View RSS Feed

Dubs

Thoughts on John Cena

Rate this Entry
Hello blog readers! The title of the blog says it all really. I want to talk about John Cena and also my thoughts on his character! I'm going to give my honest opinion like always so here we go!

John Cena

John Cena, WWE posterboy, the leader of WWE's current era, and the man that has been the top WWE Superstar for 10 years. Hes a 12th time World Champion, a 4 time WWE Tag Team Champion, and a 3 time United States Champion. Hes been loved by many and hated by others. Hes been in great feuds with Edge, Randy Orton, Batista, and CM Punk to name a few. Cena is currently in a feud with The Rock as they look to have a generation vs generation type match at Wrestlemania 28. Hes proven time after time that he can wrestle. Speaking of which, that's going to be my first topic I wanna touch on.

Cena's in-ring work
A lot of people say that Cena is a bad wrestler. They say that he has the 5 moves of doom (Mind you, he knows more than 5 moves but I digress) sequence.They also say that he has to be carried by other great performers to have a great match and I really disagree with that. I know people may not like Cena's style of wrestling but to say Cena has to be carried to a great match is incredibly false. John Cena knows how to work a match just as the next wrestler. He knows how to tell a story in a match and knows how to work a crowd better than anyone else on the roster whether hes getting booed or cheered for. Its not easy to get the crowd emotionally invested in a match but Cena makes it look like a piece of cake. I don't know how anybody can carry another wrestler to a match anyways if two wrestlers are both doing their parts in a match and they are both taking bumps. Its one of those sayings that doesn't make sense to me in the slightest. Cena may not be a "technical" wrestler nor does he have to be but hes one of the best in-ring workers in the WWE IMO.

Cena's promo cutting skills
I hear some people saying how John Cena's mic skills aren't that great and how The Rock needs to put Cena over to make Cena look good in terms of promo cutting and I do not agree with that at all. John Cena's promo cutting skills are top notch. His promos may be be a little cheesy sometimes but Cena has a unique way of getting the crowd to care about what hes saying whether they are booing him and cheering him. Cena knows how to cut promos straight from the heart. Hes now breaking kayfabe and cutting serious promos which is a plus for me.

Cena's character
People say they are sick of Cena's SuperCena persona and how he needs to refresh his character but the thing people fail to realize is, he HAS freshened up his character. Cena is now breaking kayfabe, becoming more edgy in his promos, and using his motto, "Rise Above Hate" as an indirect response to the people that boo him. Cena never used to break kayfabe in his promos, nor has WWE used Cena's critics as part of a storyline like they did with Cena vs Kane. I just don't understand how anyone can't see how Cena's character has freshened up.

Pet peeve with Cena
I'm a fan of Cena but I do have pet peeves with his character. Honestly, I think he needs to lose cleanly a little more often. Like at Money in the Bank, CM Punk beat John Cena due to Cena being distracted. I thought Cena should have been beat cleanly by CM Punk. Cena losing cleanly won't hurt him character wise so I do not understand why WWE doesn't make him lose cleanly more often. Another pet peeve of mine is how he talks about having respect for The Rock. I would like to hear more of Cena bashing The Rock instead of talking about having respect for him to be honest.

Overall, I'm a big fan of Cena and I believe hes bringing his A game in his feud with The Rock. I'm a fan of BOTH guys and I believe they will have the best match of the night on the Wrestlemania 28 card, no question about it. Thanks for reading my blog guys! I expect positive and negative feedback from this!

Submit "Thoughts on John Cena" to Digg Submit "Thoughts on John Cena" to del.icio.us Submit "Thoughts on John Cena" to StumbleUpon Submit "Thoughts on John Cena" to Google

Updated 03-09-2012 at 08:30 PM by Dubs

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Various problems with your posts. People are frustrated with Cena's matches because he does the same moves all the time in his comeback during matches. Same shoulder blocks and it always just end up the same way. Punches, bulldogs, and so on. Every time on his comeback during his matches the same moves to do so which frustrates people.

Carrying a wrestler means he is in control the entire match. Doing all his moves to make it look good. What spots to have, what moves to do and so on. Do you not see the wrestlers talk during their matches?

Til Rock fued recently....all his promos feel as if they are the same.

Cena's character hasn't refreshed. His attitude is the same as it was 5 years ago. I fight for you people who support me through it all. Cena/Kane fued sucked big time. Didn't in the slightest live up to expectations. Kane is suppose to be evil. Not some idiot in a mask like he is today. Cena doesn't relate to a lot of people. He just doesn't connect with the fans like he used to either. People want him to have an attitude that some may relate to. They want him to entertain. Not some promo that has been said more times than they care to count.

Best match of the night? I highly doubt it. My bet would be on Punk/Jericho. Cena/Rock will be the most anticipated because it is the main event and that is what everyone will want to see.

