View RSS Feed

Renevious

The Lost Gems, Vol. 2: Wrestlemania VII

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Hey guys, Renevious here again. I'm back this time to talk about another Wrestlemania that doesn't get the shine that I personally believe it deserves. Once again, this is strictly my opinion, and I know a lot of you out there don't necessarily care too much for this one at all, but it happens to be one of my personal favorites. So let's get started, shall we...

Wrestlemania VII (March 24, 1991)
We as a nation were experiencing a period of extreme patriotism. Everyone seemed to have those "Support Our Troops" signs in their yards and on their vehicles, not to mention the American flag t-shirts everyone was wearing. We had just kicked Saddam's ass back to Iraq in the shortest war in American history, and we couldn't be any more proud. I, for one, was two months away from my 12th birthday, and I was just pumped to see Sgt. Slaughter get his ass whooped. As much as I hate Hulk Hogan (and always have), I guess I was following the old saying of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend." Because I didn't care who it was, it was time to take that turn coat down, and if it had to be Hulk Hogan, then so be it.

One of the biggest criticisms this ppv gets is that it was just too many insignificant short matches wrapped around a couple main ones (shout out to ATB right here, lol). I happen to disagree with this. I love it when they try to jam a ton of matches into one card like that. It's like, I don't care too much about a build up, but let's see who's coming out next. I mean, it opened with an actually very entertaining match where the little bitty Rockers overcame the powerhouse team of Haku and the Barbarian. It may not be the most realistic thing in the world, but it was the perfect way to get the crowd pumped and already cheering for the good guys.

From there we got to see fun little matches like the Texas Tornado vs. Dino Bravo and Davey Boy Smith vs. the Warlord. It was good stuff. Everyone knows that back then Wrestlemania was the place where good finally triumphs, so it was no surprise that the babyfaces were winning all of these warm up matches. Then there was one match that didn't seem so significant at the time, but it was the pebble in the ocean that grew into the biggest tidal wave the business has ever seen. That's right. This was the night where the Undertaker went 1-0 at Wrestlemania. Like I said, it didn't seem like much at the time, but it wasn't long before we would grow to appreciate the impact that little 4 minute squash match against a hall of famer had. I think listening to Bobby Heenan give his color commentary of this match was a perfect example of how historic it was. Just go back and watch it and listen to Heenan talk at the end of how the Undertaker took Superfly Jimmy Snuka and just destroyed him. It was evident right then that this was the beginning of something huge.

Then that takes us to the best and most memorable match of the night. The Ultimate Warrior and Macho King Randy Savage. My friends, they don't make matches like this anymore. There is no one walking the earth right now in wrestling who can make a fan as interested in a match as what these two men did 21 years ago. It built up for months all the way to a loser leaves the WWF match. We sat (on the very edge of our seats, mind you) and watched intently as every single blow back and forth was dealt. I mean, to see Savage come off the top rope and the Warrior catch him in mid air, just to place him down on his feet and slap him across the face...we knew we were in for a war. And a war is what we got. You can say what you want about Warrior's wrestling ability, but that match was perfection. Then it was capped off with what was probably the most emotional moment in the history of wrestling. By seeing Savage and Elizabeth reunited after all that time, there wasn't a dry eye in the arena (or on my face for that matter).

Now I admit, I was pretty bummed to see the Nasty Boys get that cheap victory over the Hart Foundation, costing them the tag titles. But I guess it was necessary to lay the groundwork for one of the most impressive singles careers in professional wrestling to follow. I mean, if the Hart Foundation hadn't gone their separate ways at some point in time, then we never would've gotten some of best matches in history from Bret "The Hitman" Hart. Small price to pay if you ask me. Also, it was pretty satisfying to see Power & Glory get totally pwned by LOD in less than a minute. Damn those guys were the shit! No team stood a chance against the Legion of Doom.

Finally, we have our actual main event. After being on the emotional roller coaster from Savage and Warrior, it was time to just see the good ole USA kick some ass and take the belt back home. But Slaughter didn't make it easy. That image of Hulk laid out and Slaughter laying the Iraqi flag over him to make the cover was burned into all of us. But then we got to see Hogan kick out, tear that flag in half, Hulk up, and put an end to Slaughter's title reign. I admit, I marked out pretty hard for that, and I can't stress enough how much of a Hulk Hogan fan I was not. It was just an awesome moment to be a WWF fan, and more importantly, it was an awesome time to be an American.

Thanks for reading, everyone. I hope you enjoyed it. Until next time, God Bless...

Submit "The Lost Gems, Vol. 2: Wrestlemania VII" to Digg Submit "The Lost Gems, Vol. 2: Wrestlemania VII" to del.icio.us Submit "The Lost Gems, Vol. 2: Wrestlemania VII" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Lost Gems, Vol. 2: Wrestlemania VII" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Nice blog man, after reading this I can see the appeal a show like this would have. I still say I like to see matches given time but man sometimes those 5-7 minute matches aren't too bad. I guess it just depends on whos in the match. Nice read dude!
    Quote Originally Posted by RatedATB
    Nice blog man, after reading this I can see the appeal a show like this would have. I still say I like to see matches given time but man sometimes those 5-7 minute matches aren't too bad. I guess it just depends on whos in the match. Nice read dude!
    Thanks man. I appreciate it.
    I strongly believe that the main event of Wrestlemania 7 was supposed to be Ultimate Warrior vs. Macho Man Randy Savage for the WWF championship. The buildup for it was beginning but Macho Man I guess suffered an injury before the 1991 Royal Rumble. However Hogan wanted to wrestle Sgt. Slaughter and obviously he knew that would put him in yet another Wrestlemania main event instead of lettin others be in it, which was why Sgt. Slaughter returned outta the blue after 5 years away (simply from writing a letter to Vince) and Macho Man got "injured."

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.