View RSS Feed

RomanFlare

Kurt Angle has Always been Right About 'Mania

Rate this Entry
While I cannot find an exact quote from the master of Twatter, it goes something like this. "I won at Wrestlemania! That counts twice!" And Kurt Angle is correct if not underselling it. This quote symbolizes exactly how I feel about two of the best matches on the card last night--the Winner will forever be the better man. The losers of these matches will never, EVER be able to make the fans forget their loss, no matter how many times they go over. I am, of course, speaking of CM Punk vs Chris Jericho and Rock v. Cena.

CM Punk (C) vs Chris Jericho -- WWE Title Match

Starting with the one you have to read a bit into (and because I want to keep the polarizing match for later), I feel very strongly that in WWE Mythos, CM Punk will forever be better than Chris Jericho. No string of victories or title changes could convince me otherwise. Mark the date in history--on April 1st, 2012, CM Punk surpassed Jericho in everything but longevity.

And as my proof, I turn to the match itself. With the (sometime awkward) build up of the match, from Jericho's return and failures to win at the Royal Rumble and Elimination Chamber, and the great ability of the two talents in the ring, this match had all the makings for a classic. And it was a classic. With a weird late stipulation that only seemed to be there for some early drama, the match went back and forth. Technical prowess and counters ruled the day as the two went at it. But in the end, Punk outlasted Jericho--including a nasty suplex-powerslam hybrid from the apron to the floor, several Walls of Jericho, and a CodeBreaker spot (that is getting supremely dull, to be honest*)--and made Jericho tap to the Vise.

Wait, what?

Jericho tapped.

This is why CM Punk will forever be better than Chris Jericho. Jericho came back, basically aiming straight for Punk, and yet he tapped on the grandest stage of them all. In the current era of the WWE, tapping is rare. Submitting to your opponent is dozens of times worse than just getting pinned or KO'd. It means you consciously gave up. And because Jericho tapped on such a large stage and couldn't make Punk tap after all that back abuse, Jericho has a superior.

Rock vs Cena

I will reserve my ultimate judgement of the finish--I don't want to be another blog that spews shit one way or the other. I liked the match--I thought the pacing was fun, I thought they made a great move by having two finishes in the middle of the match and then continue almost like they never happened, and I thought both were shown pretty resilient and powerful. I'm even happy with Cena's ability to play the pseudo-heel of the match.

But John Cena is forever second banana to the Rock--End of Discussion. John Cena could whip and abuse the Rock for another year, then squash him in a 5 second I Quit match at next year's 'Mania, and the Rock would still be higher on the pantheon. All the talk about how he needed that win. But he couldn't do it. He lost to a Man in only his second wrestling match in years. He lost in his opponent's home town. And nothing can erase that memory. Nothing can erase that night.

Ladies and Gentlemen, John Cena's ceiling has been found. John Cena can never surpass the Rock. Ever.

*CM Punk corner springboard into counter has been used like crazy whenever CM Punk has a big time match. Randy Orton RKO'd him from it at last Mania--a spot featured in ALL THREE of their PPV matches--and I do believe John Cena countered it too. I know it looks cool, but it's boring me at this point.

Submit "Kurt Angle has Always been Right About 'Mania" to Digg Submit "Kurt Angle has Always been Right About 'Mania" to del.icio.us Submit "Kurt Angle has Always been Right About 'Mania" to StumbleUpon Submit "Kurt Angle has Always been Right About 'Mania" to Google

Updated 04-02-2012 at 03:10 PM by Frank

Categories
Thoughts and Opinions

Comments

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Interesting... So what about all the other matches at Mania that have taken place that others have won and lost? Hogan vs Warrior, HBK vs Angle and Stone Cold vs The Rock (twice) are just examples. Have you forgotten that it took The Rock 3 tries to beat Stone Cold at the biggest stage of them all? And now he is calling himself the greatest of all time? And you are saying that Cena will never surpass the Rock? So the Rock or Cena has never lost at Mania?

The Rock lost at 3 straight Manias before and he has never beaten the Undertaker or HBK. So The Rock beating Cena once doesn't mean a thing, even though it was At Mania. The Rock hasn't surpassed Hogan, Flair, Bret, Macho, HBK, Taker or even HHH as far as ring value or championship value is concerned.

Jericho was just there to have an angle match with Punk plain and simple. HBK and HHH has tapped at mania before, more than once. Both to the same man, Cena. So according to your logic, what does that tell you?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.