View RSS Feed

rhyno535

Top 5 I Quit matches

Rate this Entry
Top 5 I Quit matches
We have extreme rules, last man standing and we have the I Quit match. No match is more brutal imo than the I quit match. To win an I quit match you need to make your opponent say the words I quit.

This time I’m going to rate the top 5 I quit matches in the wrestling history. This is my opinion about the matches so take your time and share your own opinion about this topic. As always I am not going to spoil anything from the match. Comment if I should spoil anything on my later posts.

Nr.5 November 28, 1985 Greensboro NC (NWA Starrcade) Tully Blanchard vs Magnum TA for the NWA US Title in a Steel Cage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfIWFLlzDJk

I was not born when this feud was on but i tried to get some information about it. This feud started sometimes between March and July 1985 when these two wrestlers started to feud about the NWA US Title. Magnum who won it in March hold it for 4months until Blanchard won it from him in July. For a couple of months they had a couple of matches but the match of the match was the I quit match at Starrcade. This match was the first ever televised I quit match and a good one too. I rate this match a 3,5 out of 5 stars because this match is a classic wrestling match and two very good in ring wrestlers.

Nr.4 May 22, 2005 Minneapolis MN (WWE Judgment Day)
John Bradshaw Layfield vs John Cena for the WWE Title

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkhhXefE_lE

I don’t remember this feud so much, but I remember that this feud started before WrestleMania 21. John Cena won the WWE Title from JBL and they were no contender for Cena’s title. For the upcoming weeks on Smackdown prior to Judgment Day 2005 8 wrestlers demanded a title shot against Cena. JBL won the matches he wrestled and earned a title shot. At this time they both hold the WWE Title since Cena introduced the spinner belt and JBL used the old design of the WWE Title. The match they had at Judgment Day wasn’t one of the best one but I put it on nr4 because of the two brawlers they both are. Both Cena and JBL were pretty bashed and the blood just dripped from the head. I rate this a 3,5 star out 5 and I think this is one of the best matches Cena had.

Nr.3 November 22, 2008 Chicago IL (ROH Rising Above)
Austin Aries vs Jimmy Jacobs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1uirs_aFlI

I’m sorry but I haven’t watched a show from Ring of Honor and I wanted to include one match from them. I know that they produce very technical and fast wrestling matches and I think many of you guys haven’t watched this. I tried to find some background story from this feud and I found a little information about it. This feud began when Austin stole Jacobs valet from him. Jacobs got angry and they wanted to end this in an I Quit match. This is one of the brutal matches I have ever seen from Ring of Honor. The ending in this match just left me speechless and is a must see for you wrestling fans. I rate this match a 4,5 star out of 5 because in my opinion these two wrestlers just wanted to kill each other. This is a very technical match and just showed me that I need to watch a show sooner or later.

Nr.2 January 24, 1999 Anaheim CA (WWE Royal Rumble)
Mankind vs The Rock for the WWF Title

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a18Ep1shPdE

This rivalry started in 1998 Survivor Series when these two met in the tournament final for the WWF Title. The Rock won the title thanks to the McMahons who helped him. The Rock became the poster boy for the stable The Corporation and Mankind the “rebel” who wanted to remove the stable from the WWF. These two later wrestled on the IYH Rock Bottom PPV for the WWF title and in the end Mankind became the new champion. The rivalry did not stop there and they challenged each other in an I Quit match at Royal Rumble 1999. That match was gruesome and very brutal. These two could really wrestle each other with excellent storytelling and two good brawlers. I rate this match a 4,5 out of 5 star because of the ending. If the ending was better I would rate it a perfect 5 star. But those chair shots was a OMG moment.

Nr.1 November 15, 1989 Troy NY (NWA Clash of the Champions IX)
Terry Funk vs Ric Flair in a non-title match

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkey1MHblbY

I wasn’t born at this time and I have never watched a NWA PPV. I tried to find some information about this feud but it’s the match that made it to the Nr.1. Ric Flair the face in this match who was the biggest star at the time (Maybe Hogan) and Terry Funk one of the greatest wrestlers ever in my opinion. These two technical wrestlers made this I Quit match and showed that an I Quit match doesn’t need the brutality in it nor the blood. The match had it all, the brawling, the technicality and the excellent timing between these two excellent wrestlers. As I said I’m sorry for not telling the feud in the beginning but you guys need to watch the match and tell your own opinion about it. I rate this match a perfect 5 out 5 star because the technical and the storytelling between these two wrestlers. Two guys with a charisma some of the wrestlers don’t have or had.

If my grammar or my english is bad don't blame me blame my english teacher and the swedish schools.

Submit "Top 5 I Quit matches" to Digg Submit "Top 5 I Quit matches" to del.icio.us Submit "Top 5 I Quit matches" to StumbleUpon Submit "Top 5 I Quit matches" to Google

Tags: top 5
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good article, agree with most of the post. There is one gray area match though. Bret Hart vs Steve Austin was a no DQ submission match. Kind of the same thing as an i quit match since the only way to lose was to tap.
    Terry Funk technical? I watched that entire feud. I remember when Terry first asked Flair for a title shot. I believe this feud was the first time I can remember seeing a guy being piledriven through / on a table. I'd still put the Rock v Mankind as the top "I Quit" match. I will never forget that match. It was hard to watch those chair shots. Made me a little sick to my stomach. The the controversy of the recorded "I QUIT! I QUIT!", easily the #1 I Quit match for me.
    Solid opinions. I would have ranked the Blanchard/Magnum match at least three with either Funk/Flair or Rock/Mankind in the 1 or 2 spot (both matches were awesome but I probably would have put Funk/Flair as number 1 because I preferred the ending over the 11 chair shots.) The Blanchard/Magnum feud had much more depth than just the title on the line (Which the US title at that time was a very high honor to wear). It was the battle of Dusty's "Good Ol Boys" vs the 4 Horsemen. The match was a great way to sell the story of "just how much the boys of the middle class hated these corporate monsters". While Aries/Jacobs was remarkably strong and Cena/JBL was what it was, these top three told stories that belong in the top three.
    Seanb93, I knew this thing would come up. I wanted to include matches that really was an I Quit match on the paper.

ToiletBowl, Rock v Mankind was an awesome match but the ending just pretty boring im sorry but thats my opinion.

Darkside, I thought about it to put that match on the third spot but since i wasnt born and i havent watched the feud i put it on the 5th spot.

I thank you guys for the well praise i got and this is what i wanted to create some discussion about my topic.
    I'm glad you included Cena v JBL. That's one of the most underrated I Quit matches in history. It's really hard to go wrong with either Flair / Funk or Rock / Mankind. I loved both feuds and both matches were very memorable. I've just never been as big of a fan of Babyface Flair. Had Funk been the face and Flair the heel, I think that would have put a great twist on that storyline. But then again, I wouldnt have seen that awesome piledriver on the table to Flair.
    magnun t.a. versus tully blanchard tells a good story behind the feud, and the match itself delivers emotion, uniqueness, drama, crowd reaction, originality and reality effect... it deserved the number one position (if you ask me...)

then i will consider adding bret hart versus bob backlund...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDlkm2O1-EY
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.