View RSS Feed

wrestlingfan66513

Blog Wars 18: Top 6 Managers/Valets

Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Welcome back to Blog Wars! Sorry for the wait but this episode will be an exciting match up. First off, I'd like to annouce that Blog Wars is an official sponsor of the EWA. As the sponsor I will do a small column at the bottom of the blog introducing 1 talent to the masses each week. Now before I begin I'd like to say that on the 20th episode of Blog Wars I will change my format some. Top 5 list battles only last for so long so I will add some surprises to it. Now who gets to appear on that historic show is another story. This week the Dr. Death defends against Destruction in what looks to be a great match up. Here is the list...
Top 6 Managers/Valets

Criteria to consider: Ability to get talent over, ability to draw reactions(pops, boos and anything in between), Memorable moments, and Famous clients.

Destruction
Hello everyone, you may know me as Destruction, often found in the WWE and the EFed Section. Now, when wrestlingfan66513 came to me with the chance of being in Blog Wars, I couldn't have said Hell Yeah quick enough. The topic today is top 6 managers/ring valet in history. Managers/Ring Valets are great, for people who need to improve on their mic work, and they're great for advancing gimmicks. This is my personal favourites

6. Paul Bearer

The Father of Destruction is one of the most recognizable faces in wrestling today. The Undertaker and Kane wouldn't have been nearly as successful today. He managed them both to 1 WWF Title, (along with being Kane's manager when he had the World Heavyweight Title), and was involved in 7 of The Undertaker's Wrestlemania streak (6 managing him, 1 managing Kane - Who was against 'Taker), managed Mankind in what was a great feud vs The Undertaker. Host of the funeral parlor, many of his moments include trapping Ultimate Warrior in an airtight casket, bring Kane into WWE, being burnt by a fireball, and being buried in cement by Undertaker himself. He pushed The Phenom to one of the most memorable superstars in WWF/WWE History, and is a worthy contender for top manager in history

5. "Sensational" Sherri Martel

Sherri Martel was refered to the WWF by "The Body" Jesse Ventura, and on her debut, in 1987, she defeated Fabulous Moolah for the WWF Womens title. She would hold this title for 15 months, before losing it to Rockin' Robin. In 1990, she moved on to managing male wrestlers - starting with "Macho Man" Randy Savage. She sided with him, in his feud against Hogan and Miss Elizabeth. After this relationship ended, she moved on to Ted DiBiase, and later Shawn Michaels. Providing the vocals to "Sexy Boy", she furthered his career, before turning on him, after Michaels moved her in front of him, when Marty Jannety tried to hit Michaels with a mirror, causing Sherri to get hit. She later managed Harlem Heat to 7 Tag Team Championships in WCW, cementing her legacy. Inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2006 by Ted DiBiase, she was one of the most famed Managers of all time

4. Vickie Guerrero

Vickie added an extra dimension into the Eddie/Rey feud, making Eddie seem a changed and violent man to his own family. After Eddie's death, she seemed to have sided with Rey with his feud against Chavo Guerrero, but later turned on him to side with his nephew. Later, she started a romantic relationship with Edge, and formed La Famila with Edge, Chavo, and The Edge-heads. She managed Edge to 2 World Heavyweight Championship reigns, and 1 WWE Championship reign. Later becoming the manager of Eric Escobar and Lay-Cool (managing Layla to 1 Womens Title), before becoming the on screen girlfriend of Dolph Ziggler. Feuds with Kofi Kingston, Edge and others, Dolph Ziggler became a 1 time United States Champion, 1 time intercontinental champion, and 1 time World Heavyweight Champion. Also managing Jack Swagger to a United States Championship, she is also the top heat gainer currently in WWE, making her the most successful manager in the 2000's.

