View RSS Feed

bearkg88

WBC #5 Top 5 United States Champion

Rate this Entry
What is up everyone? For those that don't know, Mr Boss is no longer able to run with the Wrestling Blog Challenge, and asked me if I wanted to pick up the ball. That is what I am doing On this weeks edition, the champion Renevious will defend his title against the likes of Akbar. The topic is the top 5 United States Champions. We are going to start with the challenger, Akbar.

Top 5 United States Champions

Akbar

The United States Championship has been around for about 40 years. It’s been part of all the big promotion from the NWA to WCW to WWE, Right now; it is under the promotion of WWE so it is called WWE United States championships obviously. Lot of people would argue that over the past couple of years, WWE has completely ruined the status of the belt and with the lack of importance put on the person holding the belt, people do not care about it anymore. Regardless in its glory days, the belt was held by future legends and has given great feuds and matches. Anyways here goes with my list…

5. John Cena
​Probably my favourite US champion. The reason john cena is the face of the company is that he proved the impact he can have as champion. I remember him lifting Big Show for the FU at Wrestlemania 20 to win the US championship. The crowd loved him and the whole craze about the ‘chain gang’ was super over with the fans and eventually would lead to his push for the big one. The DR of thugonomics was at is best while going for the US title and that is why he is number 5 on my list.

4. Lex Luger
The longest reigning US champion of all time with a combined number of days of 948 days. People are usually negative about lex lugers wrestling and how stiff he was but the fact his still remembered to this day as a top superstar shows his impact. And for that reason he is number 4 on my list.

3. Chris Benoit
Forgetting his past, Chris Benoit was a great exciting champion, he poured his life out in every match he participated in, and he treated any belt he held like it meant the world with him. He won his first title in WCW by defeating David flair and then he would go on to have a couple more reigns until leaving WCW and going to WWE. Benoit as a wrestler added to the prestige of the title for me, especially in his time with the WWE feuding with Eddie Guerrero and Orlando Jordan. And for that reason he is number 3 on my list.

2. Ric Flair
​
Number of reigns – 5 adding to a total number of days of 626. One of the greatest feuds in wrestling history between him and Ricky Steamboat was for the United States championship. On of the greatest wrestlers was making noises before he won the world championship in various promotions and that was done by him challenging for the United States title. And that is why he is number 2 in my list.

1. Magnum T.A
A huge wrestler who had it all but with a tragic ending. His feud with nikita koloff is regarded as one of the most intense rivalries and it happened while both were chasing the US title. It was under Jim Crockett promotion NWA. Most people were surprised as how popular he was as US champion and the future seemed bright for him. He seemed to have it all but a bad car accident left him out for a while and virtually ruined his career, but it was while he was champion the effect and impact he had has led me to choose him as my number 1 US champion.

All right. Now on to the champs list.

Renevious

Hey guys, what's up? Renevious here again. I would just, as always, like to start by thanking all my readers and especially those who have voted for me to be your champion. It really means a lot that you enjoy my blogs, and I hope to keep you entertained for a long time. With that being said, let's get this show on the road...

Top 5 United States Champions
Let me just start out by saying that this was an extremely difficult list to come up with. With the deep history of this title and the ridiculous number of champions in this lineage, picking a top 5 was no easy task. I would also like to mention that you may notice some very memorable names not seen in my list below. I assure you this is intentional and not me forgetting someone. I wanted to make sure that the people I chose were especially known and remembered for their time spent as US Champion. If this title (as it was not a world title) was more of a stepping stone to a much larger career, then you will probably not see that person listed. For example, I'm not going to put someone like Ric Flair in my top 5 even though he's tied for the record of most title reigns with 5. The guy is a 16 time world champion. His legacy is not the US title. The same goes for someone like Goldberg, who was much better known for his undefeated streak and pwning Hulk Hogan for the WHC while he was still holding his US belt. Once again, the US title for him was just a stepping stone. Now that all that has been clarified, let's get down to it...

5. Magnum T.A.
This guy truly is one of wrestling's tragic stories. For those of you who aren't familiar with this figure from the past, let me just sum it up by saying that he was being groomed to be NWA's answer to Hulk Hogan. He had the power mullet, the great physique, the hairy chest, and the handlebar mustache. He was everything that a man would strive to be back in the late 70's/early 80's Burt Reynolds/Tom Selleck days. And on top of all of that, the guy could actually wrestle. If it weren't the untimely end to his career due to that unfortunate automobile accident, he could've easily been the face of the business. Now we'll never know the heights that this perfect example of limitless potential could've reached.

4. Scott Hall
Now I know WCW was the period of Scott Hall's career where it became painfully obvious to us fans that he had some personal demons. And we all know that he tried his best to find the answer to them at the bottom of a bottle. But when this man was straight, there was no one in the business that had a better combination of size, power, charisma, and in-ring ability. People write blogs every day about guys like Jake Roberts, Mr. Perfect, and Ted Dibiase and how they were the best wrestlers to never be world champion. Well, I'd put Scott Hall up there with all those guys any day of the week. In WWF, he practically made an art-form out of making the Intercontinental Title look as prestigious as the World Title. And in WCW when he was US Champ, it wasn't much different. Big Kev might've been the one in the nWo with all the backstage pull, but every week on Nitro when it was "survey time" we all knew who REALLY had the crowd in the palm of his hand.

