View RSS Feed

Dubs

Thoughts on John Cena

Rate this Entry
Hello blog readers! The title of the blog says it all really. I want to talk about John Cena and also my thoughts on his character! I'm going to give my honest opinion like always so here we go!

John Cena

John Cena, WWE posterboy, the leader of WWE's current era, and the man that has been the top WWE Superstar for 10 years. Hes a 12th time World Champion, a 4 time WWE Tag Team Champion, and a 3 time United States Champion. Hes been loved by many and hated by others. Hes been in great feuds with Edge, Randy Orton, Batista, and CM Punk to name a few. Cena is currently in a feud with The Rock as they look to have a generation vs generation type match at Wrestlemania 28. Hes proven time after time that he can wrestle. Speaking of which, that's going to be my first topic I wanna touch on.

Cena's in-ring work
A lot of people say that Cena is a bad wrestler. They say that he has the 5 moves of doom (Mind you, he knows more than 5 moves but I digress) sequence.They also say that he has to be carried by other great performers to have a great match and I really disagree with that. I know people may not like Cena's style of wrestling but to say Cena has to be carried to a great match is incredibly false. John Cena knows how to work a match just as the next wrestler. He knows how to tell a story in a match and knows how to work a crowd better than anyone else on the roster whether hes getting booed or cheered for. Its not easy to get the crowd emotionally invested in a match but Cena makes it look like a piece of cake. I don't know how anybody can carry another wrestler to a match anyways if two wrestlers are both doing their parts in a match and they are both taking bumps. Its one of those sayings that doesn't make sense to me in the slightest. Cena may not be a "technical" wrestler nor does he have to be but hes one of the best in-ring workers in the WWE IMO.

Cena's promo cutting skills
I hear some people saying how John Cena's mic skills aren't that great and how The Rock needs to put Cena over to make Cena look good in terms of promo cutting and I do not agree with that at all. John Cena's promo cutting skills are top notch. His promos may be be a little cheesy sometimes but Cena has a unique way of getting the crowd to care about what hes saying whether they are booing him and cheering him. Cena knows how to cut promos straight from the heart. Hes now breaking kayfabe and cutting serious promos which is a plus for me.

Cena's character
People say they are sick of Cena's SuperCena persona and how he needs to refresh his character but the thing people fail to realize is, he HAS freshened up his character. Cena is now breaking kayfabe, becoming more edgy in his promos, and using his motto, "Rise Above Hate" as an indirect response to the people that boo him. Cena never used to break kayfabe in his promos, nor has WWE used Cena's critics as part of a storyline like they did with Cena vs Kane. I just don't understand how anyone can't see how Cena's character has freshened up.

Pet peeve with Cena
I'm a fan of Cena but I do have pet peeves with his character. Honestly, I think he needs to lose cleanly a little more often. Like at Money in the Bank, CM Punk beat John Cena due to Cena being distracted. I thought Cena should have been beat cleanly by CM Punk. Cena losing cleanly won't hurt him character wise so I do not understand why WWE doesn't make him lose cleanly more often. Another pet peeve of mine is how he talks about having respect for The Rock. I would like to hear more of Cena bashing The Rock instead of talking about having respect for him to be honest.

Overall, I'm a big fan of Cena and I believe hes bringing his A game in his feud with The Rock. I'm a fan of BOTH guys and I believe they will have the best match of the night on the Wrestlemania 28 card, no question about it. Thanks for reading my blog guys! I expect positive and negative feedback from this!

Submit "Thoughts on John Cena" to Digg Submit "Thoughts on John Cena" to del.icio.us Submit "Thoughts on John Cena" to StumbleUpon Submit "Thoughts on John Cena" to Google

Updated 03-09-2012 at 08:30 PM by Dubs

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Great blog. Very true and I agree, especially about bashing The Rock a little more. I mean, if he did, he might get some cheers for owning him like he did a week ago on RAW, leaving him speechless in the ring. The only reason he won't is because he can't. His rivalry with Jericho 4 years ago led Jericho to calling him a hypocrite, as he calls everyone. Cena shows Hustle, Loyalty and RESPECT which means if he does, he won't show respect and his CHARACTER will be a hypocrite and it won't make him look good. That's why it is so hard for WWE Creative to have him be disrespectful without turning him heel. IMO, Cena won't be a heel again. I think Cena's character should be modified a little bit. None of this SuperCena crap, but more like how he was in 2008 and 2009.