3. Miss Elizabeth

Famed for her relationship with Randy Savage, and managing him, Hulk Hogan, and them together as The Mega Powers, Miss Elizabeth is THE most famous (along with Sherri) valet in history. Whether it is Savage's feud with Flair, their emotional reunion, or there wedding reception, there past is filled with great moments. In WCW, there reunion in the NWO, and feud with DDP and Kimberly. In her last few years in pro wrestling, as part of NWO Hollywood, and her relationship with Lex Luger, she is a legend in the wrestling business, and a future Hall of Famer for sure

2. Jimmy Hart

The Mouth of The South, often accompanied by his trademark megaphone, is a wrestling legend in the business. The 2005 Hall of Famer, has managed 59 Wrestler's during the course of his career, which includes 14 Teams/Stables. He accompanied "Hollywood" Hulk Hogan in his entry to WCW, along with an early Hart Foundation and The Honky Tonk's man IC Title Reign. During the course of his career, he managed superstars who, won, 3 WCW Titles, 4 Tag Team Titles, and 2 Intercontinental Titles. Also composer of many theme songs, Jimmy Hart is a legend in the wrestling business

1. Bobby Heenan

Bobby "The Brain" Heenan, is not only in my eyes the best manager of all time, but also the best color commentator as well. Often the most hated man, in the promotion, Heenan managed a bucket load of people. The Heenan family, in WWF consisted of 17 people (if you want to know them all check out Wikipedia), and managed Andre The Giant at Wrestlemania 3. Wrestlemania 5 was his quest to win a title in WWF, as he never managed a superstar to a title in that time. At Wrestlemania, Ric Rude won the IC title, and Colossal Connection won the Tag Team Titles, leading him to manage 2 champions at the same time. In 18 months, he went from having managed no champions to having managed two tag teams to two World Tag Team championships and two wrestlers to three Intercontinental championships. A legend on the mic, and full of charisma, The Brain - is the best ever

Honorable Mentions
Michael Hayes
Paul E. Dangerously
"Classy" Fred Blassie
Lita

Dr. Death

Here we are for Blog Wars 18 and some hard choices await us as we take a look at the Top 6 Managers or Ring Valets in pro wrestling history. To do this, we must follow certain criteria as follows;
1. Success of Clients
2. Ability to draw heat or pops
3. Number of clients
4. Memorable moments as a manager
With these criteria in place, we can now make our list:

Counting Down the Top 6 Managers/Ring Valets in History

6. Classy Freddie Blassie: The gravelly voiced Blassie made the term “pencil-neck geek” famous. Blassie became a manager in the WWWF in the early ’70s. “The Hollywood Fashion Plate” was known for managing mostly foreign heels, wild men and turncoats, and he had a real knack for raising the ire of fans. Blassie always carried a cane, which often found its way into a babyface’s ribs or back. Blassie managed around 35 wrestlers. Blassie also managed Muhammed Ali in his boxer vs. wrestler match in 1976 against Antonio Inoki.

5. Jimmy Hart: The aptly named “Mouth of the South” was one of the most annoying managers of all time with his high whiny voice amplified through the megaphone he carried to the ring. A very successful manager, Jimmy Hart has managed around 50 superstars and 14 Tag Teams in his career as a manager. Just when it seemed that the motor-mouthed manager with the loud clothes and high-pitched voice couldn’t be any more annoying, he began using the megaphone as a weapon to aid his men, and also to get on fans’ nerves with his constant chattering.

4. The Grand Wizard: Managing around 30 superstars to varied degrees of success, The Grand Wizard Ernie Roth will always be remembered for his obnoxious promos and garish getup – which consisted of loud, mismatched jackets and pants, a turban and gaudy sunglasses –were more than enough to incite fans. During a period when heel world champions were rare in the WWWF, the Wizard managed two – Stan “The Man” Stasiak and Superstar Billy Graham. He also carved a niche for himself as a deceitful, underhanded character who insulted US fans whenever he had a chance, laying a template for heels for years to come. He was a pioneer of "manager interference", as he physically would attempt to alter a match's outcome in the Sheik's favor whenever he could (inciting a full-scale riot on one occasion). Graham and the Wizard were arguably the first performers to be cheered without requiring a "push" as a babyface, once again laying a template for superstars to come.