3. Chris Benoit
Now I know this man's legacy will forever be marred by the tragic ending, and I'm not here to argue that. But damn, what a match this guy would put on every single night. You just knew no matter who he was fighting, what the event was, or whether or not it was a title match, Chris Benoit was going to put 150% into that ring. He really was like a clone of the Dynamite Kid in his physique and his wrestling style. And let me tell you, if you're going to mimic someone's style, you couldn't pick a much better example than the Dynamite Kid. Another interesting fact is that Chris Benoit is also the only person on my list to hold both the WCW US Championship and the WWE US Championship. If you're a fan of quality wrestling matches, look no further than Chris Freakin' Benoit.

2. Stunning Steve Austin
Before you say anything about me going against my own rules of the list here, let me explain. Yes, it is obvious that Steve Austin's time in WCW and as US Champ wasn't even a fraction of a drop in the bucket of what he would later become, but he is an exception. For one, comparing "Stunning" Steve Austin to "Stone Cold" Steve Austin is just apples and oranges. It's almost like they're not even the same person. Austin had an already impressive career as Stunning Steve before he ever even left for ECW and then WWF. And more importantly, when he was US Champion, he made it matter. He was so smug and so vile, you just couldn't wait to see some babyface come and put him in his place. But he just kept winning. Whether it was just a dirty victory or an intentional count-out or DQ, the man knew how to hold on to a belt. And most of all, he knew how to draw the best heat of any heel on the roster. In his most evil days, I didn't even hate Ric Flair as much as Stunning Steve, but that was the beauty of it. He did exactly what he was supposed to do, and he did it better than anyone.

1. Lex Luger
If there was ever anyone who was the living embodiement of the US Title, it was Lex Luger. He has held the title a record tying 5 times and a combined total of damn near 3 years! He also holds the record of the single longest US Title run at 17 months. Sure, he's been WCW World Champion, but Lex Luger owned that US title belt back in the late 80's. He had a nice run as one of the infamous Four Horsemen (I hope to see him at the induction ceremony) and an even more memorable run as a face fueding against the horsemen. His matches with Flair were nothing less than historic, and his time spent teaming with Sting was badass. Many people like to criticize Luger for being stiff in the ring and having a limited moveset, but that wasn't much different than so many others from that era. The man was built like a god, and once he got you in that torture rack, you can just forget about it. He did such an awesome job of playing both heel and face, and he even had the balls to enter into that extremely controversial and racist storyline with Ron Simmons. That was definitely the type of edginess and controversy that was way ahead of its time back then. There will never be another US Champion like Lex Luger.

Thank you everyone for reading, and I really hope you enjoyed both my list and my reasons for selected the guys that I did. I really wish I could've put some more recent champions on here, but it's just a shame that this historic title just doesn't have the prestige it once did. Guys like Daniel Bryan and MVP were excellent champions, but the guys listed above were just cut from a different cloth. I really hope one day soon we get to see the United States Championship returned to its original glory, but until then, I'll have to stick with the classics. Anyway, thanks again for reading and until next time, God Bless...

All right everyone, there are both peoples lists. Make sure to cast your votes for whose list you agree with below. Also, if you are interested in taking part in WBC, shoot me a message and we can set something up!

Submit "WBC #5 Top 5 United States Champion" to Digg Submit "WBC #5 Top 5 United States Champion" to del.icio.us Submit "WBC #5 Top 5 United States Champion" to StumbleUpon Submit "WBC #5 Top 5 United States Champion" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wow, MR Boss has been relieved of his duty's. I do like your blogs Bearkg88, so maybe you can do wonders for WBC. Anyway, I vote for the newest challenger Akbar, because he has Ric Flair on his list. One of the best US Champions, and Renevious has Stunner Steve which, I think isn't really one of the top 5 best US Champs of all time. I once again say Akbars got my vote.
    Renevious does it again.... even thogh the lists are similar the fact that Scott Hall was mentioned and the way his "character" made the title look in Renevious words "as prestigious as the world title" makes Hall one of the all time greats, its sad to see what has addiction done to him because there was no one besides maybe Shawn Michales and i would put the Ultimate Warrior in there as well that had made a lesser "title" just as important than the World Title.

even though Flair is on the other list i consider Flair one of the all time best "WORLD" champions

Updated 03-28-2012 at 04:15 PM by chico41
    Renevious all the way. The lists were very similar, but Renevious' writing far surpasses. Plus, Scott Hall. 'Nuff said.
    I can't decide, Akbar's 5-2 is better, but Renevious 1 is better, sorry guys, I got nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Piper
    I can't decide, Akbar's 5-2 is better, but Renevious 1 is better, sorry guys, I got nothing.
    ............. -_____-
    Renevious --> He's blog is written well, no extra amount of repetition of words. He has no redundancy and reasons out directly to the point.
    The lists had a lot in common, but this is BLOG wars and renevious' writing is just plain awesome. This guy has proven once again he's a wrestling encyclopedia, complete with all the details. Even if you don't agree with his choices, you have to respect his "why" and delivery. Renevios all the way.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.