The only thing that's wrong is his title history. He is actually a 4 time Tag Team Champ. 2 World Tag Titles and 2 WWE Tag Titles. But other then that, great blog.
    Quote Originally Posted by ozfan
    Great blog. Very true and I agree, especially about bashing The Rock a little more. I mean, if he did, he might get some cheers for owning him like he did a week ago on RAW, leaving him speechless in the ring. The only reason he won't is because he can't. His rivalry with Jericho 4 years ago led Jericho to calling him a hypocrite, as he calls everyone. Cena shows Hustle, Loyalty and RESPECT which means if he does, he won't show respect and his CHARACTER will be a hypocrite and it won't make him look good. That's why it is so hard for WWE Creative to have him be disrespectful without turning him heel. IMO, Cena won't be a heel again. I think Cena's character should be modified a little bit. None of this SuperCena crap, but more like how he was in 2008 and 2009.

The only thing that's wrong is his title history. He is actually a 4 time Tag Team Champ. 2 World Tag Titles and 2 WWE Tag Titles. But other then that, great blog.
    Agreed. If WWE could book him like they did in 2008-2009, then people wouldn't have as much of a problem with him. As for the Tag Title error, I'm gonna edit it.
    Nice blog....I'm not a big Cena fan but I still think this was a good read.
    I think my main issue with Cena is the fact that he has been pushed far too much for such a long sustained period of time that I have had enough of him. Like you said he hardly ever gets beat clean an I think his promos aren't that great and that just because his last few promos against the Rock have been good and it just shows the standard he is capable of. I think that the WWE have also pushed themselves into a corner slightly with Cena just because when he's not champ or chasing the title his feuds seem to be boring.
    Talking abt Cena's promo cutting...I still remembe in his feud with Y2J..where Y2J called public as Hypocrates but still got cheered and when Cena talked abt Hustle Loyalty n Respect..he was booed...that's how he engages crowd....his promos r gud only at times....most of the times his promos r not so gr8

I disagree with him on in-ring thing...I mean I know he can do more than just 5moves...but, he's not so great...his comeback into the match after getting beaten is not so engaging...n his facial expressions when he's aggressive reminds me of my kid nephew....

Cena's super hero thing is not at all gud...I mean..u can be a superman...but, atleast should be believable...I mean winning against EDGE in TLC Match (the match which made him a legend)..winning against some one like Kurt in submissions match (even though it was a triple threat with masters in)..will not to gud to his character..losing against someone like EDGE in TLC r to KURT in any kind of match will not hurt him...n also he should have lost cleanly to Punk at MITB...that wud make Punk's claim of being the BEST a lil more credible...n it will never hurt Cena n will give a new edge to his character...

n yeah...I agree with you on one thing...HE SHOULD STOP RESPECTING THE ROCK STUFF...n SHOULD BE MORE AGGRESSIVE!!!
    Question....Which one of Vince's babyface champions, past or present, ever lost clean? I can probably count on one hand the amount of times from the past 30 yrs with a few fingers to spare! Cena is not the first babyface Champion who has never lost clean and won't be the last!

Why is it that after all these years that this is coming out now? I understand the Cena hate but Cena has nothing to do with it. Hogan, Bret, Austin, The Rock, Shawn, Cena, as faces, they rarely if ever lost a title match clean.
    I get that he has changed his character up a little, but that's a method that works when the fans are just a little bit sick of a superstar. For well over four years I've been sick of him, so he needs a more drastic change in character for me to watch him with any real interest. The only reason I'm paying attention right now is the fact that it's The Rock who he's going up against.

As for his in-ring ability, he does have it. The problem is we see him use it so rarely that he doesn't come across as anything more than a Hulk Hogan-esque wrestler (the man had the single worse moveset I've ever seen). Cena is capable of telling a story, but when it's the same story since WrestleMania 21 (get beaten down, superhero comeback, win) it gets stale really quickly.

You see people like Chris Jericho reinventing themselves constantly and it makes you wonder why someone who's been the top star for so long seems incapable of change. He has the fans attention so why not mix it up a little?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sony
    Question....Which one of Vince's babyface champions, past or present, ever lost clean? I can probably count on one hand the amount of times from the past 30 yrs with a few fingers to spare! Cena is not the first babyface Champion who has never lost clean and won't be the last!

Why is it that after all these years that this is coming out now? I understand the Cena hate but Cena has nothing to do with it. Hogan, Bret, Austin, The Rock, Shawn, Cena, as faces, they rarely if ever lost a title match clean.
    Well of course I know hes not the first babyface Champion who ever lost clean and never stated that he WAS the first babyface to never lose clean so I'm not understanding your point on that.

I don't expect Cena to always lose clean but a little more often he should. There are some matches where he should have lost cleanly like his match with CM Punk at Money in the Bank. WWE won't hurt his character by losing cleanly so I don't understand why they don't have him lose cleanly a little more often. Again, I'm just stating my pet peeve with him but overall, I'm still a big fan of his.
    Updated 03-10-2012 at 10:05 AM by Dubs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.