3. Jim Cornette: He was, and still is, one of the best promo guys in the history of the business.Thanks in large part to the tennis racket-wielding Cornette, The Midnight Express (Dennis Condrey and Bobby Eaton and later Eaton and Stan Lane) are regarded as one of wrestling’s greatest tag teams. All three wrestlers were accomplished workers, but it was Cornette’s antics and incredible gift of gab that really got the act over. Like Bobby Heenan, Cornette was able to entertain the fans while also getting under their skin so much that they would buy a ticket in the hopes of seeing him get his comeuppance. Managing 25 superstars and 14 Tag Teams so far in his managerial wrestling career, Jim Cornette is still one of the best in the business today.

2. Bobby Heenan: “The Brain” was the man you loved to hate. Thanks to his quick wit, he could make fans laugh while simultaneously getting them to jeer him. Heenan was a tremendous bump-taker as a manager. He rose to prominence in the AWA. Heenan, of course, is most known for his run in the WWF, where he managed a number of challengers to Hulk Hogan’s world title, including King Kong Bundy at WrestleMania 2 (1986) and Andre The Giant at WrestleMania III (1987). Managing around 40 of the most notorious superstars, Bobby Heenan was a thorn in the sides of babyfaces everywhere and even us fans who loved to see him get what's coming to him. It's for this reason that The Brain is at #2 in this list.

1. Capt. Lou Albano: I know that Bobby Heenan will probably be at the top of most people’s lists, but Albano is the first person that comes to mind when I think of great managers. With his wild eyes, ample belly, loud mouth and rubber band facial piercings, Albano truly was one of a kind, or as he would say, “often imitated but never duplicated.” Throughout the 1970s, Albano was the most hated man in the WWWF, and he transferred his heat to his charges. He usually ranted like a madman on his promos, but sometimes he would start off by speaking softly and intelligently and then suddenly begin yelling and screaming. Albano routinely interfered in his men’s matches and took his share of bumps. Anytime a babyface got his hands on Albano, it always drew a huge pop. Amazingly, he became a babyface in the mid 1980s and was a key figure in WWE’s rock and wrestling era. Captain Lou Albano managed around 54 superstars and at least 12 Tag Teams and could captivate the audience as both a heel or face manager.

That's it for this week. Both guys did great with really different but valid picks. Interested to see how this turns out. Rember to vote and stay tune for the EWA superstar of the week.

"Mr. Mayhem" Mike Hawk
Finishers: Mayhem Driver(Canadian Destroyer), Phoenix Splash
Style: High Flyer/Martial Artist

Words from Hawk:
IC as Hawk: I am one of the latest and greatest aqusations in the EWA and the EWNCW. I came here at the request of our sponsor and would like to say that I am the NUMBER 1 superstar in the EWA at the moment. At the next EWA PPV, Untamed Khaos (found in the efed section on the forums), I will overcome the odds and win the fatal four way match and become one step closer to relizing my dream as the first World Champion on Carnage. If any of you have the guts to challenge me, then come on over because I am always looking for a worthy challenger.

Submit "Blog Wars 18: Top 6 Managers/Valets" to Digg Submit "Blog Wars 18: Top 6 Managers/Valets" to del.icio.us Submit "Blog Wars 18: Top 6 Managers/Valets" to StumbleUpon Submit "Blog Wars 18: Top 6 Managers/Valets" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    I vote for destruction
    Destruction, Paul Bearer is so iconic to be excluded from this list.
    Tough, but Destruction for me
    Destruction
    destruction gets my vote...
    Destruction, but I don't think Vickie belongs. She was hardly ever at ringside with Edge and that is when she was at her best. Watered down a bit since that time.

Replace her with Cornette. Destruction is more solid if you ask me.
    Dr Death by a effing LANDSLIDE!

Maybe some of you are too young, but Blassie and The Wizard made heel talent in their days. Being managed by them was instant drawing power and heat.

I'm REALLY surprised not to see Playboy Gary Hart. Shame shame shame. He's the solid #2 of all time.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.