View RSS Feed

ckb203

WrestleMania In England!

Rate this Entry
Now i am an English wrestling fan so obviously this is a bias view! However in this blog i hope to argue my point and show to non believers why it would be a good idea and fairly practical to hold Wrestlemania 31 or after at Wembley Stadium in England!

First of all i would like to explain that it is not the old Wembley stadium that Summerslam 92 was held in but this is a fairly new stadium that opened in 2007. It is very accessible and located on the outer rim of London!

Now the arena its self would be an almost perfect venue, i have already mentioned the convianece of the location so to the most pressing factor the attendance! The stadium holds 90,000 people for a football match (not American Football) and for concerts has held up to 105,000 people! So for a wrestling event it could easily hold around 110,000 people which would break all previous records. The next thing to mention is the condition and infrastructure of stadium, it is very new and in excellent condition, it has a partial roof that covers a lot of the seats and has a steel arc above the stadium as you can see below which lights up and has fireworks shoot out of it which would work well for WWE. The atmosphere is amazing in the stadium and will be even more so with all the seats on the pitch and the general wrestlemania buzz! It is also no stranger to big events as it has hosted the 2011 champions league final (European football tournament) which had more views than the super bawl in the same year! I also feel the majority English crowd would have an electric feel to it as shown in recent raws and generally good crowds we get in England.

Other positives would be that it would give many fans in England and Europe to go see the event without travelling as far, would be good for spreading the brand or wrestling itself in England due to the whole weeks activities and exposure and would also show that WWE is truly a global brand where they can have success anywere they go which would be a good image for the company! There are many places and areas in London where the weeks events could take place, more specifically the HOF could be held in the Royal Albert Hall which is a very prestiges and famous venue (British Bulldog could be inducted here ) and The following Raw and Smackdown could also be held in the O2 Arena where it was held a few weeks ago and save the wrestlers from doing there part of there Wrestlemania Revenge tour in England and go strait to Europe and back to America sooner!

Now i know many people will come up with negatives and arguments so i will hope answer them now and argue why they are not a problem!

1. London will not be able to host the event:

First of London is considered one of the three most important Cities in the World along with Tokyo and New York (Partly due to their global positions). London is also an amazing city and i recommend it to anyone who has not been, from its amazing sites to its great hotels and restraunts.

2. Americans & Canadians will not travel all the way to England to watch Wrestlemania:

Personally i think many die hard fans would travel to see the event and also enjoy it being in a foreign place. I also feel it would not be too much of a hassle as would only take 7-10 hours depending where you live to travel to England not to mention London has 2 big airports near it with Heathrow Airport being very near London and one of the busiest airports in the world. Also many fans could tie the trip into a holiday where they could see the tourism aspect of London as there are many things to do there.

3. The timing of the Broadcast would be to inconvenient for americans:

My first thing to say is deal with it! every one else as too, i personally stay up every year to 4 to watch it! I would also argue that many americans stayed up to watch the royal wedding so you can deal with watching wrestlemania earlier than normal witch is a much more entertaining event ( i really do not understand why people from America are so fascinated by the Royal Family, a lot of people in England did not care we just got an extra days holiday ) But in all seriousness it would not be too bad as if the event started 9pm London time and finished around 1:30 am people on the west cost would watch the event from 1 pm to 5:30 pm and fans on the east cost would watch the event from 4 pm to 8:30 pm which in all honesty is not that inconvenient!

4. The weather may not be good at that time of year in England:

That is the same for any stadium such as next years event at WM 29. Also the roof covers the crowd mostly as we deal with rain all year round for football matches and the only people getting wet would be the people in the middle. The ring would be under cover as usual so there is no real problem in my view not to mention that Vince McMahon says it never rains on WM day!

I will end this blog of pictures of Wembley and the Albert Hall! So really i cant think of a reason why WWE would not have a WM in England in the near future!!

Royal Albert Hall (where HOF would take place)

royal-albert-hall.jpg

Wembley Outside!

wembly night.jpg

Wembley inside!
wembly full.jpg

wembly day inside.jpg

Wembley in concert (Closest thing it has had too WM)

wembly concert.jpg

Thank you for reading!

Submit "WrestleMania In England!" to Digg Submit "WrestleMania In England!" to del.icio.us Submit "WrestleMania In England!" to StumbleUpon Submit "WrestleMania In England!" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    They won't do it. If they held it at 7pm at night (our time) it would be 3pm on the east coast and 11am on the west coast.
    Remeber, the US is still pretty religious compared to us and sunday is, for a lot of people, still quite a relgious and family orientated day.
    They don't mind us having to watch at 2am but seriously, they would never hold their biggest annual event outside of the US/canada.

You can say "My first thing to say is deal with it! every one else as too." That's how it is with Football isn't it? There's many EPL fans in the United States that have to "deal" with early kick offs to watch it but you won't ever see an 'EPL soccer' game held in a neutral stadium in the United States like the NFL does at wembley. Unfortunately, Wrestlemania is too big to hold in the UK due to the times. The US audiences are their main priority (sponsors for a start - just look at the advertisments during Raw.. we don't get half those products in the UK!). Also look at the special guests, they are mainly for North American audiences.
    Updated 05-04-2012 at 11:27 AM by Lowki
    i'm dutch too, and a wrestlemania in england is definatly something i would be present, book it!!!
    I like you're idea, but like what most are saying Wrestlemania is to big to have outside of USA/Canada. Maybe they should make up a PPV just for England, once a year. I guessing they can call it something like ''RoyalMania'' i'm not sure what the name can be, but there's a possibility WWE can do a PPV in England.
    Completely agree. I, like you, are English. In fact, I live in London. Whilst your blog is completely spot on, the reason we deserve a WrestleMania in London is simple - WE ARE LOYAL. I'm not saying we're any more loyal than any other country outside of the US, but I for one stay up until 4am on a monthly basis for PPV, 4am for MNR, and I make sure I catch the SD highlights as soon as I can (I have my standards, and watching the full show is simply not worth it these days).

For years these calls have been made and until Wembley was rebuilt they were unrealistic. England holds a hell of a fanbase for WWE and it would help Vince do what he wants to do every year with 'Mania and give it a different atmosphere. He could also come ridiculously close to breaking the UK arena attendance record (not just Wembley, the UK) - don't quote me on that as I've not done the sufficient research.

WrestleMania in England is a guaranteed sell-out as we've been waiting for it for 29 years so far.
    Wembley? If Wrestlemania took place in England it would blatantly take place at the mighty Carrow Road stadium!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.