View RSS Feed

RatedATB

That Wrestling Blog - WWE Needs another ECW

Rate this Entry
What's poppin folks! RatedATB back at it again with another edition of That Wrestling Blog! I wasn't going to do another blog until I did the next part of my Wrestlemania mini-series, but this is something I wanted to touch upon. In my honest opinion, I think WWE needs another show like ECW to get the younger talent over. And no I'm not talking about NXT, or at least the current NXT. I think we need another show that has a lead figure head, a championship, and one or two veterans to help get the young talent over. I wont explain everything in this paragraph, so without further ado...

So let's take a quick look back at 2006. ECW was just revived and they did everything in their power to make it look like a credible show. Guys like Big Show, RVD, Test, and Hardcore Holly, along with ECW Originals such as Sabu, Sandman, and Tommy Dreamer were great in helping young guys such as CM Punk, Elijah Burke, and many more look like credible wrestlers. As the years went on they ditched the ECW idea, kept the name, and made it a bigger production of an FCW. It introduced guys like Jack Swagger, Sheamus, Evan Bourne, and Kofi Kingston who all became huge parts of ECW and later moved on to great success on Raw and Smackdown. They kept the veterans, using guys like Chavo Guerrero, Mark Henry, Matt Hardy, Christian, and Finlay, who all had a huge part in making the younger guys look like credible mid-card, upper-mid card, and even main eventers. It also gave announcers a spot on the show, and helped them polish up their work and got them ready for the bigger shows. It even helped out referees and announcers. Needless to say, ECW was an awesome place to display young talent and get them ready for the big time.

Now you can make the argument that NXT is doing the same, but it just isn't. They don't have those veterans that are credible enough to get the young talent over, and it isn't broadcast on a national network. The only talent you can make the argument of being veterans are the already established WWE stars like Tyson Kidd, Reks/Hawkins, etc.. Yet none of those guys have the credibility to be known as veterans and can't really get anyone over because they themselves aren't over. What they need is to become the next ECW, and here's some steps they should take to make it such.

First and foremost they need a championship that people can fight for. Nothing gets people over like winning a championship, or having the credibility to chase it. Doesn't have to be fancy, NXT Heavyweight Championship is good enough, but they need something. They also need a wrestler credible enough to hold such a belt. If it were up to me, I'd send Wade Barrett over and have him start out as NXT champion. I know that would tick people off, but like it or not he's not ready for a world title, he just isn't. Have him go back, say he won the first NXT competition, and that makes it his right to be champion. Let him get his feet wet as a champion before he goes anywhere near a world title. And it's not like it'd be him and a bunch of rookies, I'd have credible opponents for him, put like Bourne on the show, maybe even someone like a Booker T. He could be a great older guy that helps these younger guys out, getting them used to a bigger stage. Doesn't HAVE to be Booker, that was just an example. Maybe put Big Show over there, he did well in ECW.

Secondly they need a figure head, which they did do and I'm glad they did, and it's Regal which I think is perfect. Although I would like to see him as one of the Veterans to help the young guys out, I would love for him to even be NXT champion and feud with Barrett at the beginning, that to me would be the perfect feud to get this show going. I think the commentary team is fine, and if I'm not mistaken it's Regal/Matthews? I think the two do well together but I don't like the idea of Regal doing both GM and announcer so maybe get Stanford in the booth? He does well in my opinion, and it would be a nice way to get him more known.

Third and most important they'd need the roster, which would be see the current roster, and throw in Evan Bourne, Barrett (only for a short while. Have him come in, dominate, drop the belt, move up to the main events on Raw/Smackdown) Zack Ryder (he's not doing anything on Raw, and since he's so over he could be decent at getting other people over and it would bring interest to the show), and bring up a few FCW talents such as Seth Rollins, Antonio Cesaro, Kassius Ohno, and Dean Ambrose. Maybe cut a few people, like JTG, Slater, and maybe even Johnny Curtis...the guy does nothing as far as I'm concerned.

I know this is a long shot, but I definitely think this is necessary to happen. Guys like Rollins will never get over in WWE if they don't have a way to get recognition. You know he wont thrive on a Raw or Smackdown, and going on the current NXT will do nothing for him. A third brand is necessary, and I'd even end the brand separation between Raw and Smackdown, and make NXT the second brand. Give it distinction from the main show. And again with Barrett, it would be temporary and it would help get his feat wet as a proper main eventer. Think of the credibility he'd have going in as already having held a top championship, without damaging any cred to himself or the World/WWE title. Giving the title to him too soon would only make any future championship win seem tarnished. I know a lot will disagree with me but he is NOT ready for a world title right now, and giving it to him would only hurt him, and that is brutal honesty. I'll leave it at that because that's a whole other blog. Until next time folks, it's been real, it's been fun, but it hasn't been real fun. Deuces!

Submit "That Wrestling Blog - WWE Needs another ECW" to Digg Submit "That Wrestling Blog - WWE Needs another ECW" to del.icio.us Submit "That Wrestling Blog - WWE Needs another ECW" to StumbleUpon Submit "That Wrestling Blog - WWE Needs another ECW" to Google

Comments

Another great blog broheim. Honestly, if the Network for the WWE works out, I could easily see a large influx of talent, and an actual third brand being established, instead of just two separate shows(Nxt, Superstars).
    Good read. Agree on Barrett, he's not ready and this would not hurt his career in any way. He has time and that time will come.

The rehaul would be good. I'm afraid the WWE / business right now lacks credible veterans. And I'd rather see Cesaro/Ohno enter via the tag team route.

I liked the read, thanks.
    I completely agree with you on bringing a third brand. Besides, it makes the WWE Draft funner to watch when you have 3 brands competing for a roster. It also creates special nights when all 3 brands are on one show like the Slammys for example.

One thing I want to know is why you do not think Barret is ready for a world championship? I just want to know your personal opinion and more then likely you will change mine.
    Overall, it was a blog worth reading. Thank you
    Good read but probably not realistic. IIRC ECW's ratings were not very good and a lot of it has to do with knowing its the third best show WWE is producing. I was never interested in watching ECW when the fourth biggest name on the show was Hardcore Holly.

I liked a blog on here that talked about going back to the jobber system for up and comer wrestlers. Rather than do what WWE has been doing with many talents and pushing them early by giving them a championship belt, they should go back to building credibility by making most of them start out as jobbers so when they do start winning against mid carders and have a gimmick that works it will seem like a big deal.

WWE made it not matter so much when an up and comer beats an established star. If you got back to that WWE would be better at creating new stars without any kind of ECW.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyV123
    Good read but probably not realistic. IIRC ECW's ratings were not very good and a lot of it has to do with knowing its the third best show WWE is producing. I was never interested in watching ECW when the fourth biggest name on the show was Hardcore Holly.

I liked a blog on here that talked about going back to the jobber system for up and comer wrestlers. Rather than do what WWE has been doing with many talents and pushing them early by giving them a championship belt, they should go back to building credibility by making most of them start out as jobbers so when they do start winning against mid carders and have a gimmick that works it will seem like a big deal.

WWE made it not matter so much when an up and comer beats an established star. If you got back to that WWE would be better at creating new stars without any kind of ECW.
    Oh I agree completely with that. I wish they'd do that in fact. Why give away a CM Punk/Daniel Bryan (just an example) match away on free tv? If one wins, then the other looks less important, and then he doesn't get as over, when you could put them both against jobbers, make each other look strong, and then there is huge interest in the match that eventually takes place. I just think the third brand is a bit more realistic than returning to the jobber system. Doesn't mean I'd prefer it however.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.