View RSS Feed

MR Boss

WBC Tournament2:Top 5 Woman Wrestlers

Rate this Entry
[COLOR=#333333][B][FONT=Verdana]Today in WBC we have guest host moderator Kashdinero! I repeat we have guest host one of the moderators of EWN, Kashdinero. Kashdinero agreed to say his thoughts of Woman Wrestling, so read on to find out what he said!
[/FONT]
Today we also have bloggers Tall, and ArtfulDodger with a top 5 list about Woman Wrestlers. Vote who has the best list, so they can move on in the Tournament. [/B]

[B]Top 5 Woman Wrestlers[/B]

[B]Tall List[/B]
[FONT=Verdana]My list is based around three key factors:[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]1 – Influence – Did they have a great influence on female wrestlers today?[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]2 – Credibility – Female wrestling was always second string to male wrestling, did this person give credibility to the female aspect of the sport?[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]3 – Legacy – Will this woman be remembered as a great champion and a great wrestler?[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]I also made sure not to just go with a list of modern female wrestlers. Sure the likes of Chyna and Ivory were good, but they were nothing compared to these women. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[B][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]5. Trish Stratus[/FONT][/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Trish Stratus is the perfect embodiment of a female talent that always pushed herself to be the best. When she debuted back in 2000 she was only popular for her looks, and the WWE booked her as a manager. It wasn’t until the Invasion angle that she took on more of a wrestling role within the company but rather than doing what some of the current divas do, which is very little, she worked hard to make herself not only a competent female wrestler, but a very good one. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]One of the key points that makes Stratus stand out from the others is that not only was she a good wrestler, she was charismatic. When she filled the heel role back in 2004 she made sure that the crowd was against her, and when she was in the face role, she made sure the crowd loved her.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[B]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]4. Mae Young[/FONT][/COLOR][/B]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Young is now almost ninety and her career is to say the least, is amazing. The influence that she had on other female wrestlers and the work she did in making them credible within a man’s business was incredible.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]She worked with Stu Hart’s promotion and opened the doors for female wrestlers in Canada, she was one of the first wrestlers to tour Japan after the Second World War and she in her mentoring role she trained the likes of the Fabulous Moolah to wrestle.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[B][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]3. Lita[/FONT][/COLOR][/B]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Now compared to Young, Lita may seem a little less amazing but the impact she’s had on female wrestling in the past few decades is second to none. She was without a doubt the first mainstream female wrestler to have the Lucha-Libre style and I remember watching the Attitude Era and thinking how brilliant and captivating she was to watch. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]She mixed having the diva looks with being a talented wrestler and it’s difficult to think of a better female wrestler in the past two decades. Perhaps more importantly is the effect she’s had on other divas. How many times have you heard her named as an inspiration by other divas? [/FONT][/COLOR]

[B][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]2. Fabulous Moolah[/FONT][/COLOR][/B]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Moolah first won the vacant World Women’s Championship and she held the title for over ten years under the name ‘Fabulous Moolah’, a name given to her by McMahon snr. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]She later became the first ever Undisputed Women’s World Champion and she was the first female wrestler ever to compete at MSG, which had banned women’s wrestling. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]As a champion she was really the Hulk Hogan of women’s wrestling, breaking the barriers down put up against women wrestling and also crossing the barriers into becoming a personality, appearing on chat shows etc. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[B][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]1. Mildred Burke[/FONT][/COLOR]
[/B]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]A member of both the Professional Wrestling Hall of Fame and the Wrestling Observer Hall of Fame, Burke paved the way for female wrestling in the US along with Moolah and Young. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]During the 1930’s she apparently wrestled over 200 men and only lost once and although she only wrestled for just over twenty years it is said that she held the Worlds Women’s Championship/NWA’s Women’s Championship for pretty much the entirety of her career. In the end the vacant title went to a battle royal which Moolah won. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Quite simply she was the greatest female wrestler of all time. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]-[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Do you think you can be the WBC Champion?[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Yes.

