View RSS Feed

Khris

The African Americans in wrestling today.

Rate this Entry
Back in the 90's where african american wrestlers were just breaking thru they came in and captivated the sport but what has happen? Guys like The Rock-D'lo Brown-Mark Henry- Ahmed Jackson-Farooq(Ron Simmons) and Rikishi had paved the way for other guys to come in but to me all seems lost. Here are some of the guys today that wasted thier talent.

Eziekal Jackson- As soon as i saw him i thought ok big guy, incrediable strength but then as soon as brian kendrick left his lack of chrisma showed. This guy can't talk to save his life but mangement really wants to push him. His moveset is decent but not effective. Crowds rally behind him but after a minute it dies down.

Sheldon Benjamin- He was one of my favorites especially when he beat HHH. His abilty is unmatched and mat skills unchallenged. Like many though his chrisma was horrible. He could keep a crowd entertained with his style in the ring but the mic snooze ville. He needed a manger bad but when they brought they lady to play momma that was the WRONG DIRECTION. He still has a shot at being something great just not with that gold standered gimmick.

Kofi Kingston- Great entrance, nice moveset, sells merchendise but yet again sucks on the mic which slows his career down. I watched his feud with randy i wasnt impressed at all if anything it showed he's weak. Orton only shoved kofi into the cage and this guy had to ejected out of the match come on son. Miz made a point when he said kofi is an after thought cause he is. The guy cant sell a match or a feud. He needs to break out of his shell and let the rage flow thru then watch him skyrocket.

D'angelo Dinero- I liked him better in wwe. He was pushed more often and had a hell of a gimmick as Elijah Burke express. This pimp gimmick he got leave it to God Father son. He has everything it takes to be a champ chrisma-abilty-merchendise-fan base. Mangement needs to see this before wrestling looses a great athlete.

Jay Lethal- His leaping ability is crazy and actually has chrisma and a fan base. I wasnt much of a fan when i started to watch tna i was more of a sonja dutt kinda guy but when he feuded with Flair he grabbed my attention. I still watch the clip of portaying Fliar on youtube it's a classic. Unfortunely tna missed out and lost one of thier best. He has a bright future hope he capatilizes on it.

JTG- Great chrisma and ring abilty but somethings off bout him. He cant seem to break thru and i don't know why. His moves are really good but sometimes sloppy and can never win a big one. He needs Shad back and go back to tag teaming. Cryme Tyme lol

R Truth- I hate lil jimmy and that gimmick too. No doubting he has chrisma and pure skills in the ring but his look isnt WHC standered and thats the truth. When he goes back to being a heel hopefully then he will start winning some titles.

Thats my view on todays African American wrestlers maybe someday well get another rock but for now i'll accept what we got.

Submit "The African Americans in wrestling today." to Digg Submit "The African Americans in wrestling today." to del.icio.us Submit "The African Americans in wrestling today." to StumbleUpon Submit "The African Americans in wrestling today." to Google

Comments

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    the WWE and wrestling misses out on a bunch of people, not just african americans.

what about DH Smith, Chris Masters, Hawkins, Baretta, McIntyre....? making a blog about just AA talent the WWE missed out on is trying to look at an issue that isn't there. people get their shots or get screwed no matter what race they are.

*comment directed more at other comments than the blog
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtt08 xXx
    the WWE and wrestling misses out on a bunch of people, not just african americans.

what about DH Smith, Chris Masters, Hawkins, Baretta, McIntyre....? making a blog about just AA talent the WWE missed out on is trying to look at an issue that isn't there. people get their shots or get screwed no matter what race they are.

*comment directed more at other comments than the blog

Yes,but in the spirit of you know that whole staying on topic thing as far as comments go I believe thats why people including myself are commenting strictly on African Americans. IT's not really creating an issue so much as making an observation.And there are plenty of other blogs that already comment on people like Drew Mcintyre.
    Nosell, couldn't have said it better myself. Mtt08, no doubts that the E royally fucks up when it comes to talent but when it comes to AA talent there is a pronounced glass ceiling. The Rock was able to win the title because of his gimmick yes but he was also a 3rd generation wrestler who had wrestling ties on both sides of his family. In that respect it can be seen as a lil nepotism. But why not Shelton Benjiman. Someone else pointed him out to be the AA version of Chris Benoit. I find that to be a rather apt description. But yet he could only see the "ECW" title. Kofi Kingston has tons of in ring ability but can't get a title shot because of Randy Orton, another receipent of nepotism. R-Truth can't even get a decent gimmick. Booker T had to wait til end of his career to become a 6th time champion which is damn near forgotten. Yes I have to say that as a AA myself raising kids who want to know why wrestlers who look like them haven't won the title that is unsettling. I don't mean to get political or hint at racism but it's out there and the Vince and the E is all mixed up in it.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.