View RSS Feed

wrestlingfan66513

Blog Wars 16: Top 5 Intercontinental Champions

Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
Welcome to another edition of Blog Wars. Last time akbar came out over RatedATB by a few votes to win the title. This week bearkg88 attempts to dethrone him and claim his first Blog Wars title. Here is this weeks list
Top 5 Intercontinental Champions

The IC title may not be as strong today as it was a few years ago, but this title still carries a lot of historic moments.
Criteria: Quality of Reigns, Memorable matches, Reign length, Number of reigns

bearkg88

What is up everyone? This weeks topic is Top 5 Intercontinental Champions. I’m going to get right into my list.

#5 Honky Tonk Man
Originally I was not going to put HTM on this list, but the more I thought about it, I felt he did deserve to be in the list. While he only had 1 title reign, it was the longest single reign by any person to date with a total of 454 days as champion. HTM would have memorable feuds/matches with the likes of Randy Savage, Rick The Dragon Steamboat, and Brutus The Barber Beefcake. HTM was known for getting himself counted out and disqualified as a means to retain his title. His lengthy title reign would come to an end at the first ever SummerSlam in 1988, when The Ultimate Warrior came out as HTM mystery opponent, beating him in 31 seconds.

#4 Pedro Morales
I picked Pedro for #4 for a few reasons. He held the Intercontinental title 2 times, spanning over a total of 619 days, that is the longest time combined from any superstar in WWE/WWF history. When Pedro won his first IC title, he became the first ever Triple Crown champion in WWE/WWF history. He was also the first man to hold the IC title twice. Pedro would also have memorable matches with the likes of Don Muraco, and Superstar Billy Graham while holding this title.

#3 Rob Van Dam

I picked RVD for #3 for a few different reasons. He held the Intercontinental title a total of 6 times, and a total of 211 days. Some of his more memorable matches involving the title were the unification match with ladder match with Jeff Hardy unifying the European and IC titles, his ladder match in his feud with Eddie Guerrero, and one that I will always remember, is his title defense against Jericho on an episode of Raw where with the help of Bischoff, Jericho won, only for Stone Cold Steve Austin to order Jericho to face RVD in a rematch at that exact moment in a steel cage match.

#2 Shawn Michaels

Shawn Michaels would win the Intercontinental Championship a total of 3 times, once from The British Bulldog, a second time from Marty Jannetty and a third and final time from Jeff Jarrett. HBK held the Intercontinental title a total of 406 days. He would have memorable feuds/matches with the likes of Scott Hall aka Razor Ramon twice in ladder matches, as well as others. Whenever you hear the words Intercontinental title, HBK, Scott Hall, or ladder match, any 2 of those words in the same sentence, you will always think of Wrestlemania X.

#1 Chris Jericho
​
The Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla has held the title a total of 9 times, more than anyone else in the WWE. He has also held it for a total of 318 days. His first title win was against Chyna at Armegeddon. Jericho would win his 9th Intercontinental Championship from Rey Mysterio at Extreme Rules in 2009. Some of his most memorable feuds/matches involving the title include the triple threat match involving Chris Benoit and Kurt Angle at Wrestlemania 2000, his ladder match with Chris Benoit at Royal Rumble 2001, and a ladder match with Christian at Unforgiven in 2004.

akbar
Criteria: Memorable title defences, length of reign, number of reigns and made their biggest impact while going for IC title.
Doing this list was as hard if not harder than doing one about ‘the greatest world champion’, there have been so many great Intercontinental champions and I’m pretty sure that no matter what top 5 I or anyone do, it’ll never have a unanimous agreement of everyone and there will always be a dispute, but regardless I will give you a list of my top 5 IC champions and hopefully the reasons I give are justifiable enough.

