View RSS Feed

bearkg88

WBC #6 Top 5 Holy SH!T Moments!

Rate this Entry

What is up everybody!? It is time for another edition of WBC, and I hope everyone likes the new banner I made. Keep an eye out for the next edition of Uncooked as I will be showcasing a new banner for that as well. Last week, Renevious pummeled his opponent and continued to hold the title of WBC Champion. This week, he faces a veteran blogger in the form of RatedATB. The topic for this week, top 5 holy shit moments. We are going to kick it off with the champ, Renevious!

Renevious

Hey guys, what’s up? Renevious here again. As always, I’d like to start by thanking everyone who reads anything I write and especially those of you who continue to vote for me as champion. It truly is a pleasure writing these things, and it’s really great to know there are fans out there that actually enjoy reading. With that being said, let’s get down to business.

Top 5 Holy Sh!t Moments
This one was a very tough list to come up with. It’s such a broad category, and there have been so many moments over the years that could possibly be contenders for these top spots. I was actually going to get started on this one earlier, but I’m kind of glad I waited until today. Granted, I’m not going to include this in my top 5 list, but I do have to admit that last night’s RAW was pretty strong. The Rock announcing his quest for the WWE Title and Brock giving the F5 to Cena were both pretty badass. There was even a pretty solid Holy Sh!t chant at the end of the show. For once, it actually felt exciting to be a fan again. Ok, now to the list.

5. Rob Van Dam v. Jeff Hardy (WCW Invasion 2001)
This one is a little unique in the sense that it’s not really a single Holy Sh!t moment so much as just one long Holy Sh!t match. Now by this time, RVD was already a part of the WWE, but we still hadn’t gotten a full serving of what this dude was going to bring to the table. And on the flip side of that, we were still in the very early stages of seeing what Jeff Hardy could do as a singles competitor. For those of us who had been fans of the classic ECW, we knew exactly what was coming. And we couldn’t wait. The Whole F’n Show was finally going to shine in the big leagues. I distinctly remember watching this event with my best friend and hyping up RVD to him. He hadn’t watched ECW, so he didn’t know who this guy even was. But let me tell you, by the end of the match we were both on our feet chanting RVD! RVD! RVD!

4. Hardys v. Edge & Christian v. Dudley Boys (TLC II, Wrestlemania X-Seven)
I know I keep going to this well over and over in many lists, but there’s a good reason for that. This match was not only a lengthy string of Holy Sh!t moments, but the match in general was just the shit all around. I also like to brag about the fact that I was actually at this event and got to see it all live. It was the show stealer of arguably the greatest PPV in the history of wrestling. And the icing on the Holy Sh!t flavored cake was the iconic spear from Edge onto Jeff Hardy while he was hanging from the belts 15 feet above the ring. This was eleven years ago, and they still play that one bump every single chance they get. Seeing Edge inducted in the HOF was just another opportunity for today’s fans to get to see it again.

3. Shane McMahon v. Kurt Angle (King of the Ring 2001)
I think we’re starting to see a pattern here. Yeah, that’s right. If you don’t see it, let me spell it out for you. I’m declaring 2001 as the official Holy Sh!t year in pro wrestling. It almost seems like this match took place for the sole purpose of generating enough “don’t try this at home” B-roll to last the WWE a lifetime. Shane O’ Mac took took enough bumps in this match that I’m sure somewhere it made Mick Foley and Terry Funk cringe. He got dropped straight on his head, he went through glass (TWICE), he did a shooting star press landing on nothing, and he got Angle Slammed off the top rope; AND HE WASN’T EVEN A FULL TIME WRESTLER!

2. Masato Tanaka v. Mike Awesome (November to Remember 1999)
That’s right. I’m bringing in an ECW moment. This was a very difficult pick to make, especially since ECW was actually the company that coined the whole Holy Sh!t chant in the first place. There was never a night when it didn’t happen at least 3 or 4 times. And to make it even harder to decide, I had pick which one of these guys’ matches to use out of the trillion that they had against each other over their feud. But one specific moment sold it for me. We got to see Mike Awesome powerbomb Tanaka off the apron through a table on the floor. Now, this has happened countless times since, but at the time it was ground breaking. You just didn’t see that type of carnage anywhere but ECW (and the backyards of idiots). But the thing that topped it off was hearing the immortal words of the legendary Joey Styles calling the match, saying that his mom is going to hate him for this, and then yelling “HOLY SHIT!” right in the middle of the crowd’s chant.

