View RSS Feed

Rated_R(ob)KO

STATE OF THE 'E: BE A STAR!! Vicki Guerrero's A Pitbull!

Rate this Entry
Welcome to another blog edition of the [B]OFTEN[/B] imitated but [B]NEVER[/B] duplicated [B]STATE OF THE 'E[/B]!! I'm not guaranteeing a long one today but I will say, it's about something that's been nagging me for a while and I need to speak out on it. I've noticed a disturbing trend in WWE TV and it all started about two years ago.

No, its not them shilling out KMart, nope not even their constant whoring of product. Not even the fact that their storylines have made no sense or about as much sense as a 67 year old man can make, nope not even about how the IWC complains about all of that, yet watches week in and week out. :rolleyes:

[B]BE A STAR![/B]

Yes, the tool currently used by THE 'E to promote anti-bullying. I think its fantastic to promote anti-bullying but come on. This is ridiculous. I know people have commented briefly on this in the past but when you have a segment on RAW about how the Superstars went to Connecticut to promote anti-bullying, you spend 10 minutes of your show promoting it and what happens next?

Why, of course Vicki Guerrero comes out and Cole comments on her beauty, Jerry "The King" Lawler completely mushes the comment saying [B]"I've seen a better face on a pitbull. You wanna talk about pretty, look at Aksana!"[/B] Regardless of what THE 'E may think, that is still bullying. Verbal and physical bullying is what they're supposed to be against. Vicki may not be a "typical" beauty but THE 'E are sending out the wrong message right after the right one.

So, why is it that every time we get a BE A STAR segment, we get a portion with someone being bullied but, no consequences happen? It's easy to "bully" someone and not having something happen to the bully. No one tunes into RAW for a moral lesson, no. They tune in to see people getting their "ass kicked". week in and week out.

In a world where fat jokes, race jokes, people being jumped from behind and everything else in between, BE A STAR is very much the WRONG environment for them to be participating in.

I remember a segment last year when the Bella Twins made fun of Kharma for being fat, then they ran a BE A STAR promo... WITH them on it talking about how wrong it is to make people feel bad about themselves. WTF? There's no consistency with this promotion. When it started, Sheamus was busy bullying RAW and SMACKDOWN! then he turns face and is all over the campaign talking about how HE was bullied. Really? REALLY?

Unfortunately, the answer is yes. I believe that BE A STAR needs to go to a different format. Maybe Saturday morning cartoons? Maybe somewhere else. But, a show that focuses on storylines with groups being formed to take over and take as many people out by gang warfare, people attacking innocent bystanders (albeit 'E SupetStars) and everything else in between just is not a good fit.

It's a complete farce and excuse my language but also, a crock of shit too. The have a habit of treating every fan like they're a six year old with no memory of the past year or hell, something as quick as the last segment. I think I'm done here so, on that note I'm gonna go beat up someone, call them a myriad of names and then make a commercial about how wrong it is to do what I just did.

As per usual, leave questions, comments, death threats, lewd propositions and also, your internet bullying in the comment box below.

See Ya' Soon Space Cowboy...

Submit "STATE OF THE 'E: BE A STAR!! Vicki Guerrero's A Pitbull!" to Digg Submit "STATE OF THE 'E: BE A STAR!! Vicki Guerrero's A Pitbull!" to del.icio.us Submit "STATE OF THE 'E: BE A STAR!! Vicki Guerrero's A Pitbull!" to StumbleUpon Submit "STATE OF THE 'E: BE A STAR!! Vicki Guerrero's A Pitbull!" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

you have be a star segment to keep the sponsors and parents, sweet and you have the fat jokes and name calling to keep people like me who find those stuff funny, sweet...
    I don't mind WWE using BE A STAR. In all honesty, what happens on screen is completely different than what someone does for a commercial. It's not like the Bella Twins actually go out and make fun of people for their weight, or Jerry Lawler actually goes around calling someone ugly, it's all part of a story line, and what happens in that story line shouldn't affect anything that happens in a commercial to promote a good cause.
    Great blog. I think the BE A STAR program is very important but for it to be more effective I believe they shouldn't promote it on the Raw or Smackdown shows. As you said it gives contradictory points when it comes to bullying. It may cost extra but would it not be more effective as an ad in the commercial break or throughout commercials any other time of day? It needs to be separate from the programming tself so that the wrong impressions aren't given out. I'm sure that part of the speeches given by superstars is that anything said or done in the ring is for entertainment purposes only. Having the packages during Raw or Smackdown also takes away from the experience when you see Big Show and Otunga together when last week Show knocked him out
    Quote Originally Posted by Broc
    I don't mind WWE using BE A STAR. In all honesty, what happens on screen is completely different than what someone does for a commercial. It's not like the Bella Twins actually go out and make fun of people for their weight...
    This. Although I agree the WWE doesn't do a tremendous job making this disparity clear and coherent. I view these "Be-A-Star" commercials on the same wave-length as the "Don't Try This At Home" commercials. They are no longer their larger-than-life characters, rather themselves as real people- addressing a real issue. So ads like these stand independent of what goes on during the actual program.

I can certainly see how it seems hypocrital. Don't get me wrong. But that said, have you ever watched a Don't Try This At Home commercial, only to watch Austin hit a Stunner infront of 20,000 screaming fans and be like, what the hell WWE? You can't tell me not to do it, but than go and make it look totally awesome and God-like to do!

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.