up Piper. They came to Wrestlemania 3 to see if Hogan could beat the odds and slay the Giant. They didn't only come to see those matches. The main event isn't the only reason you come to the ppv. You come to see the rest of the event as well such as Macho Man vs Flair at Wrestlemania 8 instead of Hogan vs Sid. Or they may have come to see both. WM2 with the NFL players/wrestlers battle Royal, Piper vs Mr.T boxing match, and so forth. You don't think they came to see those. They came just to see Hogan? I don't think that is true at all.
    When you are the top draw, people pay to see you, well, since you are a draw who drew them in the first place. If your big draw isn't on the card for that booked event, you aren't selling out. Simple really. Why do you think WWE is hesitant on turning Cena heel? Because they lose their top draw who is worth 106 million dollars to them. Nothing against Rowdy Piper and JYD but they couldn't draw like Hogan did. Hulk Hogan was the top draw of his era, thus making him the must-see man in wrestling. Like I said, Hogan brought in the entertainment in wrestling based on his Hulkamania character, changing the foundation of wrestling. Before Hogan, the WWE was just some northern wrestling territory who didn't want to be affiliated with entertainment but that all changed when Vince Mcmahon Jr. took over his dad's company and Vince re-hired Hogan after Vince Sr. fired him. Oh, by the way, Hogan was big in the AWA too which showed how much of a draw Hogan was but AWA made the biggest mistake of their lives by not pushing him. Everything The Rock and Austin did, Hogan already done it and did it better. To say Hogan was big in the 80's is an understatement. He was HUGE.

WWE was never ever to the heights that the attitude era took it. It wasn't that big in the early 90s by any means. All the guys I mentioned beat Hogan's WCW.
    The Golden Era most certainly brought the WWE to new heights than the Attitude Era will ever do. Hogan was involved in a match with Andre at The Main Event show which drew in a 15.0 rating, meaning 10% of the country watched a match involved with Hogan going against Andre The Giant. When did the Attitude Era score a 15.0 rating on a show? They never did and today, WWE most certainly never will get a high 15.0 on a show again. I loved the Attitude Era but it will always be inferior to the Golden Era. Also, WCW was pretty much a wreck writing wise and financial wise by the time WWE started the Attitude Era but if they had their business set up properly with the booking being logical and the money being dealt with correctly, WWE would have been swept under the rug to be honest. Plus, lets not forget that WCW NWO was the start of the controversial angles before WWE decided to have "Attitude".
    Updated 05-11-2012 at 07:02 PM by Dubs
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.