View RSS Feed

knox

5 Guys who should've been Champ in the 80s

Rate this Entry
Hey guys Knox here hoping all is well. I was looking over some good material from Classics on Demand from the 80s. Something special about back in the day was that there was always long title reigns because their were only four PPV's (Summerslam, Royal Rumble, Survivor Series & Wrestlemania).

So we had long reigns. Randy Savage actually held the belt for exactly a year when he won the title at Wrestlemania 4 and lost the title at Wrestlemania 5 to Hogan ofcourse....which leads me to my next point. Hogan basically dominated the 80s.

Hogan won his first WWF Champion in 1984 and held that title for over 4 years which was approximately 1474 days. Since Hogan's first title win, only two other guys would hold the WWF Championship in the 80s and they were Andre the Giant and Randy Savage.

I basically wanted to do a list of other guys who could've held that belt in the 80s after Hogan won his first belt so basically from 1984 on up. The 80s were filled with numerous guys whom I felt were easily over enough to win it.

5 Guys who should've been WWF Champion in the 80s

5. "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff
One of the most underrated guys of all time and I really mean that. The guys I mention below are guys that people still talk about today but no one ever brings up the great Paul Orndorff. He had the look, the Gorgeous George like gimmick, the robe, I mean he had it all. He was a pure technician in the ring and could cut a hell of a promo. I would have loved to see him get that true push and a serious reign as WWF Champion. Below you'll see one of his best scenes ever. He was in the gym training people and insulting them so bad lol, pure gold.

4. "The Ravishing" Rick Rude
One of the biggest heat drawers ever. Never seen anyone like Rude. I don't know why he was never pushed to the limit but he had it all. "What I'd like to have" drew more heat than Vickie's "Excuse Me". Great talent. RIP.

3. "Rowdy" Roddy Piper
My all time favorite wrestler of all time behind Edge. Piper & Jake Roberts to me were the greatest talkers of all time. Piper started something big with Piper's Pit that even non wrestling fans knew about. He was an awesome talent and one of the most respected individuals. For the life of me, I still don't see why he ever won the big one.

2. Jake "The Snake" Roberts
One of the most unusual gimmicks but he was very easy to take serious. I think as a strong heel he would've been a hell of a WWF Champion in the 80s without a doubt. The difference between Roberts from all the popular talkers like Rocky, Austin & others is that Roberts had substance. He was actually saying something in that ring. One of the greatest ever. DDT.

1. "The Million Dollar Man" Ted Dibiase
The greatest heel of all time. No doubt about that. Who doesn't hate a man that flaunts his money. He had the most perfect gimmick I've ever seen because it was natural. Everybody has a price which indeed is true. He won the title before but I don't count that since Andre gave him the title. That's just as credible as Dolph Ziggler's WHC win. I don't know much about how his backstage attitude was back in the day but he had to rub someone the wrong way to not ever be WWF Champ, he was insane.

Honorable Mentions:
Curt Hennig
Haku

Conclusion:
Hope you all enjoyed this one. I have nothing against Hogan dominating the 80s, I just hate when an era is defined by one person. I believe there were plenty of credible guys that should've been pushed. This is wrestling, you can't push everyone but the names I mentioned above should've atleast been WWF Champ atleast once without a doubt.

Thanks guys, leave feedback as well as your own list. Check out my track and get me a thousand views. And as always, be safe. Until then.https://twitter.com/#!/jaeknox

Submit "5 Guys who should've been Champ in the 80s" to Digg Submit "5 Guys who should've been Champ in the 80s" to del.icio.us Submit "5 Guys who should've been Champ in the 80s" to StumbleUpon Submit "5 Guys who should've been Champ in the 80s" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Yeah it's a damn shame that Dibiase never had a reign with the belt, he was fantastic and more than deserved it. Nice blog, always enjoy your list blogs
    Never lucky enough to see much of Mr.Wonderful but the other four would be multi time champions in the current era.Million dollar man not being the champ was the biggest crime in my eyes,hated him so much as a kid but for all the right reasons

Keep up the good work fella
    Nice list! I probably would have the same people, but for me Mr Wonderful would be #1. Im very happy you listed him. He is grossly underrated. He was a victim of Hulkamania and had one of the best, personal fueds with Hogan. He should have taken the belt in that legendary Saturday Night's Main Event cage match. Mr Wonderful and Heenan were gold. I attached one of many of my favorites Mr Wonderful promos. Entertaining and classic, to say the least.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbQDX...e_gdata_player
    GREAT List and AMAZING SONG, I love your blogs knox! I'm always thinking you should work for creative.
    The 1980 includes 1980 to 1984. There was 5 WWE Champions in the 80’s

Bob Backlund, The Iron Sheik, Hulk Hogan, Andre the Giant, Randy Savage, and even No Champion.

Bob Backlund > 1980 (12/6/79) to 12/26/83 > 1,090 Days
    The Iron Sheik >12/26/83 to 1/23/84 > 28 Days
    Hulk Hogan > 1 Title > 1/23/84 to 2/05/88 > 1,498 Days
    2 Title > 4/2/89 to 4/1/90 > 364 Days
    Andre the Giant > 2/05/88 (less than 2 minutes) > 0 Days
    No Champion > 2/5/88 to 3/27/88 > 51 Days
    Randy Savage > 3/27/88 to 4/2/89 > 363 Days
    SO who Dominated the 80’s

Hulk Hogan – 1,862 Days. Next Randy Savage NO! it would be Bob Backlund - 1,090 Days

“Since Hogan's first title win, only two other guys would hold the WWF Championship in the 80s and they were Andre the Giant and Randy Savage.”

So Bob Backlund and The Iron Sheik never held the title?
    As always Brother Knox great list, dead on! Corow & I both think you should be working for creative in the WWE. And to The Truth re-read the post dawg(after Hogans first reign) is what the man is talking about.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.