[B]ArtfulDodger List[/B]
[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana][B]5. Beth Phoenix[/B] - It was hard to put Beth in at 5. I was considering swapping her with Chyna. Beth is an amzing talent, who truly brought wrestling back to the womens division. The Glamazon had a very entertaining fued/ally relationship with Santino, which I loved every second of. Her teaming with Natalya really makes me wish that the WWE truly had a better womens division. I think we are all waiting for Nattie and Kharma to feud with Phoenix. She has a background in amateur wrestling, wrestled the indies for a while, and is now our champion. She deserves it. She's also the second women (behind Chyna) to ever enter into te Rumble. She's exactly what I look for in a womens wrestler. An all around solid performer.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUhd-LvuY4o[/URL]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana][B]4. Chyna[/B] - Despite her recent craziness, Chyna was a force to be reckoned with in the Attitude Era. She was a crossover wrestler, wrestling men and women, and maybe not the best technical wrestler, but she broke barriers. She was an enforcer, and thats a persona that she embodied during her time with DX. Then she came out with the Playboy issue in November of 2000, and that issue was a huge success. Here was this woman, with bigger biceps then most guys, who showed us that she was femanine. But enough about that. She was an IC title holder, a Womens Champion, the first woman to qualify for the King of The Ring, as well as the Rumble. [/FONT][/COLOR]
[URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_7KD6qqLjc[/URL]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana][B]3. Kharma[/B] aka Awesome Kong - First of all, bless her heart right now for dealing with a miscarriage. You know that you have a great talent when Austin gives you the thumbs up. This woman would scare the hell out of me if I was ever in a ring with her. She is not a diva, she is a straight up wrestler, and I love it. As we saw in the rumble, she has no problem mixing it up with the boys. Here is an awesome match between Natalya and Kharma that took place in Japan. [/FONT][/COLOR]
[URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcMpJZf5myA[/URL]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]She is just an instant favorite of mine. Everything she does just looks devastating.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_7KD6qqLjc[/URL]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana][B]2. Trish Stratus[/B] - Trish is an amazing talent. I still wonder how she does the "Matrix - Trinity bend over thing". In the video its around the 26 second mark. She had great feuds with Lita, Stacy, Tori, and Mickie James. Her high kick just looked brutal, and the Stratusfaction was just fun to watch. I would say that she was good at her promos. Her and Vinces little segment that made fun of the Monday Night Football opening is hilarious to this day.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsOlM5GSsBw[/URL]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana][B]1. Lita[/B] - Easily the number 1 female wrestler. She was an innovator for women, and wrestling together. I remember watching her perform a moonsault. I was thinking that I had never seen a woman do this. Watch the video, its a flawless moonsault. She was also an integral part of Team Extreme. She played a great heel and face. Not to mention, the live sex show with Edge.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2HQmO0I2zA[/URL]