I don't have a problem with Cena. I'm actually rooting for him vs the Rock at Wrestlemania. Not because I dislike The Rock or that I'm a Cena mark. It is because I want a guy to win who is going to be on the show 52 weeks out of the year instead of a guy who shows up for maybe 8-12 raw shows a year. You see where I'm going with this? Havn't been a real big Cena fan since the Summer of 07 when I got tired of the same old stuff. Rooted for guys like Miz and Orton who had a bit of an attitude during those days. Now Punk has an attitude a lot of folks can relate to. The biggest problem with WWE today is a lot of people are alike. All the heels are the same....cocky/arrogant while the faces seem to be the ones who are quiet while fighting for us. What happened to the days of Evil personalities like Kane, Mankind, Taker, and so on. Who cares if it is a bit cartoonish. It helped those guys stand out and be different from the rest. What sets these guys apart? Punk speaks his mind which is what a lot of fans love. The most loved people in the biz are the entertainers who you want to tune in and see. Cena is boring to fans which is why some fans turned on him and rooted for other guys instead. Wrestling fans don't always root for the best wrestlers. They root for the guys who can entertain with the best of them. Why do you think Ryder is so well liked? He entertained us every Thursday on youtube for the past year. Eventually he will have to change like a lot of wrestlers do. Evolve and change to remain entertaining. Orton has changed a lot since his days in Evolution. Apex predator, Vipor, Legend Killer, and so on. That is why he is still well liked unlike Cena. If Cena wants to be liked....he has to change. Rock changed, Austin changed, HHH, and so on to be successful in their respective careers.
    Even the great Hulk Hogan got boos in the early 90s because they were sick of his character. Before he became Hollywood Hogan in WCW....he was booed because they were tired of the same old thing. It isn't a knock on Cena. It happens to everyone in the business where they have got change to remain entertaining to the wrestling fans.
    Puppet!....terrible wrestler...poster boy...Cena-nuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatOne
    Various problems with your posts. People are frustrated with Cena's matches because he does the same moves all the time in his comeback during matches. Same shoulder blocks and it always just end up the same way. Punches, bulldogs, and so on. Every time on his comeback during his matches the same moves to do so which frustrates people.
    That's the same complaint that's getting old to be honest. Cena is now starting to break away from that formula in his matches so I don't get why some are still complaining about that.

Carrying a wrestler means he is in control the entire match. Doing all his moves to make it look good. What spots to have, what moves to do and so on. Do you not see the wrestlers talk during their matches?
    Its still a ridiculous saying because both wrestlers have to have chemistry in order to have a great match. If Cena was that bad of a wrestler like people say, how would he be carried to a great match if hes a bad wrestler? It takes two to tango.

Til Rock fued recently....all his promos feel as if they are the same.
    I beg to differ. Look at his promos with The Miz, Del Rio, and CM Punk. Hes pretty much upped his game and became edgy.

Cena's character hasn't refreshed. His attitude is the same as it was 5 years ago. I fight for you people who support me through it all. Cena/Kane fued sucked big time. Didn't in the slightest live up to expectations. Kane is suppose to be evil. Not some idiot in a mask like he is today. Cena doesn't relate to a lot of people. He just doesn't connect with the fans like he used to either. People want him to have an attitude that some may relate to. They want him to entertain. Not some promo that has been said more times than they care to count.
    Cena may have the same attitude but hes not the same as he was in 2009-2011. His character from 2009-2011 was always "Never Give Up" or "Hustle Loyalty Respect" but now, his new motto is "Rise Above Hate" which, like I said, is a response to his haters.

Best match of the night? I highly doubt it. My bet would be on Punk/Jericho. Cena/Rock will be the most anticipated because it is the main event and that is what everyone will want to see.
    I don't see CM Punk and Jericho being the best match of the night honestly. Sure, they are great workers but best match of the night? Doubt it.

I don't have a problem with Cena. I'm actually rooting for him vs the Rock at Wrestlemania. Not because I dislike The Rock or that I'm a Cena mark. It is because I want a guy to win who is going to be on the show 52 weeks out of the year instead of a guy who shows up for maybe 8-12 raw shows a year. You see where I'm going with this? Havn't been a real big Cena fan since the Summer of 07 when I got tired of the same old stuff. Rooted for guys like Miz and Orton who had a bit of an attitude during those days. Now Punk has an attitude a lot of folks can relate to. The biggest problem with WWE today is a lot of people are alike. All the heels are the same....cocky/arrogant while the faces seem to be the ones who are quiet while fighting for us. What happened to the days of Evil personalities like Kane, Mankind, Taker, and so on. Who cares if it is a bit cartoonish. It helped those guys stand out and be different from the rest. What sets these guys apart? Punk speaks his mind which is what a lot of fans love. The most loved people in the biz are the entertainers who you want to tune in and see. Cena is boring to fans which is why some fans turned on him and rooted for other guys instead. Wrestling fans don't always root for the best wrestlers. They root for the guys who can entertain with the best of them. Why do you think Ryder is so well liked? He entertained us every Thursday on youtube for the past year. Eventually he will have to change like a lot of wrestlers do. Evolve and change to remain entertaining. Orton has changed a lot since his days in Evolution. Apex predator, Vipor, Legend Killer, and so on. That is why he is still well liked unlike Cena. If Cena wants to be liked....he has to change. Rock changed, Austin changed, HHH, and so on to be successful in their respective careers.
    It was easy for The Rock, Triple H, and Stone Cold to change because WWE had more top babyface guys who could carry the company. The same could be said for Hogan's heel turn in WCW but the only top guys in the WWE right now are John Cena and CM Punk. Lets face it, Cena is the biggest draw in the WWE right now and turning him heel would be quite a big gamble.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.