View RSS Feed

StraightEDGeSavior

Why RAW Ratings Continue to Suffer

Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average.
For being one the most anticipated Wrestlemanias, Raw has done a terrible job building this year's mania and the RAW ratings are suffering. I believe that the ratings are blowing because of the quality of the show. I mean it is top notch as far as a professional production quality, but just the way they format the show really irritates me and probably bores the occasional viewer. The way they've been formatting raw doesn't work for several reasons:

1. Commentary
Cole and Jerry's commentary is total fucking garbage and they don't do a good enough job transitioning the show...they'll preview the next segment and it usually consists of a radical opinion of Cole, and/or an awkward one liner by lawler. Their commentary is FAR from epic when great moments happen because Cole is either shitting his pants, or ripping on the segment/wrestler and jerry either rips on cole or says another awkward, unintelligent, childish one liner. What happened to the excitement and realness on commentary when good ol' JR was screaming "MY GOD ITS STONE COLD! STONE COLD! HES STUNNING ANYTHING THAT BY GOD MOVES"...now we get cole's nazally yelp "OH MY HES HERE.....THE ROCK..AND THE ROCKS ARRIVED.." followed by an awkward silence and Jerry's classic "Oh boy here we go"
Everyone hates Cole, but I think Jerry is the one of the two that needs to hang it up...overall commentary is underwhelming, and down right annoying

2. Matches
I think the match quality (especially on a typical RAW) has completely gone to hell and every match despite the wrestler pretty much goes the same. Face starts off hot, heel catches ONE nice move (usually the same nice move they do every week) and then we get 10 minutes of the heel beating on the face, doing the same 5 moves they do every week (the miz's neckbreaker combos are a great example). After the usual brutally botched 45 second headlock, the face comes back with momentum, gives them their moveset and FINALLY we get a different result from this point forward in the match...I mean I am aware that that is how wrestling has always been to an extent, but the in ring product has gotten so generic and there arent ANY classics on Raw anymore. This is partly why people get bored of watching...and if you're going to make a match go through a commercial break at least have ONE good spot in the match where a commerical is appropriate. 5-10 years ago commericals would cue after an incredible acrobatic/skilled move that changes the pace of the match...now at best we get a cm punk/truth/kofi suicide dive that looks the same every single week...but if you have the big show and d bry fighting and you go to commerical after d bry gets headbutted out of the ring? who the fuck is gonna not turn the channel when there is no urgency to get back to the match? I mean I wouldn't, and I'm sure none of the people reading this would...but your occasional viewer is not going to patiently wait to see the aftermatch of a match that has happened 15 times in the last month (big show/dbry, christian/orton, any mixed tag match) that is going to basically have the same spots every match (although i never got sick of orton/christian).

3. VIDEO PACKAGES
Now this shit pisses me off. Don't get me wrong, I love video packages and think WWE does them very well and in many ways it is one of their forte's in the business. However, you don't need to jam the same 3 segments down our throat that we've seen 10 times. I felt so bad for anyone who wasted money ordering the royal rumble when they played 2 six minute long video packages of Rock/Cena that they CONTINUED to show us again and again for the next 3 raws. Now I'm the biggest wrestling fan I know and even I found myself turning the repetitive video packages. Why aren't people keeping their TV's on Raw during wrestlemania time? because we are getting the same fucking bullshit video packages over and over again about storylines that aren't advancing (HHH vs Taker for example).

I hope someone sees this because you probably share the same views as I do, but if wwe continues to give its fan's generic "entertainment" with bad commentary, shitty, boring, and predictable matches, and the same video packages that don't explain anything new, then I see ratings to continually decline...

Submit "Why RAW Ratings Continue to Suffer" to Digg Submit "Why RAW Ratings Continue to Suffer" to del.icio.us Submit "Why RAW Ratings Continue to Suffer" to StumbleUpon Submit "Why RAW Ratings Continue to Suffer" to Google

Updated 03-23-2012 at 10:59 PM by Frank

Tags: mania, ratings, raw
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1. You nailed it

2. Ya' nailed it

3. YOU FREAKIN NAILED IT!

Great blog, as shown above, you nailed it. RAW all year has been lackluster matches, commentary, and promos (so many promos), mmm, mediocrity.
    Sir you are correect,particularly about the commentary. I miss old Jerry Lawler when he used to actually be funny. Cole overshadows everything. I just cant sit an watch an entire Raw straight through like I used to. I tune in for opening segments now,maybe come back in the middle to see if any good matches are happening (usually not) then tune in at the end and even then i dont really hang around for that anymore
    RAW has actually done a pretty good job at buliding Mania. Don't know what you're talking about.

1: No.
    2: No.
    3. Not really.
    this is the best build up to mania in ages there actually building every feud each week n its all a full thought out plan ratings dont mean so much anymore i just record everything n watch it when im free n im sure many others do same as ppv buys im sure alot of people stream for free so take ratings with a pinch of salt
    Ok I'll give you commentary, and to an extent the video packages but there really isn't anything wrong with match quality, save for the divas. It's called psychology and the purpose for having a heel beat down a face is to build up interest for the face to come back, it's how it's always been. You can't just have a string of moves for no rhyme or reason, that isn't wrestling. In fact Raw used to be a jobber show before the attitude era, so today is actually really good compared to back then. I think Raw usually puts out a decent match or two every week. Nice well thought out blog but I sorely disagree with your number 2.
    Or it could just be the simple fact that wrestling just isn't that popular anymore.
    these are more just the reason why you dont like watching it...WWE is great right now, in terms of quality much better than last year, yet this years ratings are lower than last years. the reason why WWE is mainly losing ratings has been discussed before and they are...to many tv channels, hard competiton on at the same time like football, people working at that time and many more...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.