[B]Kashdinero thoughts on today's Woman Wrestling scene[/B]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Hmm.. Well, my short answer would be that I am currently so underwhelmed by the current crop of female talent on my TV that the whole scene could go the way of the WWE Juniors division and I wouldn't bat an eyelid. But, seeing as this is my first blog (well, kinda, anyway.), I guess I'll have to elaborate a little...[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Here is Kash's thoughts on today's women's wrestling scene. Beware people, this won't be a fun read if you currently love the scene.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Now, as I gave up on the total-non-stop migraine that is TNA a little while ago, I can't honestly comment on the current KnockOut division, but KnockOuts like Angelina Love and Velvet Sky and ODB have always been hit and miss with me. On one hand, they have been known to put on OK to good matches, but due to the mind numbingly obnoxious booking that that division has had to suffer through ever since Scott D'Amore departed the creative team, I really find little other than a few Mickie James matches to swoon over, and the days of Gail Kim vs Awesome Kong main eventing Impact seem an awfully long time ago now. Sure the KO's are still an athletic bunch, and are mostly just as -and in most cases more- competent as their WWE counterparts, but at the end of the day, nothing they do these days is must see TV--unless we're talking about Miss Tesmachers arse, of course. The effort is there, but women wrestlers such as Mickie James, Tara, and Winter will never truly display what they're capable of week in-week out under the current horrendous climate in DixieVille.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Back over in WWE, things really couldn't be in a sorrier state if they tried. Maybe its because I'm getting a little too old for this, but I'm telling you the truth when I say that whenever theres a multi-diva match on Raw or SMACKDOWN! my mind refuses to accept what my eyes are seeing as something that's anywhere near entertaining. The cliched term clusterfuck is more often than not appropriate when describing the action, and the matches that are performed by these woefully inexperienced glamour model types expose the business in a way that Ric "I'm screaming at the top of my lungs and I don't even know what I'm talking about so I think I'll just blade myself and do a face flop" Flair ever could on his worst day. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]There are plenty of good to, uh, um, slightly better than good Divas, in the WWE, but -much like TNA- the below mediocre to awful way in which the division is booked is neither flattering to the hard working women of the number one wrestling promotion in the world, or satisfying to the paying fan in attendance/at home watching on cable/PPV. Good singles matches have also deteriorated since gals like Lita, Trish, and even Michelle McCool have departed (and gone on to live far more fulfilling lives than they did as a Diva), and todays Divas are not only weaker in terms of wrestling, but they are extremely lacking in the personality department too. Sure, Eve can hit a moonsault or two, and has upped her overall game recently, but there are so many aspects of the business that these Divas just either aren't being taught -such as working a crowd, or working a ground based submission affair- or just aren't being told to do on TV anymore, and it has left this long time fan indifferent to their performances. Sure, Beth Phoenix has many of the tools necessary to be a great worker, but give her a mic and I cringe more than would if I was watching an episode of The Office. Natalya is -in my opinion- far more entertaining and capable in the ring, but look at the awful "flatulence" gimmick she has been saddled with, and ask yourself if the powers that be in VinnieLand really give a "Sarven" (read Mick Foleys "Have a nice day" to get that reference) about the division.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Maybe I'm a little jaded as I have been spoilt by the hundreds of Joshi matches I've seen throughout the twenty two years I have been a wrestling fan, but there was a time when womens wrestling was taken seriously, and actually had a style that differed to what the men were doing, but nowadays its painfully obvious that to see a match like Alundra Blaze vs Bull Nakano: SummerSlam '95, or even Trish Stratus vs Melina: Raw 2006, won't be witnessed by anyone without access to YouTube, or an old DVD/VHS tape, on a mainstream wrestling show.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]The occasional gem may be found amongst the usual WrestleCrap that WWE/TNA devote three to four minutes of TV time to, but I'm long past wading through the shit to find them.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Kash's parting quote?[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]If you wanna watch some really good womens wrestling, then check out the all female indy wrestling promotion SHIMMER, or its UK equivalent, Pro Wrestling Eve, or even hunt down AJW's Dream Slam I & II (two back to back womens wrestling shows that put 99% of what you see today anywhere to shame) 'cause you ain't gonna get it from the likes of the clueless Bella Twins, the way over pushed Kelly Kelly, and the awkward looking Tamina.

[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Yeah, the WBC has really been collecting steam as of late. I very rarely read blogs, but when I do I always check out what's going on with MR Boss and the WBC!

[B]I hope you enjoyed this WBC. I got Kash, as a treat for you guys, so now it's your job to vote in the comment section between ArtfulDodger, and Tall who should move up in the WBC Tournament.[/B][/FONT][/COLOR]

Submit "WBC Tournament2:Top 5 Woman Wrestlers" to Digg Submit "WBC Tournament2:Top 5 Woman Wrestlers" to del.icio.us Submit "WBC Tournament2:Top 5 Woman Wrestlers" to StumbleUpon Submit "WBC Tournament2:Top 5 Woman Wrestlers" to Google

Updated 03-20-2012 at 11:58 AM by MR Boss

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I will have to vote for Tall...but this was a tough choice. Moolah has to be on a top 5 women's list...has to be so my vote for Tall is based on his list including Trish and Moolah, and I agree with the other 5 as deserving. Trish Stratus would be #2 for me with Moolah as #1 in the history for women's wrestling (and Lita probably #3). Karma has no business being on a list like this yet...she is a nice talent but has not proven herself in the major leagues yet...in 5 or 10 years she might be.
    I vote for tall. It's a shame though that during these Women Wrestling blogs that I've seen lately, nobody ever mentions Madusa Miceli. She carried the Woman's division in the late 80's and early 90's. I feel she gets shafted a lot.
    Agreed, Stevie.. As Alundra Blaze, Madusa WAS the women's division.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.