View RSS Feed

Rated_R(ob)KO

STATE OF THE 'E: My Favorite Wrestlemania Matches (Part. 02)

Rate this Entry
I'm continuing right where I left off. I'm definitely going to have space to talk about my favorite "WrestleMania Moments" and to give some honorable mentions. So, without further space wasting...

05.) “STONE COLD” STEVE AUSTIN vs SHAWN MICHAELS
MARCH 29TH, 1998 – WRESTLEMANIA XIV
(WWF CHAMPIONSHIP)

This is the first match I was really excited for. I have been a lifelong fan of wrestling but the hype surrounding this match was something to truly behold. And even though Michaels was going through his back problems and he doesn’t think it’s a great match but, it spanned the arena, it was a definite classic. And when everything was said and done and Mike Tyson made the three count on HBK the crowd went crazy.

Everyone was suspecting HBK to lose but no one really knew due to Kayfabe not being broken yet. When Tyson hit Michaels it was the ending of an era literally. Lights out never felt so perfect as a description.

04.) HULK HOGAN vs THE ULTIMATE WARRIOR
APRIL 1ST, 1990 – WRESTLEMANIA VI
(WWF INTERCONTINENTAL AND WWF CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH)

When watching this match I didn’t understand what was happening behind the scenes but at six years old, I didn’t care. I had my plush Ultimate Warrior and Hulk Hogan pillows fighting each other while they were fighting in the ring. It was something cool to see the biggest names of that time clash against each other.

I remember losing my mind when Warrior won and seeing The Hulkster look weak at the end of the match was something interesting. That was the first time I remember seeing something like that in my young life. I was a huge Roddy Piper fan but something like that took me back a bit.

03.) BRET “THE HITMAN” HART vs “STONE COLD” STEVE AUSTIN
MARCH 23RD, 1997 – WRESTLEMANIA XIII
(NO DQ/SUBMISSION MATCH)

If you don’t know why this match is on here I suggest you go and watch it. Right now. Go on. I’m still waiting. Seriously… this match was the definition of the new era coming. Granted, WrestleMania XIV is where that era found its foothold but this Mania is where it all truly began.

Yes, Stone Cold lost but within him passing out blood drenched THAT was how you knew the next era was going to be. Nothing held back and nothing for granted. The Attitude Era was truly born on that night even though it wasn’t official.

02.) EDGE vs MICK FOLEY
APRIL 2ND, 2006 – WRESTLEMANIA XXII
(HARDCORE MATCH)

I have nothing but great memories from this. Mick Foley has always been one of my favorites and Edge of course was riding high on his “Rated R Superstar” gimmick and that struck a nerve with a lot of people. Especially considering this is so close to the Matt Hardy debacle haha. The moments that happened in this match were astounding. The thumbtacks, the fire, the revelation of barbed wire under Foley’s shirt.

It was all for lack of a better word, “magical” haha. I was just amazed at something like this happening at a WrestleMania… and to have Joey styles himself calling it made it all the better. This was also the first year I was out on my own and had a massive WrestleMania party at my house. My son was a year old and this was his first experience… definitely fond memories of y friends enjoying themselves and seeing my son’s eyes light up for the first time when he saw John Cena later in the show.

01.) SHAWN MICHAELS vs THE UNDERTAKER
APRIL 5TH, 2009 –WRESTLEMANIA XXV
(MATCH FOR UNDERTAKER’S STREAK)

The build up. The hype… everything. The previous year Shawn Michaels pulled the trigger on Ric Flair’s WWE career and everyone thought Michaels would have a repeat. For the first time ever, The Undertaker’s streak was truly in jeopardy. One major thing that made this match special was the fact it happened in Texas.

Shawn and Taker are both from there and I think that was a huge underlying emphasis on the match. Both of these men at this point were WAY passed their prime but managed to put on a literal clinic to show the younger generation how it was done. Michaels and Undertaker went above and beyond anything they even remotely needed to do. But, when you have “The Showstopper, The Main Event, The Icon” against “The Deadman, Big Evil, The Phenom”… you should know second rate isn’t going to nor would they put little effort into their time.

For forty-five minutes we got treated to a high flying, damn near botchless main event that left jaws on the floor. No one knew it was going to be that intense of a match. I’m still awaiting THE ‘E to make a documentary just on that match alone… you know they want to. It would definitely make them a lot of money for sure.

I didn’t even talk about how my friends were during this match… I swear to Cthulhu it was like we were friggin’ kids again. People were going crazy for this match all around the world but in my house you couldn’t hear a damn thing over everyone else. It didn’t help that my neighbors on both sides were having WrestleMania parties as well. People were all around… it was insanity. BBQ’s going and just whatever happening.

It was definitely a match of a lifetime. I’m nowhere even near sure that we’ll ever get anything like it ever again.

I obviously have a bit of space left but, not much. So, in short here are the next five on my list:

15.) "ROWDY" RODDY PIPER vs MR. T (BOXING) -- WRESTLEMANIA II

14.) SHAWN MICHAELS vs CHRIS JERICHO -- WRESTLEMANIA XIX

13.) E&C vs DUDLEYS vs THE HARDYZ (TLC) -- WRESTLEMANIA XVI (2000)

12.) ANDRE THE GIANT vs BIG JOHNN STUDD ($15,000 BODY SLAM CHALLENGE) -- WRESTLEMANIA

11.) "ROWDY" RODDY PIPER vs GOLDUST -- WRESTLEMANIA XII

I don't have the space as to tell you why for them all but I can tell you they each hold a special place for me. I was going to tell you my favorite moments but in all honesty, I think I just did. Yeah, there's a few I left out but in truth, these matches and their moments are things that will stick with me for forever.

I thank each and every one of you for reading this long blog. Hopefully I get some feedback wether it be negative or positive, I welcome it. As usual, please leave questions, comments, death threats, laxitives and other things below. See Ya' Soon Space Cowboy...

Submit "STATE OF THE 'E: My Favorite Wrestlemania Matches (Part. 02)" to Digg Submit "STATE OF THE 'E: My Favorite Wrestlemania Matches (Part. 02)" to del.icio.us Submit "STATE OF THE 'E: My Favorite Wrestlemania Matches (Part. 02)" to StumbleUpon Submit "STATE OF THE 'E: My Favorite Wrestlemania Matches (Part. 02)" to Google

Updated 03-06-2012 at 06:24 AM by Rated_R(ob)KO

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.