1. Undertaker v. Mankind (Hell in a Cell, King of the Ring 1998)
As if you didn’t see this one coming a mile away. It’s the most memorable moment in cage match history. It’s up there with Superfly splashing Don Muraco from the top of the cage. I don’t even think I need to go too far into this one. What can I possibly say about Mankind flying off the cage or falling through it that hasn’t already been said and replayed a million times? The thing that I do think is the most interesting about this match is that the infamous fall off the cage through the table was totally planned, but the slam through the cage with steel chair falling on Mankind’s face was a complete accident. And seeing Mankind sitting in the corner after the match with his dislodged tooth sitting right under his nose is the absolute perfect end to the perfect Holy Sh!t moment.

Thanks everyone once again for reading. I hope you enjoyed it. In the words of Stan Lee, “you keep reading them, I’ll keep writing them.” Till next time, God Bless.

Not a bad list from Renevious. Can RatedATB top that? Let's take a look!

RatedATB

5. Elix Skipper Walks the Cage
I felt that I needed to put at least one TNA moment on here as they have so many back in their early days. If one moment personifies what TNA used to be about it’s this moment. Any time someone walks on the top rope it’s an impressive feat of balance. However, to walk on top on a steel cage no bigger than the rope, with no support but your own balance, is something that just screams athleticism. Then to hit a frankensteiner from that height on to Chris Harris is enough to get you jacked.

4. RVD’s First Van Terminator
I couldn’t justify this list without including an ECW moment. This was one of those moments that saw your jaw drop and got you out of your seat. It wasn’t one of those ECW moments with 50 tables, fire, and barbed wire, it was more than that. It was a display of athleticism that saw someone fly from one end of the ring to another for the first time. The crowd reaction and Joey Styles helped make this memorable and it’s one of my favorite ECW moments of all time.

3. Kurt Angle and Benoit Fly
Anytime someone dives off a cage it’s a spectacular sight to see. Someone flying from that elevation shows guts and the drive to entertain the audience. But diving off the cage and missing your target just elicits an OMG reaction. That’s exactly what happened when Angle missed his moonsault on Benoit, and Benoit missed his diving headbut on Angle. I’m sure everyone remembers the match, it’s one of Raw’s best matches of all time. It was an amazing sight to witness, and shows what lengths these two athletes would go to entertain the fans.

2. Edge’s Flaming Spear
Edge and Mick Foley stole the show with one single move. Not to say there match wasn’t amazing without it, but the flaming spear put it over the top. WWE hasn’t been one to go as extreme as ECW or CZW, but when they do, they do it right. The move was not only impressive and shocking, but it had meaning and wasn’t just done to get a reaction, and that is what truly makes a moment great. The two sold it so well, and it was such an amazing spot that will be remembered for years to come.

1. Undertaker Tosses Foley
I don’t think there is any question that this is the biggest holy shit moment of all time. Mick Foley, the sick bastard, took a fall from 20 feet in the air onto an announcers table, came back, fell through the cell whilst a chair knocked him on the head, and the crazy bastard finished the match. This man is a god! Not only is he a god but he will do anything to excite a crowd, even if he puts his own life on the line, and for that, this moment earns the right to be the biggest holy shit moment in history.

All right guys, great lists from both. Who will walk away the winner? Will it be the Champ, Renevious, or will RatedATB be able to dethrone the champ? It is up to you guys! Make sure to vote on who you agree more with. Also, keep an eye out for the next WBC as it will be stepping away from the top 5 format for the foreseeable future and instead be going in a different direction. It should be awesome, so keep your eyes out!

Submit "WBC #6 Top 5 Holy SH!T Moments!" to Digg Submit "WBC #6 Top 5 Holy SH!T Moments!" to del.icio.us Submit "WBC #6 Top 5 Holy SH!T Moments!" to StumbleUpon Submit "WBC #6 Top 5 Holy SH!T Moments!" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Ahh Crap this is hard. To me, it's whether the spear through the flaming table, or the spear off the ladder was better. I'm going to say RatedAB, just because I saw that one live
    I'm going with ATB for the fact that there is so much more to a Holy Sh!t moment than just a wicked bump. He included that by highlighting the fact that when we see these guys pull off such athletic moves that it makes us understand why they are in this business. I've seen so many bumps that made me think "Holy shit, he's dead." But there aren't as many moments that make me think, "Holy shit, did he really just pull that off?"
    rated atb wins it...
    Renevious.
    Two great lists, but Im going with the champ, Renevious.
    Renevious again!! that KOR match with Angle and Shaneo was the match of the year in my opinion!! Dude got thrown through glass the first attempt not so much...but successfully on the second attempt and still manganed to put on a show!! that is one match i still watch over and over again!
    I would have put TLC II higher on the list. It's such a prolific match. I pick Renevious.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.