View RSS Feed

TheGreatOne

10 Biggest moments in Royal Rumble history

Rate this Entry
I decided to add Rumble like I did the Wrestlemania's recently. Didn't have an account here at the time when it went on. Plan to do the same with Survivor Series and Summerslam. Basic format for this. It isn't the biggest matches, but it is the biggest moments in Royal Rumble history. Instead of numbering, I decided to give them out by year.

1992:Piper wins IC title-Piper spent his whole career without winning a single championship in the WWE at the time. He was that good on the mic that he didn't need a championship to get over. The night of the 92 Rumble was the night he won his first ever WWE title. It was vs the Mountie and the crowd went nuts with his victory. Without a doubt one of the biggest moments in the history of the Royal Rumble.

1992:Flair wins Rumble-Previous Rumble matches before this had WWE champions competing in the Rumble and world champs not defending their championships. 92 was the only Rumble where the WWE title was on the line. Flair went in the Rumble as the third entrant in the Royal Rumble and left with the WWE championship. One of the biggest moment not only in Flair's career, but in Rumble history as well. Some say to this day, it was their favorite Rumble match all-time.

1994:Luger/Bret tie-One of the most controversial moments in Rumble history when they made the decision to have them both called the winners of the Royal Rumble that night. Still to this day, both are still co-winners of the 94 Rumble match. Tried to do a similar thing in 2005 w/Cena & Batista, but they just restarted it.

1995:HBK one foot touches the floor-95 Rumble had two competitors for the first time ever start and finish that match. Bulldog and HBK were those guys. HBK came in #1 and the infamous one foot touched the floor. I'd say with exception of the 2 80 Rumbles worst one ever according to star power in the blatantly obvious HBK telling everyone when to exit the ring. Very short Rumble as well, but without a doubt one of the biggest moments in Rumble history still talked about today.

1999:Mankind screams I quit-The I quit match on his own is memorable, but the recording of Mankind screaming "I quit" stands out in my mind as a big moment. Rock holding the mic down while he is Mankind is laying cuffed on the concrete. One could argue the fall during that match, but either is ok with me. Both big moments in the Rumble's history.

2000:Taz debut-At the time, Angle was undefeated asking for an opponent. Taz always wanted to compete in MSG which was a goal of his. His debut in WWE in a big stage like the Royal Rumble and in MSG just made that moment even bigger. That along with the great crowd that night in 2000. Without question, Taz debut at the Rumble was a huge moment.

2002:Maven eliminates Undertaker-Without question, the biggest shocker in the history of the Royal Rumble match was Tough Enough winner Maven eliminating the Undertaker. Infamous dropkick from behind ended up on the receiving end of a beatdown by the deadman, but a huge moment in the history of the event. Maven's attempt for 2 years in a row didn't work out in 2003. Without question, biggest moment in Mavens career.

2004:Benoit Rumble victory-Coming in number 1 entry and facing the Big Show at the end in one memorable Royal Rumble match. Everyone knew how hard Benoit worked and how much it meant to him. Emotional moment for Benoit and one of the biggest moments in Royal Rumble history.

2006:Mysterio Rumble victory-Smallest man to ever win the Rumble match starting the match vs HHH as the number 2 entrant. Mysterio dedicating the Rumble match to Eddie after his passing in November. Eddie's shirt on the hood of the lowrider made it mean that much more.

2008:Cena return MSG-No Cena haters can argue this one because it was huge. Cena was injured in October I believe and was expected to miss like 6 or 11 months. Can't really remember, but no one saw this return coming. The crowd was crazy in MSG in shock. Not claiming they later didn't start booing Cena again, but it without question one of the biggest moments in the history of the Royal Rumble.

Strong contenders that didn't make the cut:
2002 HHH/Austin faceoff, 2007 Taker/HBK final 2, 1998 Kane burns Taker's casket, 1998 Austin enters Royal Rumble match, and 1997 Stone Cold cheats to win Royal Rumble.

Submit "10 Biggest moments in Royal Rumble history" to Digg Submit "10 Biggest moments in Royal Rumble history" to del.icio.us Submit "10 Biggest moments in Royal Rumble history" to StumbleUpon Submit "10 Biggest moments in Royal Rumble history" to Google

Updated 03-15-2012 at 10:19 PM by TheGreatOne (adding one)

Categories
Thoughts and Opinions

Comments

How can you not include the first face off between Hogan & Warrior at RR 90?
    This kicked off the WM6 main event which is one of the biggest main events in WM history.And yes i know that term "biggest in wrestlemania history" is thrown about so easily these days but this was massive only second to Hogan vs Andre at WM 3 during the golden era.
    I still get goose bumps watching them face off at the Rumble.The crowd and Jesse Ventura go crazy when its just these 2 titans left in the ring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05F_TN6jG1Y
    HBK one foot is easily the best moment and nothing comes close. Sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by goonernaz
    How can you not include the first face off between Hogan & Warrior at RR 90?
    This kicked off the WM6 main event which is one of the biggest main events in WM history.And yes i know that term "biggest in wrestlemania history" is thrown about so easily these days but this was massive only second to Hogan vs Andre at WM 3 during the golden era.
    I still get goose bumps watching them face off at the Rumble.The crowd and Jesse Ventura go crazy when its just these 2 titans left in the ring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05F_TN6jG1Y
    I agree Hogan/Warrior was big, but didn't realize I missed it til I made all 3 of the posts related to Royal Rumble. Andre/Hogan contract signing to me shouldn't be in the top moments. I liked Pipers Pit segment way more than that.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.