5. Razor Ramon

Love him or hate him or even loathe him, forgetting his personal life and issues, Ramon was a force of nature upon the wrestling world, I’m sorry but his gimmick to me was one of the greatest and most innovative. Anyways one thing to remember from his IC title run is one of the greatest matches of all time with HBK in the ladder match. Most people remember HBK shining in that match but the person who actually won and retained the IC title was Razor Ramon. He held the title on 4 occasions with a total of 438 days. Spending most of his great career chasing the IC title and he definitely added value to that title and that is why he is 5th in my list.
4. Shawn Michaels

My favorite and the greatest wrestler of all time, I just had to include him in this list because of all the great things he has done for the business and before he achieved pure stardom he had a couple of excellent runs as the IC title. He proved that small guys can put on great matches and steal the show (yes pun intended) constantly. HBK redefined the prestige of the title when wrestling was a bit on a downturn. As the champion he had great matches with Razor Ramón, Jeff Jarrett and Bret Hart. The reason I didn’t put him higher on the list is because he is mostly remembered for the other great things he has done and that is why the great HBK is 4th in my list.

3. Chris Jericho

The greatest intercontinental champion of recent times, his also held the title more times than anyone else in the history with 9 reigns. For that he should be in anybody’s top 5 lists. I know his reign at times it felt like he was just winning the title for a good month then losing then wining it again, which kind of downgrades the title, but with the superb matches he put on and his exciting charisma, Chris Jericho helped restore the pride of what was left of the IC championship. He had great feuds with Rey Mysterio, Chris Benoit and Shelton Benjamin. All were great matches mainly because Y2J is just an awesome wrestler and I remember him most because of his IC title runs and that is why he is number 3 on my list.

2. Mr Perfect

The fact that he has never been the WWF champion and yet his regarded as a legend and amongst one of the greats says a lot about Curt Henning. A man never to botch any of his moves and always putting on the perfect (yes pun intended) archetype wrestling match every young wrestler should look up to and learn from. Let me talk about his IC title run…he held the title on 2 occasions with total number days of 406. He treated all of his matches for the IC title like it was the world championship with great matches in the early 90’s. This is why Curt Henning’s is my second greatest IC champion of all time.

1. Randy ‘Macho Man’ Savage
​
One of the greatest most celebrated and respected wrestlers of all time. He held the belt for 414 days, second to only The Honky Tonk Man in average length per title reign. His excellent match at Wrestlemania 3 was for the IC title that culminated from a great build up to their epic feud which now is considered one of the greatest. He is from the era where the intercontinental title meant as much as the world title, it was fought with prestige and the Macho Man helped the title to be at the status it is or once was revered, because of his great feuds, defences and his mannerism while he was IC champion, it is why I have chosen him as my number one IC champion.

So there is my list, one thing I want to add is the man who held the title for the longest was the Honky Tonk Man but I didn’t put him on my list because, I can’t stand wrestlers that always win by cheating and never ever put on a good match. Just because you draw heat for being a twat he gets a push, but I don’t regard him as great champion although a lot of you might disagree with me. Thanks for reading everyone.

Great lists from both guys and let's hope we can have more champions of that caliber in the future. Remember to vote for who you think should win at the bottom.

Submit "Blog Wars 16: Top 5 Intercontinental Champions" to Digg Submit "Blog Wars 16: Top 5 Intercontinental Champions" to del.icio.us Submit "Blog Wars 16: Top 5 Intercontinental Champions" to StumbleUpon Submit "Blog Wars 16: Top 5 Intercontinental Champions" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    akbar wins for me OOOO YEAH!!!!!!
    Akbar gets my vote
    bearkg88 gets my vote, because he picked the Honky Tonk Man, bottom line.

Numbers don't lie and he held the IC championship longer that anyone else in a single reign. Also WHEN the IC championship actually had more prestige then it does now. If I was making a list he would be #1.

It killed everybody when the HTM would not lose the belt.
    Updated 03-14-2012 at 03:37 PM by Playboy Stevie V
    Bearkg, although Razor is one of my personal favorites.
    in my opinion akbar nailed it, they would be my top 5 too
    bearkg88

Nuff said
    Akbar got this one. How can you have a list without Savage? Even the WWE ranked him as the #1 IC Champ of all time.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.