View RSS Feed

ozfan

Ozfan's Top Picks: Top 10 Intercontinental Championship Reigns

Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average.
[B]Hey everyone. This is the first edition of Ozfan's Top Picks. For the first edition, I am going to go through my opinion on the TOP 10 Intercontinental Championship reigns in WWE History. [/B]

[B]10. Cody Rhodes: August 9, 2011 - April 1, 2012 [/B]
Cody Rhodes, with the help of Ted DiBiase, captured the Intercontinental Championship after defeating Ezekiel Jackson via Cross Rhodes. Throughout mid-2011 and early 2012, he defended it successfully against superstars such as Ted DiBiase, Ezekiel Jackson, John Morrison, Kofi Kingston and Booker T. He held the title for 6 months before losing it to Big Show at WrestleMania 28.

[B]9. Randy Orton: December 14, 2003 - July 11, 2004[/B]
Just one year after his debut in WWE and throughout most of 2003, Randy Orton continued to rise up from a rookie to superstar quickly, with victories over superstars like Christian, Lance Storm, Hardcore Holly and even Shawn Michaels. At Armageddon 2003, Orton defeated Rob Van Dam to win the title. He defended it vigorously throughout the Autumn and Spring of 2004. He challenged and defeated superstars like Mick Foley, Booker T, Chris Jericho and Shelton Benjamin until eventually losing it to Edge at Vengeance 2004 after a seven month reign.

[B]8. Chris Jericho: March 10, 2008 - June 29, 2008[/B]
After a two year hiatus, Chris Jericho returned in November of 2007 and immediately re-climbed the ranks of WWE. He challenged for the WWE Championship against Randy Orton but came up short. He then challenged Jeff Hardy a couple of weeks before WrestleMania 24 for the Intercontinental Title. He won the match after a Codebreaker and held the title for just under 4 months, defending it against superstars like Umaga, Big Show and JBL. Jericho lost the title to rising star Kofi Kingston at Night Of Champions 2008, who had just been drafted to the RAW brand.

[B]7. Shelton Benjamin: October 19, 2004 - June 20, 2005[/B]
One week after WrestleMania 20, WWE held a Draft Night. Shelton Benjamin was drafted to RAW, disbanding The World's Greatest Tag Team. Benjamin, in his debut match on RAW, defeated Triple H in an upset victory. Over the months he would pick up another two victories over The Game and also his Evolution team mates, Ric Flair and Randy Orton. Benjamin failed to win the title at Bad Blood but in a few months at Taboo Tuesday, the fans picked him to challenge then champion Chris Jericho for the title, which he won. He retained the gold against superstars like Jericho, Christian and Maven. He held the title for 244 days until losing it to RAW's newest superstar, Carlito on RAW.

[B]6. Pat Patterson: September 1, 1979 - April 21, 1980[/B]
The very first Intercontinental Championship reign in the history of all its glory. Patterson was awarded the Intercontinental Championship after he defeated Ted DiBiase in Allentown, Pennsylvania to win the WWF North American Heavyweight Championship and also after he won a tournament in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, unifying the North American Championship with the South American Championship. Patterson would go on to hold the title for 233 days until losing it to Ken Patera.

[B]5. Shawn Michaels: October 27, 1992 - May 17, 1993[/B]
After Shawn Michaels turned his back on his parter, Marty Jannetty, he focused on his singles career. He adopted the nickname "The Heartbreak Kid", HBK for short. He challenged for the Intercontinental Title against Bret Hart in a ladder match but came up short, although he eventually won it months later from Hart's brother in-law, The British Bulldog, Davey Boy Smith. Even thought Michaels was Intercontinental Champion, he still wanted to go for the big one. He challenged Bret Hart for the WWF Championship at Survivor Series but came up short against The Hitman again. He continued defending the title against superstars like Razor Ramon and Mr. Perfect. Michaels would then engage in a feud with his former tag team partner, Marty Jannetty. He lost the title to Jannetty on Monday Night RAW, ending his 200+ day reign.

[B]4. Macho Man Randy Savage: February 8, 1986 - March 29, 1987[/B]
In late 1985, Macho Man Randy Savage began a feud with Tito Santana over the Intercontinental Championship. On an edition of Saturday Night's Main Event, Savage challenged Santana for the title. He won the match but it was by count out, so the title stuck with Santana. They would continue to feud over the next several months with Savage challenging Santana to a rematch for the gold, which he won after knocking out Santana with an illegal object, most likely brass knuckles. Savage would then pick up two count out victories over Hulk Hogan, both for the Intercontinental Championship. He would then feud and defeat superstars like Bruno Sammartino and George "The Animal" Steele. He defeated Steele at WrestleMania 2 and then again in another two matches for the title in 1987. At WrestleMania 3, Savage lost the title to Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat, after interference from George Steel, ending his 14 month reign.

