View RSS Feed

Dubs

Stone Cold's rise to the top: KOTR promo or feud with Bret Hart?

Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
Hey, hey, hey blog readers! I have been going through computer problems which is probably going to prevent me from doing blogs on a regular basis but luckily, I was able to cook up a blog for now. The topic of my blog will be about Stone Cold's rise to the top and what I think caused him to become the face of the Attitude Era between his epic promo he cut at the 1996 King of the Ring or his feud with Bret "the Hitman" Hart. Lets get to it!

Stone Cold Steve Austin

There is no denying the fact that if it weren't for Stone Cold, the WWE probably wouldn't be as big as it is today. Hes is the reason the WWE beat WCW in their on-going war and was the posterboy for the Attitude Era. The people stopped cheering for gimmicky wrestlers and wanted more badass rebellious characters like Stone Cold who went against the authority. Although Stone Cold became the biggest name in professional wrestling, what led to his success in the WWE? Well, its between his promo at the KOTR 1996 or his feud with Bret Hart but I believe their is a main reason as to what led to the success of The Rattlesnake between the two.

Austin 3:16 was born:
After winning the King of the Ring tournament against Jake Roberts, Austin was getting interviewed and was given a chance to say whatever he wanted to on the mic and Austin did just that. He cut one of the greatest promos I ever heard and gave us a famous line which is "Austin 3:16 says I just whooped your ass!". After that, Vince saw potential in the Stone Cold character and the rest is history.

Stone Cold vs Bret Hart:
After returning to the WWE, Bret Hart was coming back but needed a strong heel to rival against and that man was none other than Stone Cold. Stone Cold was getting good heel heat and contrasted the lifestyle of Bret Hart which was a formula of a good feud with one another. Their match at Survivor Series 1996 was awesome from start to finish and proved that Stone Cold can go technical with the best of them. After that match, they still kept feuding. The fans were now starting to cheer for Stone Cold and were getting a little tired of Bret Hart. Their match at Wrestlemania is where everything changed because the fans were now cheering for Austin and they were booing Bret Hart. Their match at Wrestlemania 13 caused a double turn which is the first time that has ever happened with Austin now being a face and Bret Hart finally becoming a heel. After that, Stone Cold was becoming a household name and becoming the face of the WWE.

Overall, I have to go with Stone Cold's feud with Bret Hart which led him as the face of the company. Although Austin's promo at KOTR was the start of Austin 3:16 and the start of the Stone Cold character, his feud with Bret Hart gave the fans a big reason to get behind Austin since they were sick of Bret Hart as a face. Their match at Wrestlemania 13 is where fans were fully behind Austin and wanted to see him become the face of the WWE. When Stone Cold cut his KOTR promo, the fans weren't fully behind him until his feud with Bret Hart. So In my humble opinion, Stone Cold's feud with Bret Hart is what made Stone Cold the face of the Attitude Era.

Let me know what you think guys!

Submit "Stone Cold's rise to the top: KOTR promo or feud with Bret Hart?" to Digg Submit "Stone Cold's rise to the top: KOTR promo or feud with Bret Hart?" to del.icio.us Submit "Stone Cold's rise to the top: KOTR promo or feud with Bret Hart?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Stone Cold's rise to the top: KOTR promo or feud with Bret Hart?" to Google

Updated 03-18-2012 at 11:24 PM by Dubs

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I agree with you...his feud with Bret made him THE MAN!!!

Austin became THE HOTTEST PROPERTY ever after...
    Stone Cold vs Vince McMahon was the fued that put him on top of the business. Some of the best promo work Ive ever seen between the two of them. Ruthless billionaire vs Rebel Austin...Might be the biggest fued in the history of wrestling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanb93
    Stone Cold vs Vince McMahon was the fued that put him on top of the business. Some of the best promo work Ive ever seen between the two of them. Ruthless billionaire vs Rebel Austin...Might be the biggest fued in the history of wrestling.
    I don't think Austin vs Mcmahon put Stone Cold on top because when you think about it, Stone Cold was already the top guy when he started feuding with Vince. I do agree that Austin vs Mcmahon had some of the best moments on television and it really did keep Austin as the top guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by DUBS
    I don't think Austin vs Mcmahon put Stone Cold on top because when you think about it, Stone Cold was already the top guy when he started feuding with Vince. I do agree that Austin vs Mcmahon had some of the best moments on television and it really did keep Austin as the top guy.
    agreed, austin/ vince feud cemented austin as the greatest of that era...and im convinced that, austin 3:16 is what rose him to the top...
    I think when Austin stunned McMahon for the first time it took Austin to another level. Not to mention Slaughter, and pretty much everyone else. The fued was something all the fans could get behind. Austin was certainly was extremly over with the crowd....but during that fued i think he went to another level.

Another example was the Mike Tyson moment, That happened while austin was fueding with McMahon and was taking on Shawn Michaels who was the top heel in the WWE. This was all over the news and put Austin in the national spotlight.

The examples of KOTR and Hart certainly are what propelled him into the main spot, but I think what happened during the McMahon fued are what what him a legend and put him on another level than everyone else.
    Great Blog! I want to say 3:16 is what got him notice the way he wanted to be. When Eric cut him from WCW he went to ECW and then WWF with a gimmick that was not him at all. The Ring Master was just another gimmick and nothing more, but once free to do his own thing he took off. Austin 3:16 and Hulk Hogan's heel turn were the biggest thing wrestling had ever seen or heard.

His feud with Bret Hart is what made you respect him. When they first started fueding the fans hated Stone Cold but after their match at Mania he got respect and he didn't even win the match.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.