View RSS Feed

Renevious

The Lost Gems, Vol. 1: Wrestlemania IV

Rating: 2 votes, 2.50 average.
Hey guys, Renevious here. I want to start by thanking everyone who voted for me to be the reigning WBC Champion. It means a lot to me that you guys actually enjoy reading what I have to write. But now that the mushy stuff is out of the way, I'd like to start a series of blogs talking about pay per views that haven't gotten the praise and recognition they deserve in the past. It's going to mainly be Wrestlemanias, but it could be other events as well. Time will tell. I wrote a blog a good while back about the Lost Wrestlemanias, where I listed a few of them that seem to be forgotten and hit on some main points. But I think the only way to do these unsung heroes justice is to give each one its own blog. And so it begins...

Wrestlemania IV (March 27, 1988)
This event was right in the middle of the golden age of 80's wrestling. The whole world was on board with Hulkamania, the Ultimate Warrior was building momentum, and the team of Jesse Ventura and Gorilla Monsoon were killing it on the mics. It was such a great time to be a fan, especially as a kid. Now this 'Mania took place about 2 months before I turned 9 years old, so I was completely caught up in all the excitement at the time. I never in my life liked Hulk Hogan, so it was so awesome to see a point in time where he wasn't the champ anymore. The suspense building up was so huge. Never before in the WWF had there been a vacant world title, not to mention a 14-man tournament to crown a new undisputed World Wrestling Federation Champion.

For those of you who know me, you will already know these two things I love. One of them is a pay per view with a shitload of wrestling. And the other is the Macho Man Randy Savage. Wrestlemania IV had both of these things in full force. I always say that today's 'Manias just don't have enough matches. I don't like paying $75 to see 7 matches. That's bull shit. Wrestlemania IV had 16 freakin' matches. Talk about getting your money's worth.

It had it all. It started with a battle royal for an awesome 7 foot tall trophy, and it was one of the first times we as fans got to see Bret Hart show that he was a star in the making. Then we got to see the unveiling of the most bad ass looking title belt in the history of the business, the Winged Eagle Belt. It was just amazing. I have no idea why it's not still used today. It was elegant, regal, and just plain timeless. Now today we're stuck with something that looks like it was bought at one of those freestanding kiosks in the mall where the Arabs sell cell phone accessories and gigantic chains.

Now on to the tournament. This thing was so huge. We could never be treated to this kind of excitement these days. An entire 14-man tournament that went completely from beginning to end all in one night was just phenomenal. And there was still more! We got to see a 6-man tag team match, an IC title match, a tag team title match, and a singles match between the two giant piles of muscle that are Hercules and the Ultimate Warrior. I mean damn! That's getting your money's worth if I've ever seen it.

Which brings me to my next point, the Macho Man. Randy Savage has been my all time favorite wrestler since I was about 6 years old. So to see him barrel through 4 entire matches all in one night, just to cap it off with being the first person to wear the Winged Eagle Belt was nothing short of magic. Now I know most people consider the best moment in Savage's career to be his match the year before against Ricky Steamboat. But this was the first time anyone in the WWF had ever wrestled 4 matches (and won) in the same night. It takes a special kind of person to persevere like that, and Randy Savage was definitely a special kind of person.

So to close this out, you may or may not agree with me on how great this Wrestlemania was. But hey, I respect everyone's opinion. And even though I know there have been better Wrestlemanias, as far as overall quality goes, since this one; but for me personally, this is definitely my favorite. If you're a bit young and not familiar with it, I most definitely recommend finding it and watching it. I just want to say thanks for reading and taking this trip down memory lane with me. Take care everybody. God Bless.

Submit "The Lost Gems, Vol. 1: Wrestlemania IV" to Digg Submit "The Lost Gems, Vol. 1: Wrestlemania IV" to del.icio.us Submit "The Lost Gems, Vol. 1: Wrestlemania IV" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Lost Gems, Vol. 1: Wrestlemania IV" to Google

Updated 03-15-2012 at 02:49 PM by Renevious

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

good blog,and i agree, savage was the man!
    Savage is my all time favorite wrestler! I would have loved to see him in the wwf in the 90's. He could have had amazing matches with HBK, SCSA, The Rock etc...

His death was the only time in my life I have mourned the loss of a celebrity.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.