[B]3. The Rock: December 8, 1997 - August 30, 1998 [/B]
In a match for the Intercontinental Championship, The Rock lost to then champion, Steve Austin in less than six minutes. Austin refused to compete in their rematch so he handed the title to Rock and then gave him a Stone Cold Stunner. Rock continued his feud with Austin and also Ken Shamrock. Rock then feuded with Faarooq and defeated him at Over The Edge in 1998. He then feuded with Triple H and the Nation of Domination fought D-Generation X while Triple H and Rock battled for the title. The Rock defeated Triple H at Fully Loaded in a Two Out of Three Falls match to retain the title, despite the victory being controversial. The Rock finally lost the belt to Triple H in a ladder match at SummerSlam, ending his eight month reign.

[B]2. The Ultimate Warrior: August 29, 1988 - April 2, 1989[/B]
When The Ultimate Warrior debuted in WWF in 1987, he quickly burst onto the scene, getting himself recognised quickly. He started a feud with Hercules Hernandez and defeated him at WrestleMania 4. He then started a feud with Intercontinental Champion, The Honkey Tonk Man. Warrior won the title at the first ever SummerSlam event in 1988, after defeating Honkey Tonk Man in just thirty seconds, ending his reign at 454 days, the longest singles reign in the history of the Intercontinental Championship. He would then go on and feud with "Ravishing" Rich Rude. He defeating Rude at SummerSlam 1989 to retain the gold, but eventually lost the title to Rude at WrestleMania 5, ending the Warrior's reign at 216 days, which is the same amount of days as his second and final Intercontinental Title reign.

[B]1. The Honkey Tonk Man: June 2, 1987 - August 29, 1988[/B]
On an episode of Superstars, The Honkey Tonk Man defeated Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat to win the title. He overcame numerous challengers such as Steamboat, Bruno Sammartino, George Steel and Macho Man Randy Savage. Even though most of his defences ended by him being DQ'd or Counted Out, Honkey Tonk Man still managed to hold onto the gold. He engaged in a rivalry with Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake over his title. He defeated Beefcake in numerous matches. Honkey Tonk Man held the title until SummerSlam of 1988. The very first SummerSlam event. Brutus Beefcake was scheduled to have the title shot but was attacked by "Outlaw" Ron Bass. Instead, The Ultimate Warrior was Beefcake's replacement. Warrior came out and beat Honkey Tonk Man in just thirty seconds. Even though he lost the title that night, he had still managed to hold the belt for 1 year, 2 months and 27 days. It is the longest reign in the history of the Intercontinental Championship and as of today, nobody has been able to break the record, which is why I have chosen this reign to be Number 1.

[B]I HOPE YOU ALL ENJOYED THE FIRST EDITION OF OZFAN'S TOP PICKS. PLEASE LEAVE YOUR THOUGHTS BELOW.[/B]

Submit "Ozfan's Top Picks: Top 10 Intercontinental Championship Reigns" to Digg Submit "Ozfan's Top Picks: Top 10 Intercontinental Championship Reigns" to del.icio.us Submit "Ozfan's Top Picks: Top 10 Intercontinental Championship Reigns" to StumbleUpon Submit "Ozfan's Top Picks: Top 10 Intercontinental Championship Reigns" to Google

Updated 04-22-2012 at 06:46 AM by ozfan

Tags: top picks
Categories
Thoughts and Opinions

Comments

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by wrestlingfan66513
    I think you should have changed Cody with someone else. Morrison was just a one night impromptu match and Cody was in DRESS clothes. DiBiase wasn't really much at that time.

I would have put an Hart ,RVD, Jeff Hardy or Mr. Perfect there.

Totally agree. Your list is good, but I'm sick of people saying Cody brought prestige back to the title... he didn't do shit with it. it was a glorified prop. he would go months without defending it. Other then that good list and i agree with wrestlingfan's choices to replace cody
    I hate when folks bring up Honky Tonk Man as the great IC champ ever.
    Ricky Steamboat, Razor Ramon, Mr. Perfect, Bret Hart... they helped make that belt legit or sustain it's legitimacy. I just have a hard time buying into Randy Orton, Pat Patterson & Sheldon Benjamin.
    Bret Hart, Perfect, Razor Ramon in place of Shelton Benjaman, Cody Rhodes and Orton. By the time they got the belt, (Rhodes especially) the Title was meaningless.
    I REALISE THAT THERE ARE MORE THEN 10 GREAT INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIP REIGNS. I AM SORRY IF I MISSED ANYONE BUT IT WAS ONLY THE TOP 10 AND IF IT WAS THE TOP 20, I WOULD INCLUDE THOSE SUPERSTARS MENTIONED. IF I EVER DO ANOTHER POST ON INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIP REIGNS, I WILL DEFINITELY INCLUDE THOSE SUPERSTARS MENTIONED ABOVE. THANK YOU.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.